Notices

The "first" sober experiences

Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "first" sober experiences

I am waking up to day 13..yesterday was one of my hardest so far. Prior to my decision to stop drinking we had invited a wine loving couple over for dinner last nite, upon hearing I would not be drinking they suggested we "reschedule". We made another plan with another couple who barely drink. Dinner was fine, she had 1 glass of white zin (not even real wine to me) and the rest of us club soda...home by 8). I really did not miss the wine because of the company we were with but....

when we got home my kids had friends sleep over and they wanted to swim...one of my very favorite wine related things to do is sit around the pool with DH at night, play games and yes drink my wine. Now..I just can't do it. First, I am so damn tired from fighting this fight that I truly wanted to go to bed, second it would have just been too hard w/o wine. It makes me so sad that I can't do something I so truly looked forward to all winter.

Guess what I wonder is..as I go about doing things wineless for the first time will it get easier? I am so scared that it won't and it will lead to a relapse
Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it didn't get easier none of us would be here, hunt

You're stacking up 13 days against years of drinking - cut yourself some slack and give yourself the chance to deal with these situations sober and learn some new skills.

Believe it or not I reckon one day you'll sit around the pool with your DH at night, play games and...not drink wine...and actually be happy about that

D
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

D's right....as usual.

You'll be looking forward to things sober.

I appreciate having a clear mind and knowing that in the middle of any activity I won't pass out from being drunk.

It's especially hard in the beginning--sticking with sobriety is the key to making it through.

After a while the thought of being able to do something sober isn't a mountain to climb.

I remember the very first time I had the thought in my mind to quit for good...it scared me.

Now that I have a bit of sober time there's nothing scary about not drinking.

13 days is fantastic, huntwc. A lot of people don't make it that far. Feel good about the hard work you are doing...and yes, I do think staying sober, especially in the beginning, is hard work.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it does get easier but it takes time. A good analogy is walking five miles into the woods. You can't walk out in just a few steps. Keep on keepin' on. It does get better.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It truly will get easier....as long as you dom't drink
and re start the disease of alcoholism.

Why not make a list for yourself with all the reasons
being a non drinker is important for you?
And another with what destructive things that happens
when you drink.

I found that useful and used mine to begin a daily journal.
It helped me focus and it made me feel good about my progress.

All my best to you and your family....
:
Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You're doing well, hunt! Congrats on your sober time!!

I found that there were things I could do sober right away, and other things that just felt like huge triggers. I was sad about it, too, because I thought I'd never be able to do them again. Some of those things may have been more about the drinking than the actual activity itself, but others (like making jewelry) are things I enjoy but always did in combination with alcohol.

I'm only a couple months sober, but already some of those activities are starting to get easier to do sober, and it's only been very recently that some of my motivation is coming back. For a while, I didn't want to do anything at all. So please be really patient with yourself. It's a process. Get a journal and start writing things down, so you can look back and see the progress.......

Also, thanks for the post. It helps all of us. I know that, for me, I can get through some discomfort if I'm sure it get me somewhere. There's nothing scarier than being new in sobriety and thinking "Will I feel this way forever?"
Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets worse before it gets better but each time you face a new event without booze it's like that 1st day of school, once it's done you know it's not as bad as you expected and you go back the next time with more confidence. I just went to Greece for a week and came back actually feeling like i'd had a holiday rather than feeling like I needed rehab like when i used to go away. I had an amazing trip, got so much more done, relaxed properly and more to the point it was far less terrifying than i expected it to be. It will get better, this was after 4 months of sobriety, day 13 is rocky times, I promise it does get easier Hunt.