OT:what do you do with your precious spare time?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT:what do you do with your precious spare time?

the littl'uns have just gone off to my mother's for 5 days, to help me out with childcare, give me some very-needed time off, and to spend time with their precious grand-kids. Mixed feelings at the moment.

I have a list of "projects" as long as my arm on my to-do list, and will catch up on sleep and hope to meet some friends for a night out, and be able to spontaneously do things without worrying about whether it's child-friendly, when they need to eat/sleep/ if they'll be bored/cold etc.

and, I'm still working full-time during the day, so I don't want to over-plan! but I'd love it if you could share what you do JUST FOR YOU with your free moments/evenings
Old 08-22-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

SR

go for power walks (fast paced) with headphones on (attached to music source)

SR

give myself a pedicure, complete with salt scrub and foot massage

SR

organize my personal space

SR

watch a funny movie

SR

turn the stereo up too loud and boogie!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jen, it's great that you have some time to enjoy yourself. When I have spare time I like to spend time either on my own to re-charge batteries or with friends. I love catching up on tv/films missed and books I want to read but never have the time. Having long lunches with friends, going shopping etc. Putting your needs first is good for the soul! Enjoy x
Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

OOH i love going for walks at the "GARDENS" and looking at the new and old plants....that is my best past time....(taking a note pad with me...hummm what would i like in my own garden)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yoga for 15 minutes has become more and more important to me on many levels.

bicycle to the grocery store and pick up a few things.

work in the vegetable garden

make a big healthy salad and my own salad dressing and eat it!

make green juice in my juicer, after picking fresh greens from the yard

lie down on my bed and just let my mind rest
Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Go for a nice long hike with my dog
Tinker
Meet a friend for coffee
Make plans for an outdoor excursion
Look at motorcycles
Clean - a great way I deal with something that's bugging me and the end result is a peaceful/inviting home.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ENJOY the "it's all about ME time". Or maybe "it's about time it's all about me"--whatever works.

Hugs,
posie
Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

This is a really good question for me just now! I have just had a week off work. Usually, when I have time off, I take on a household project and go for it. I potter in the garden and I read and generally slob around. This week has been a little different - I've actually treated it as a holiday and done things just for me - and it's been a lot of fun!

Monday I took a picnic lunch to Troon beach (I haven't been there since I was a wee girl and it was lovely) and took the coast road part way home, stopping off here and there to enjoy the scenery etc.

Tuesday I visited the Falkirk Wheel and took a boat ride.

Wednesday I met a friend in town and had lunch.

Thursday I decided to travel along the Clyde Valley, taking in the scenery and visiting the garden centres and nabbed a bargain or two!

Friday I went to the cinema in the afternoon with a friend to see Inception. We shared popcorn and juice and totally enjoyed ourselves.

Yesterday I went out to a nice restaurant with another friend for dinner and then on to a quiet pub for a couple of drinks and a lot of chatting!

And today? I took my mum out for lunch and visited yet another garden centre (for more bargains) and had some fun!

I still haven't cleaned out the cupboard I was planning to tackle, nor have I dug out 2 new beds in my garden for herbs and flowers next year. I need to mow the lawn and I haven't tackled any of the little things on my to do list. They are all still there waiting to be done and I will get round to them. Actually leaving all that stuff to one side and just go out and have some fun makes a big change for me when I have time to myself! It has taken a bit of a shift in thinking. I am actually worth this. I deserve to actually have a holiday and do holiday things when I'm not at work. Have to go back tomorrow though! Sigh.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Boating, build amps, play guitar, read amp forums, boating, happy hour, play guitar, build amps, boating.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, there are some lovely ideas there although i don't think I'm going to branch into amp building this week I may pick up some sewing that I haven't done for a while.

I have met a friend for lunch today, sat in the semi-sunshine in a garden with a hot-tub chattering and reading the sunday papers. I have two nights of meeting friends planned: one for an art-house cinema trip/theatre and one for a less "cultural" catch-up, I have decided to not do any of my long list of projects other than spring (ahem) clean my room. I never get round to tidying my bedroom, as I always do all other areas of the house first, so it is piled high with clean washing waiting to be sorted and piles of paperwork mixed in with children's toys/drawings/things to be fixed that migrate into my room. I am going to make my space lovely and bag up all of exes clothes (that are still hanging in his ward-robes waiting for him to collect them) and put them in the loft and move my stuff into them. I haven't moved them yet because I was scared of his reaction, but stuff it, let him react. I am claiming my space.

The rest of it can wait.

Other than that I am going to buy 1 set of new clothes (I feel like a scarecrow at work at the moment) and actually try them on before buying them (which again I never have time to do) and try and go to a garden cantre - BUT I am only allowing myself to buy 1 plant as I can go a bit overboard.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh and I am going to walk to work and back - its only 2 miles, I have to go through the grounds of a castle with beautiful gardens and accross a wide, clean river: madness that I can't fit that in daily usually