Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Help! with anxiety! is there anything other than alcohol than can stop it?!

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

So today I went downtown to buy a laptop, I got the train downtown, getting on the train was OK. But as soon as I got off the train & out of the station I started having butterflys in my stomach & was extremely anxious, I tried to tell myself I was just being stupid & tried to block it out. But the other voice was shouting get to the nearest bar asap you'll be safe there. So stupidly I listened to that voice & headed straight for the nearest bar. I thought ill just have a couple of pints to take the edge off... Then I was thinking ill just have a quick spin on the video lottery terminal... I just couldnt stop drinking or gambling... Its like something took over... I cant explain it. Im sure this is a familiar story. The trigger was soley my anxiety & having to walk 2 blocks.. Which is ridiculous now I think about it. Its like I need alcohol to get around, without it im a nervous reck. So as you can imagine I never did get my new laptop instead I pissed & gambled away $760 in 5 hours... Now I just feel like an idiot.

So is there any other way of getting around my anxiety without diving to the nearest bar...

I cant go to the doctor here yet. As I dont have a visa & I am techinically still a UK citizen. I am patiently waiting for my visa to arrive but this could take months & months... & I need help now before it gets any worse if thats possible.

I am messing up in grand style. I just wish there was a way to cure my anxiety like alcohol does, it seems to be the only easy solution so I can get around & complete my daily tasks. But at the sametime its obviously doing a lot of damage. I dont want to end up back in hospital with a DT but I just cant find a way around it....

Anyway thanks for reading.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you follow through on that link Anna gave you mjs?

I can't see any reason why you can't see a doctor - tourists non residents and international visitors must have access to doctors, even in Canada, surely?

Make an appointment - let us know how you get on.

D
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi yeah, I checked it out just now, in all honesty I was a little bit drunk last time I posted. I dont remember much of it. Im not really sober now. But sober enough to remember my posts. Probably not ideal I tryn seek help while intoxicated but it seems to be the only time I can open up to people.

As far as im aware you need a medicare card in Canada, but the link Anna sent could be of interest. I think in all honesty its going to go one way or the other... Ill endup back in hospital or ill start taking my disulfiram again & go at the anxiety cold turkey so to speak. I might be a nervous wreck for a while, but I have quit for a year before on my own with only disulfiram to help me. I think starting tomorrow morning I'm just gonna say to hell with it. Take my disulfiram & really make an effort again. The anxiety will probably be overwhelming at first but I have to do something.]
Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd check out the link- Anna's Canadian, so she knows the lay of the land there

D
Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You should goto the hospital either way and explain the situation. I understand what youre going through and there has to be something they can prescribe. Keep pushing is what everyone tells me. Good luck! btw, what is the link?
(im in Montreal too!)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! I have anxiety as well and learned that alcohol may temporarily take the edge off, it actually FEEDS the anxiety making it worse.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Treating anxiety with alcohol is a very short trip to full blown abuse. I did that, and before I knew it I was consuming 20 drinks a day. Once I accepted that I was the absolute cause of my anxiety I found relief, and became stronger each day.

You became anxious as soon as you got off the train for a reason, thats called anticipatory anxiety. You think about it so much that it happens, the mind is very powerful, you thought of something, and it caused a physical reaction in your body.
Once you really start believing that, you will most likely see great success.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, just what "ship" just posted. I going through a severe anxiety period right now. I did the drinking thing too, to help get relaxed. For me and I am sure most everyone it is not the way to handle anxiety/stress. I drank to calm my fears and feelings for a good 15 years or so. Never learning how to cope or manage in a positive way. I am trying to wait patiently for a phone call right now hopefully I can get in to a doctors office or hospital. I know that if I pick up what will happen. And yes I want a drink comes and goes but the waiting is hard, but am trying to manage. I am an alcoholic and for me once I get the first drop I am gone.
I been feeling like this for almost 2 weeks. It has been he**. Broken out with stress blisters. No insurance or job. The emergency room visit walked out with a prescription for xanax. It helped but I went down the xanax route a couple of times started drinking on it. For me the addiction for these things is very strong. My wife and manage how I took them but it was a for a couple of days worth.

Not sure if this helps or not but keep on reading and writing/posting.

I hope that things work out for you.

Thanks for your post you have helped me out.

Dean
Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

One thing that has been helpful to me is just doing deep breathing. It is harder than it sounds in a panic attack because you may have to do it for several minutes all while your body seems to be pushing you to do otherwise.

But there are big advantages:
- Even five minutes is faster than the time it takes to get to and order a drink at a bar.
- It doesn't cost anything.
- You can do it anywhere (except underwater.)
- You don't lose sobriety.
- It works. I was told it tricks your brain into thinking everything is okay.

And one of the things I was encouraged to do in therapy is practice it even when I'm not having a panic attack. It sort of gets you in the habit so when anxiety strikes you don't forget about it and go back to your first habit of drinking.