Feeling so good

Old 07-31-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling so good

My dad has had cancer for about ten years, this last year there was some 'activity' with it. I don't know the terms and stuff but it got bigger apparently.
So he had lots of intensive treatment at Christies, an amazing cancer hospital not too far from us.
Because this hospital part funds itself it depends on a lot of charity and fund raising. So as it's treated him very well for the past ten years I organised a sponsored walk, we did about 18 miles and should collect about £500, pretty good!

The reason I feel so good is because of one of the walkers. She was obnoxious! Really. I had thought she was potentially a 'freind' but oh no, no way.

We had kids walking with us, 5 under 16's, they were great, no complaints, lots of laughs and good times with them (my 3, one friend and my friends son) they made the whole 18 miles, one boy hurt his leg but insisted on carrying on regardless! My hero lol.

The other adults were a friend I've known forever, you know the kind you may not see for years but you just know the other is there for you whatever? She used to date my cousin years ago, married someone else and was my bridesmaid when I got married, that kind of friend. I just know she would be there if I ever really needed her, and I'd be there the same for her.
And the other is a recent adittion to my slightly more that aquaintances but not quite classed as a 'friend' yet people. She is no way about to become a fully fledged friend!
We started the walk two hours later to accommodate her contac appointment for her son (which she only remembered about this week) she moaned and whined for four hours before she decided her back was too sore to carry on, swore at the kids constantly like it was everyday conversation to her and bitched about them being spoiled because we stopped at a couple of shops to make sure they had drinks!

She knows there's something else in the pipeline for this charity and asked me to let her know the where and when about it. I actually made myself tell her that I didnt think it was a good idea for us to get together again right now, but if she wanted to do something for the charity that would be great and I'd donate something to her event.

I feel so good because I did the walk, raised money, got rubbed up the wrong way but didn't react, and said what I meant at the end of it all.

I insisted that my dad meet us at the end of the walk to have his photo taken with us, he was the inspiration after all, I just wish you could have seen his face when he got out of the car, it made the whole day worthwhile!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Lucy))) - I'm so glad the walk went well and your dad was there at the end. Also glad that you were able to distance yourself from the other woman. I have a tendency to not want to "stir up any feathers", so what you did is an inspiration to me.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all kudos on organizing and raising money AND getting the teens involved!! You rock!

But this:
got rubbed up the wrong way but didn't react, and said what I meant at the end of it all.
is what I really needed to hear today!

Why do I struggle so much with just saying what I mean in this life - without saying it mean??!!

Thanks for this Lucy- the look on your father's face - that must have been priceless.

Well done-
B
Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Lucy, you are such a beacon of light. Every post you make just shows what a wonderful person you are. I always look forward to reading your posts. I'm so glad that the walk went well and that your dad was there to see it. Keep doing what you're doing because it sure is working!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks for an upper of a post!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this Lucy ! Nice to hear it went so well. Always nice to hear happy news.