Notices

Another newcomer

Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another newcomer

Hey everyone...

Searched for a few sobriety / substance abuse forums, and this one seemed to be the most informative.

I'm a 19 year old living a double life that is rapidly falling apart: To those unaware of my lifestyle, I'm viewed as the mature one with common sense and a bright future.

When I was 16 my friend's 'mature' parents thought it was appropriate to give their 15 year old son's friends alcoholic beverages. Not that I'm putting all the the blame on them, but I didn't start to drink with them until almost a year later. I now realize that we all conform to the social groups we are apart of, it's only a matter of time.

So one thing lead to another and by 18 I'd been drunk driving on a weekly basis, abusing ecstasy, methylone (research chemical analogue of X), numerous psychedelics, prescription painkillers, binge drinking, and combinations of them.

Fortunately I haven't stepped up to heroin/meth like a few of my friends have...but considering at 16 I never thought in a million years I would be in this position, it's safe to say I will keep digging the hole deeper and deeper if I don't change my ways now.

Pathetic part is for the longest time I had convinced myself I was only a recreational user...that is until I started logging my drug use on a calendar. This was the first indication that I had a problem.

That's why I'm here.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! And congrats on figuring out youve got a problem. Any ideas how you want totackle it?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm viewed as the mature one with common sense and a bright future.

Well, despite your issues with substance abuse, I'm not going to dispute that. It's not very often, I don't think, that someone as young as you are figures this out. You have a real strength: smarts and maturity. This will serve you very, very well as you get sober.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on coming here and making that first step to getting clean!! WELCOME!!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here. You don't have to progress any further into any "new" substances. There is hope! This is a great place for support. We do recover.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, I too am the logical responsible one.
My drinking career started much the same way with my BF alcoholic mom giving us alcohol at 16. Did not like it much until a friend decided I needed to get really drunk at 17. It was the beginning of my Senior year and my father had just walked on Sat and my boyfriend dumped me on the Sunday. I also had watched my father drink his whole life and still hold down a job etc, so I was familiar with the behavior, but was never really exposed to the consequences. In my life drinking was normal.
Believe me, after almost 30 years I still actually remember that night and realize now that I have never had a normal realtionship with alcohol.
This site is amazing, you will find a lot of support.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AppleJuice

I'm really glad you're so self aware so young...it took me another 20 years to get it.

I don't think it matters as much how you got into it - it's how you'll get out of it now that matters.

You find a lot of support and encouragement here, but I don't think anyone ever wishes they had less support - have you got a plan besides SR as well (AA/NA, SMART etc?)?

Welcome
D
Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, AppleJuice,

I really can identify with your feeling that you're living a "double life". That's one of the things that attracted me to alcohol much later in my life--that I could do my own thing in private, away from anyone else. As it took over more and more of my life, though, it stopped being a secret indulgence, and instead made me isolated and ashamed.

Glad you're making such a good decision to get clean and sober now, while you still have so much ahead of you.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Big first move..... admitting you've got a problem.

You're off to a great start.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're here and that you've decided to get rid of the substances. It get's easier as you go along, but just take it a day at a time. If you get the urge to drink or use, tell yourself to wait until "tomorrow," and just get through it. This is a great place to come when you need support, so keep posting and reading. It only gets worse the longer we stay in our addictions.:ghug3
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Then the bird said 'Nevermore'

WELCOME! Ohhh ~ i am so happy you joined this forum (it is the best!) you will find enormous amounts of knowledge and support here! and if you really listen to the advice you are sure to receive - you will be taking GREAT steps towards recovery and sobriety IF that is something that you want? I hope it is! at such a young age the rate that you have been moving is sure to cause tremendous amounts of pain, if it hasn't already! If you are up for it, you are ALREADY equipped with the strength to overcome the demon of addiction! HOW COMFORTING IS THAT?!!

Addiction to drugs/alcohol is the most selfish disease. It will strip you of anything and everything you love - and will do it so fast you will not even know it is happening.

Post here often and read as much as you can! There is a surplus of information here PERFECT for you!

Congratulations and welcome to the first day of taking your life back!

xoxo~
Summer.