Reading for today?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading for today?

Does anyone have the al-anon reading for today? (I haven't been able to get a book yet).

It's been six years that I have had an alcoholic in my life. It's been three years since I have been to al-anon. This time, I really see how my life is unmanageable. I used to think it was his alcoholism that made "our" lives unmanageable. Now I clearly see my co-dependence is with me - whether he is in my life or not. I am committed to working the steps.

Can someone educate me on how to find a sponsor?

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello lightquest, and pleased to "meet" you

Originally Posted by lightquest View Post
....Does anyone have the al-anon reading for today? (I haven't been able to get a book yet). .....
Al-anon has asked that we not post from their books, as they need the revenue from sales to pay for expenses. You can order the book online here

Al-Anon Online Store : Home

or here

Amazon.com: Courage to Change: One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II (9780910034791): Al-Anon Family Group Head Inc: Books

Originally Posted by lightquest View Post
.... Can someone educate me on how to find a sponsor?.....
What I did was I went to as many meetings as I could for several months. Since each one has a different "flavor" I was looking for one that I felt comfortable at. I found several, and attend those regularly. Then I listened to the folks who shared, and noted how many times they said "I" as opposed to "you", "us", "we". The ones that are always giving advice and saying "you should", "we", "us" are the ones I stayed away from. Those who say "I" are the one who share their personal experience without trying to control, so I wrote down their names.

I called each one of the folks on my list and asked them out to coffee. I asked them how the program works in their life and just listened to them tell me how they live their lives. The ones that had a life that I wanted; serenity, tranquility, sanity I asked out again a couple weeks later. Soon I had the list down to three, and then one. The last one I asked to be my sponsor.

All of them have become good friends over the years.

Mike
Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome back to the family LQ!

Sorry that your A's relapse is what brings you back. Bummer!

You arrived at this moment for a reason. Your reaching out for support is a very healthy choice in taking care of YOU. Good on you!

I have been able to borrow books from my Alanon home group in the past. They let me take a book home for a week to see if it "fit my need".

I have also had a member loan me a daily reader until I could purchase my own copy.

Check with your local group and ask someone before or after the meeting. They may be able to help you get what you need to get started.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've also found good used AlAnon books on eBay or half.com or Amazon.

I recently divorced my AH of just over six years so I know where you're coming from. I've been going to AlAnon for just over a year and it's one of the best things I could have done. Welcome back.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
do a search for online alanon reading, it may show another day, but might be what you could use. Also hazelden.org - under resources are some thoughts of the day.