Notices

Got to quit smoking!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got to quit smoking!

Hi all!

Wow - this is a big month for me. I quit drinking on 7/13 and now I have got to quit smoking. Since I quit drinking I've felt this annoying pain in my left temple which has now proceeded to my ear and whole side of my head. I'm breaking down to go to a doctor today and determine if it's an ear infection or not. I'm sure it is and smoking is the worse thing I can do right now.

I won't bore everyone with the 101 reasons to quit but am typing a list that I will prominently display on the wall in front of me of the reasons I should QUIT.

I've got four smokes left and am going to ride them out. I'd hate to quit cold turkey, but...... Also I am fortunate enough to have an unopened bottle of Commit lozenges I'm going to break open today.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

There was a JAMA study a few years back that determined smoking killed more alcoholics than drinking did. It is amazing the number of people that still smoke and think they are "clean" and sober. It is a terribly addictive destructive addiction. Good luck with it. I think the patch a better option for NRT as it does not reinforce the reach for a fix habit. Whatever works for you would be great however. Just don't give up.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you should see a doctor right away. I am no doctor but common sense tells me that when you were drinking, alcohol thins your blood making it move more smoothly about the veins in your body much the way they recommend aspirin to heart patients to keep the blood thin. We also know that smoking ups the % for a stroke so myself I don't think I would put off going to the doctor.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm leaving for the doc in a half an hour. Since this is a 'free' clinic, I have no idea what to expect besides a long wait. Obviously I do NOT have any form of health insurance.

It's all going to be good though!

I'll let you all know how it goes when I return.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cat, Congratulations on your decisions to quit smoking and to quit drinking. I continued to smoke for many years after getting sober, but once I was sick & tired to the yellow stains and the smell of stale smoke I was able drop the cigs. I used a drug called Chantix, which was wonderful. It helped me to "think it through" when I considered "just one". However, I think the most important thing I did was to develop a network of support. I used an on-line smoking cessation forum. It kept my hands busy--sometimes just participating is silly little exchanges. Those people became my new friends, and when the stress hit I ran to them instead of a smoke. I think that the turning point, and it happened before my lask cigarette, was when I decided I wanted to be a non-smoker. That is different from want to quit smoking, BTW. I wrote a farewell letter to smoking, I developed a visual image of myself as a smoker, and I embrace possibilities. I also knew I never wanted to go through quitting again, and that was enough to keep me from picking up a cigarette. Good luck to you, and keep in touch.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Guys

Forget to update from yesterday's adventures. I got to the clinic and to my dismay, they weren't taking any new patients! Nonetheless, I've got some antibiotics that may cure the issue.

Murrill - I hope to NOT continue smoking very much longer and have heard that Chantix is a great product. If I can ever find or afford a doc visit, I will certainly check it out. Life as I live it is quite a challenge without insurance, or a vehicle and limited income.

BUT the bright side is I'm sober again today!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm quitting on August 1st, if you want the same start date!!! Keep me posted
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Balou View Post
I'm quitting on August 1st, if you want the same start date!!! Keep me posted
Balou - I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow but my ultimate goal is before the 15th when I move. I will NOT smoke at the new house and hate being a prisoner to the smoking. That sounds rather familiar with drinking.

Nonetheless, I'm determined this time!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cat1961,
I just sent you (PM) a link to Alan Carr's "The easy way" book(free e-book). It works, particularly in the case of people like you- people that are commited to quitting.

Hate to say it but cold turkey is the most effective way to quit, Mr. Carr helps you accomplish that will as little trouble as possible. Once you get through the first three days you will be better every day.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Cat1961,
I just sent you (PM) a link to Alan Carr's "The easy way" book(free e-book). It works, particularly in the case of people like you- people that are commited to quitting.

Hate to say it but cold turkey is the most effective way to quit, Mr. Carr helps you accomplish that will as little trouble as possible. Once you get through the first three days you will be better every day.
Thanks Wartrace! Got it and will check it out while I'm waiting for the hard copy.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cat1961 View Post
Thanks Wartrace! Got it and will check it out while I'm waiting for the hard copy.
The link is the full book (e-book version).
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Wow - this is a big month for me. I quit drinking on 7/13 and now I have got to quit smoking. Since I quit drinking I've felt this annoying pain in my left temple which has now proceeded to my ear and whole side of my head. I'm breaking down to go to a doctor today and determine if it's an ear infection or not. I'm sure it is and smoking is the worse thing I can do right now.

I won't bore everyone with the 101 reasons to quit but am typing a list that I will prominently display on the wall in front of me of the reasons I should QUIT.

