Notices

Please Help

Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pib

Please Help

I am still trying to find my way around this site. When I signed up I had a friend here to help me. Then I received a message that I would get an email and must connect from there. The email came 34 hours later. My friend is gone and I don't know how to do anything on here. I'm so frustrated. Being a senior and just learning the computer a bit at a time does not help because everyone seems to agree with a technician who told me I was stupid because I learned all this stuff when I was in grade 2. That was 62 years ago and no one knew about computers to teach me.

Please if anyone has simple instructions and is willing to teach a stupid senior help me. I still have problems and I don't believe I'm stupid just have training in a different discipline. How can you teach what hasn't been invented.
Pibhttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/images/smilies/thankyou.gif
Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Pib))) - you are NOT stupid. I saw your posted reply on another thread and then you apologized, but you did it RIGHT!!!! Nothing to apologize for.

FWIW (for what it's worth), I had never been on a forum when I came here, and it took a while for me to catch on.

You can click (left button) with your mouse on any forum, and it will bring up all the "threads" in that forum. You just click on any one of the threads you want to read. You can also click on "new posts" on the blue bar across the top and it will bring up only recently posted threads.

To reply, you do exactly what you did in the thread you apologized for. You really ARE doing just fine

I'll be here for a little while, so any particular questions, just click on, I think it says "post reply" and type away.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

edited to add: It says "quick reply" and has a window at the bottom of the thread
Old 07-17-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

You're doing great and I hadn't been on a forum either before I came here.

The following instructions might help you:

How do I post?
To create a new post:
Select the Forum you wish to post on.
Click on the Forum title.
As your looking at the threads listings, there's a button on the top left that says “New Thread”
Click that, and a message window opens.
Enter a title for your post, then enter your message in the large blank box.
Underneath that box and to the left is a button that says “Submit New Thread”.
Click Submit New Thread and your post will be listed.

If you want to reply in and existing thread;
Select the thread you want to reply to.
In the top or bottom left corner there is a button that says “Post Reply”
Click the Post Reply button
Enter your reply just as if you are posting a new thread, (it is not necessary to enter a title)
Then click Submit Reply, (bottom left button again) and your reply will be added to the thread.

You can also use the quick reply window on the bottom of each thread if you are only going to enter text or quotes.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to welcome you Pib. I think Impurrfect and Anna may have answered your questions, but I just wanted to extend a welcome. Don't feel stupid over computers. They take practice just as with anything else. Glad you joined.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too was a senior citizen when I began useing a computer.
I'm pleased you are learning a new thing.....

Welcome!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For moving around in SR, and reading different things, and looking at this and that,

I find it helpful to click on :

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

That is to the left of my welcome information: welcome, spryte. You last visited on such and such a date.

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information : is like the big Table of Contents for when I get lost in the middle.

Also, I find the back button on my Internet Explorer helpful. It is an arrow. I can move back and forth using that button.

And for starting threads and posting - I found that sometimes I would type my stuff in and then it wouldn't post - it would ask me to sign in again (I suppose because I took too long). I copy my post before I actually post it, so if it doesn't go through, I can then paste it when I sign in again. i think there must be a better solution to this, so take that with a grain of salt.

My point is, if it asks you to sign in again when you go to post something, that's normal.

Welcome to Sober Recovery
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site! You are NOT stupid, just not learned in the ways of computers. I'm a senior too and my kids know far more about computers than I do. Keep reading and posting and you'll soon get used to it.

How can we help you, besides posting instructions? Is there something specific you need help with in your life? You can tell us, we're here to support you. :ghug3

to SR!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Pib! Learning things on the computer can be totally frustrating at first, because we're usually doing it by trial and error. Years ago when I got our first desktop computer, I was afraid to touch any keys, for fear I'd blow something up!

If you know the basics (can get on the internet and to your email), you'll be fine. Just jump in and keep working with it. Glad you're here!!