Notices

back to day one

Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

back to day one

Doggone it, made 11 days fairly easily. Started listening to music tonight which is a huge trigger and blew it. damn, will start over... Cant believe I blew it... Oh well...

Shane
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Shane but you're not alone - most of us fell a time or two.

Look at what happened & look at what more you can do next time, and get back on that horse

D
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well at least your Honest and your back on here to start again...Look at it as Just Minor Hiccup, you have done really well and you know you can do it again...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

So Shane, you can use this as a learning experience and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey man.

Music was a massive trigger for me too. Drinking, drugs and music went together like strawberries and cream, Fish and chips etcetcetc.

Basically it took me a long time to be able to really get my passion for music back and to lose myself in my music without getting sad and depressed and nostalgic about not being able to use alcohol or drugs to highten the experience.

I found that I had to really grieve and mourne booze. There is music now that I simply won't listen to, now that I don't take drugs or drink. However that particular music wasn't where my true passion was, so it doesn't bother me. That was chemical music for me and there for only one purpose. To kiss the sky in euphoric ecstacy. False and fake.

I have really discovered my passion for my music again, only now it doesn't bother me that I don't drink or take drugs anymore, rather it has given me a deeper connection to the music, as I now relate to lyrics and melodies in a different way.

The point being that it took me time. I listened to a lot of music for years when I was only ever drunk or under the influence of drugs. So I couldn't expect to break that association over night. It was like mourning a best friend/lover. But it had to be done and I'm grateful that I stuck it out "one day at a time".

peace
Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shane:
I remember telling a counselor that I feared that,with sobriety, I would cease to be able to "appreciate" really "good" music. Well I went on drinking and "appreciating" for years and years and finally realized that I was using music as a way of zonking out and perpetuating my denial.I think my brain had been conditioned to associate music with drinking. Pavlov's dog. Now, sober for 21 plus years, I can say that I appreciate music even more than before. In the earlier days I was using music as a cop out. Try smelling flowers and watching sunsets for awhile. Good luck.

Wpainterw
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just dust off and jump back on the path. You have to be careful with music, the reason we all love music so much is the power of it, and it can be too powerful! I'm in very early recovery, little over 3 weeks, and I have to be kind of selective of what I listen to or else my mind races. I was on day 3 when the sadness is so overwhelming and heard the GnR classic November Rain and had to turn it off, was just way to sad! Take care .
Old 07-29-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good for you for getting right back up and starting again.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eleven days is pretty great! Just don't do it again, and it's just a slip on the way to full recovery. Who do you like to listen to?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You're going to be OK, Shane - Just remember to focus on what you're going to do today to stay sober. Get back to taking it one day (or hour) at a time.

I know there were things I did while drinking that I couldn't do for weeks or months after getting sober. After several months, I feel that I can now do them, so it really does get better.

It's good that you know what kind of mood/trigger you had. Firm up your resolve and get back to business and definitely be kind to yourself (don't beat yourself up for this).:ghug3
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll just start over again today.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good show Shane by coming back. Relapse does happen, not many get this the first time around. Beware though, for there are some that never got back to stay and ended up in a grave.

Keep this in mind if you can. You don't have to do this for a lifetime, do it just for today, one day at a time.

This time around, someone told me not to set any goals. Like, I want to stay sober for the rest of my life. If only I can make it to, a certain length of time, I'll be okay once I get past that point.

Sometimes it's hard enough to just do it in minutes, let alone a day.

:ghug3 Glad to see you back though and am looking forward to your progress.

God bless,

Harry
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't give up, Shane.