Notices

I was on here years ago

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was on here years ago

and for read mainly in the anxiety forums, the getting off benzo forums and at one point, after reading about alcohol dependency went to AA for a while.

Got totally off everything for a few years. Now back on benzodiazipines.

Come from a very dysfunctional family (Mother was a fatalistic drinker) and my father was the enabler. I never realized how dysfunctional we were until I had no contact with all my family for several months and read about dysfucntional families on these forums.

My father remarried very quickly a much younger woman who has just ripped apart the finances of my father which has been just a blow to us. These finances were in place for his long term care.

She had him only file bankruptcy (not her) and has even gotten with power of attorney his burial policy -by taking loans against the policy and has been making a hint there is not money to pay for a funeral (he is very ill and recently had another stroke).

Having great difficulty (yes am getting help) with this. But felt I finally needed to read more in the ACOA section.

As I have read about alcoholics take over a persons life (and that did happen with me and my Mom - this is quickly becoming even worse - and know that is not healthy after reading these forums.)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I don't really have any advice for you, but wanted to extend a warm welcome anyway. Do you have siblings that are sharing the situation of your father with you? Have you confronted this woman, or your father with your concerns? Keep posting, and best of luck!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My father-in-law is in a similar situation with his second wife, though not to the point of bankruptcy, thank goodness. My husband and his sisters have dealt with the situation as best they can. I am glad that you are getting help with this, and it's probably a good idea for you to try to maintain boundaries for yourself so you don't get completely drawn into the mess.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to SR MMkM
I'm sorry for your family worries, but I'm glad you've found some help for the benzos.

D