Notices

Im grateful for...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im grateful for...

Im grateful for being alive! The way I was and where I was going, I really dont know where Id be today. Ive been off drugs/alcohol since may (have had a few slips) but was headed for a complete nervous breakdown. I kept fainting and my emotions were just all over the place. I prayed nightly for help and was completely stuck in every way possible. The doctor said thats where I was headed. The drugs and alcohol took a hold of me when I was 24 and took over my life for about 3 1/2 years. I started believing they would help with my terrible anxiety/depression, and they did, for the first month, and then they took complete control. Mostly marijuana (3 grams a day by the end) and hard liquor as much as possible (vodka!). I would wake up, smoke, all day smoke/drink, goto bed high or just pass out. I cant believe how bad things became for me now that im clear headed and can see straight (literally!) I feel as though I might have as well been in jail for those years! I cut off all contact from most people and would just use and seclude myself, unless of course you had something I could use. My anxiety only became worse, I drained my bank account to zero and lost all relationships and friendships. Im also grateful ive found this page, as I see many others can and probably do relate. I attend NA/AA meetings as much as I can and I am back on track to putting my life in order. It was like a bad dream, as 'did that really happen?'!
I dont know what happened in May 2010, but I did have what some would call a 'spiritual awakening' and lost the *desire/craving* to use, something I really believed id never lose or would have to go to inpatient rehab, and I know I would have never went! Im so grateful that god, or a 'higher power', or wtv was able to relieve me of that sickness. Now I know I need to stay away from people who use and would influence me, as I cant be around it while im in recovery. Im doing my 12 steps and have a new found appreciation for life. Im starting all over so to speak. I think 'If anytime I should use, it should be now!' because im stuck building back my bank account from nothing, lost all my relationships and ignored those who tried to help. So its a whole new friend set and people in my life. Im trying my hardest and strongly believe I will overcome it and continue to remain clean and sober. I hope whomever is reading this, if youre also clean and sober, stay there!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Marticus
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Marticus and thank you for taking the time to share. Keep up the gratitude because it will keep you focused and on track in my opinion.