I've got four smokes left and am going to ride them out. I'd hate to quit cold turkey, but...... Also I am fortunate enough to have an unopened bottle of Commit lozenges I'm going to break open today.

Wish me luck!
HI Cat! I quit smoking 4 weeks ago. I use the lozenges too. They are a real Godsend to me. Although it has been several years since I quit drinking,I know where you are coming from. Good luck with your quit!
Becky
Four weeks, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 22 seconds. 1419 cigarettes not smoked, saving $198.78. Life saved: 4 days, 22 hours, 15 minutes.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cat!!!! I am on day 2 of no smoking right now, I really want to go out and buy a pack, yummmmm. I've been chewing on straws and eating candy/tootsie pops. It's horrible but better than detoxing, I can't wait for you to join me. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNVa View Post
HI Cat! I quit smoking 4 weeks ago. I use the lozenges too. They are a real Godsend to me. Although it has been several years since I quit drinking,I know where you are coming from. Good luck with your quit!
Becky
Four weeks, 9 hours, 32 minutes and 22 seconds. 1419 cigarettes not smoked, saving $198.78. Life saved: 4 days, 22 hours, 15 minutes.
Wow - what an inspiration! I'm reading my book and have really cut back. Money saved should be enough for me and I'm going to do it. Day 25 sobriety and nine days until my move. I am confident being in a new environment (brand new house) will force me to quit.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Hi Cat!!!! I am on day 2 of no smoking right now, I really want to go out and buy a pack, yummmmm. I've been chewing on straws and eating candy/tootsie pops. It's horrible but better than detoxing, I can't wait for you to join me. GOOD LUCK!!
Balou - that's awesome! I'm so proud of you and I'll be following your footsteps very soon. I'd better stock up on hard candy. *gets out shopping list, adds hard candy, check!*

Buying hard candy will certainly be cheaper than buying a pack any way you look at it.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is my official day to toss the cigs. I've gotten half way through Allen Carr's book and it's convinced me today that the time has come. Perfect timing where tomorrow will be day 31 of sobriety and day one of the smoke thing. Not to bad.....

Also, my brother just posted on FB that one of our old time buddies had just went to Hospice due to his frail body shutting down from lung cancer. He's not much older than me and this really hit me hard.

So, this is it and I'm sticking to it. I've already got my $3.50 (I would have used to buy a pack in the am) in the jar that I will contribute to on a daily basis. It's positioned right on my desk as a friendly reminder of how much money I will be saving...... not to mention saving my life.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is my official day to toss the cigs. I've gotten half way through Allen Carr's book and it's convinced me today that the time has come. Perfect timing where tomorrow will be day 31 of sobriety and day one of the smoke thing. Not to bad.....

Also, my brother just posted on FB that one of our old time buddies had just went to Hospice due to his frail body shutting down from lung cancer. He's not much older than me and this really hit me hard.

So, this is it and I'm sticking to it. I've already got my $3.50 (I would have used to buy a pack in the am) in the jar that I will contribute to on a daily basis. It's positioned right on my desk as a friendly reminder of how much money I will be saving...... not to mention saving my life.
Good luck with your quit!! It is so worth it!
Becky
One month, five days, 21 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds. 1844 cigarettes not smoked, saving $258.20. Life saved: 6 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This IS possible

Hello everyone, I'm just checking in, haven't been here in a while. I am celebrating 24 months of no cigs today and I just want all of you to know - including those of you reading these posts but who haven't yet joined - that you really truly can do this, and there is nothing more worth it. I cannot explain how different (and amazing) my life is now. Funny how we all (me at least) think about what kind of life we'll have as a "nonsmoker" and secretly think we don't really want to be that person (me anyway).

I remember posting my anniversaries with excitement, and I still am today, but it's different this time...sort of as if I'm remembering some other life. I know that it would only take one smoke for me to be there again, it's just that I can't imagine having that one - it's just not a part of me anymore. This forum was my saving grace & I couldn't have managed without all the people here everyday...A HUGE thank you to all who were here at that time...I so hope you all are doing well.

By the way, i smoked 15 years. Quit Aug 12 2008. Am now training for my first marathon in January!! And with a huge breath in, I can finally say and feel that I AM done in phoenix. Whether this is your first quit or your 100th, please please please keep up the quit, you can do it!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 24 months DoneInPhx!

I'll be there sometime (in about two years....)

I failed today as my first day but have a couple days until the pressure is really on with the big move and no smoking allowed.

On the other hand, I'm 31 days sober today. So...... life isn't so bad.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Did Alan Carr's book work for you? I sure hope so- It will be one year of none smoking for me next month, I hit the one year of not drinking a couple of days ago. I really, truely hope that you were able to quit- it is such a great feeling (after the first three days lol)