Notices

Mass Start Quit?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Mass Start Quit?

If anyone is interested in picking a date in the next couple days, post away. We could start a thread on the day we choose and use it for updates, vents, checkins, support etc. Any interest? Or if you've recently quit join in as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm a week in after tonight and it really wasn't until this morning that I just feel fantastic. Although once I got to day 4 there was no way I was going to get a pack.
I had tried cold turkey so many times in the past and would usually fail on day 2. What helped huge this time is I quit drinking coffee/caffeine a week before I tried to quit. Those 2 were just impossibly linked and a trigger to smoke.
If you are a coffee smoker you really might want to consider it.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that smoking halves the effect of caffeine... Think this attempt is cold turkey from both.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anyone? I'm thinking of a start date early next week. Im fairly sure we have at least a couple of active smokers here?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One more try; bumping this to tbe top... I don't wanna do it alone! But will.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

EW,
Great news about you quitting !

I'm still a nicotine junkie, but am getting closer to making the decision. 4-4-10 is my dos and for some obscure reasoning , I'm thinking any longer than 6 months later, doesn't sound like a good idea. Times a' tickin for me now.

I work late, till 2-3 am and rolling my own for 15 years now. Seriously worried about w/d's . Definitely will use a gum or something for a short time, I guess ?

Do you have any stratagies laid out ?
My last time, in 88', was the same idea I used as a last resort with booze. Something I remembered (?!?) from my first meeting.

"don't take a drink ; ...if your ass falls off "

First time on this thread; ......convieniently avoiding it until tonight ! Guess that's a good sign, anyway.

Take care,
Stay Strong, my friend
Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 6 right now, that is close??? We can still help each other? Ask cat if you know her she wants to quit too, she has a post here too, find her and tell her to join the bandwagon YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wed start for me..

Thanks TS and B. Anyone who has quit regardless of when is more than welcome and appreciated for their wisdom struggles experience etc. This time I'm going to go cold turkey, will use relaxation exercises/distraction activities, ie. deep breating, pushups etc. As well as carrots/straws toothpicks for the habit of holding something in my hand. Thinking of doing some silly ritual/ceremony with my last cig. Tried replacement therapy and it doesnt work for me. So... Cold Trukey start Wed. morning. Soooo... Plan is I'll start a post sometime wed morning with a cute title like "Smoked Lemmings who are COPD out" or something.... The idea of cheking in daily will hopefully make me more accountable, participation of others will ad humor, support etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I'm not planning on quitting, but I could pop in each day and tell a joke.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just before my '82 marriage, I had
wished that my fiancee' at that time
would stop smoking just to have a
smoke free husband.

Sure enough, he came down with
phnemonea(sp?) and was pretty
sick and weak. His mom and I
decided to help him to not smoke
anymore, so we put tootsie pops
in his hand.

We did get married and he was
a non smoker. YES....!

During my 25 yr marriage I tried
to smoke just to be cool and was
also a part of my drinking story.

I would get neaseus each time i
puffed and would turn green with
dizzy feelings. yuk..!

I decided to let that go.

My 1st marriage ended and
here I am 20 yrs sober and
happily married now.

My new husband smoked cigars
when i met him, and that didnt
bother me. He had stopped smoking
once yrs ago and after we married
he decided to quit again.

Once again im in a no smoke
marriage and living happy joyous
and free.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Off to buy last pack (marlboro light menthol)... Funny observation, I will at times ADD and forget things, but always know (knew) how many cigs i had left (the exact number). Any one else?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm big on the straws right now. It's getting better, but I feel sort of foggy, like I'm dizzy or in the clouds, or wait is that how I always am? probably

YOU CAN DO IT, let's keep this post going!!!!!!!! It's fun to have a team!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just do it..I'm on day 12 and feel great.
I started jogging on the 4th day, keeping time and can already feel my lungs getting stronger.
The first 3 days I basically ate whatever I wanted and watched a ton of movies. Tacos, pizza..i was going crazy.
The first 5 days it was squashing the ******** excuses I thought up as to why I should go buy a pack and try to quit another time.
If you smoke inside you really should consider cleaning your house good too..
My first day I spent at home, but then went to my parents and spent the night on the second day..When I came home on the 3rd day with my sense of smell back I couldn't believe how much my house smelled like smoke. Just that smell almost beat me but instead I got out this lysol cleaner and scrubbed the floor, walls, everything.
I think a bunch of prior attempts were ruined on the second day with my sense of smell coming back slowly so it was like trying to quit while sitting inside an ash tray and the smell driving yourself nuts.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Debating whether to go buy one more pack, or smoke butts. I think this thought speaks to the grossness, horror and irrationality of this specific addiction. Holding firm on tomorrow's quit date. Solicited TopSpin to join or at least make fun of me. Will purchase precut carrot pieces tonight for their placebo/oral fixation quelling properties. Am already feeling some sense of loss/mourning as well as a slight compulsion to jump on my bike and go buy ome last pack. Just popped into my mind that disease risk returns to about that of a never smoker in about 5 years...
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will tell kinix he is on day 3 today, this will be soooo cool. We must find a good club name???? PLEASE!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Buying one last pack... Stressfull day. I'm Jonesing really bad. Will post when finished (later today) with it and I'm on the wagon. Any name ideas Lexi et al? We could start a new thread with whatever we decide.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here we go... Smoked last butt to the filter about an hour ago. Eating seems to quell urges to smoke. About to go to bed.

"the smoke and booze don do me like befowoarrrrrr" Willie and Meryl

Love the idea of roaring down the fast lane like two young men feeling no pain.. Just don't want emphysema, cancer, copd etc. I wanna have another quality 20+ years.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

OK let us know how it's going. Everyone keep posting please!! I'm on day 8, day 9 in twenty minutes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 9 B? Any nicotine replacement going on? My quit date is pushed back a day or 18 cigarets; whichever comes first due to ummmm medical necessity. Any lingering rage, cravings etc. on day 9?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

New Start Mon...

Decided I need a couple relatively clam days to kick this thing off. Going to do it on Mon.... Arrrrgh... I feel my stress level go up and I convince myself that I "need" it! Nasty sick stuff. Talk a out perfect demand inelasticity in a product... Off to bust out a stressful, but hopefully productful day with the Devil's Crutch. On the plus side; I have a new level of haterd for this product... Wondering if letting go and letting God works for nicotine.