Notices

If you are nervous about something new...

Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

If you are nervous about something new...

It probably means it is your chance to grow. Today I was nervous as hell trying to find my sponser so we could meet up and talk, and I was just thinking about how I need to push through the nervousness and enjoy something new. Helping in my process to learn something new and grow is knowing that everytime I am doing something that involves work, growing as person, or something new, I am going to feel alittle stressed. I have to push through that and enjoy it (Or I would have never done some cool stuff like going on roller coaster or making a new friend). I met up, everything went fine, I feel I learned the maximum amount for the time I put in today.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear McRibb

D
Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right Mcribb, new things are always tough, but pushing ourselves to do them, provided they are safe, is a great way to move forward. I have been getting out more, which is a big accomplishment. I think I was close to becoming a hermit. Now, I am looking at taking up a hobby.

I am happy to read your progress... continue enjoying your sober world.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

for me, recovery has been about courage, not comfort. New stuff is scary, and EVERYTHING about recovery was new to me.

blessings
zenbear
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yer right Z and McRibb....... they promised us a new life and a whole new outlook on life along with a bunch of other stuff. The massive changes that come with and in sobriety "seem" scary as heII sometimes but part of my job is having the courage to change the things I can. I don't always have that courage.......which is my "opportunity" to go to a power greater than myself to get that courage.

It's absolutely amazing to see how much and how often "fear" ran my life and still runs it today, to a lessor degree (I hope ). Trying to walk the spiritual path is a complete 180 from going anywhere you want and drinking to forget / drinking to be comfortable. It's just going to feel "funny" for a while but the more we practice it, the more natural it starts to feel.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Excellent, Mcribb,

You are right on--I know I get "stuck" in the familiar (where I'm already unhappy) because I get scared of change. I know what to expect here--I might not be happy, but I know what to expect.

Fear is what holds most of us back from achieving our potential. The only way forward is by pushing the envelope.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

The really dumb thing is I am a comedian so I am used to going up in front of strangers and telling jokes, it is still nerve racking doing small things. I am supposed to pick up pop and a cooler for this new sober group for a picnic we are having, and I am nervous about screwing it up haha I am sure it will be fine. It is just crazy the things I get stressed about sometimes.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, you know the old saying: Anything worth doing is usually hard.

Congratulations on persevering.