I'd like a few less challenges, thank you very much!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'd like a few less challenges, thank you very much!

I believe that my life is what I make it, and therefore I don't have problems, hurdles, or roadblocks.

I have challenges.

Please bear in mind I am sitting here for the first full day in 9 days now where I didn't have 2 extra dogs 24/7 as Amber and her ABF finally got back from their week long trip to NY yesterday and picked the 'girls' up last night.

I love those dogs like my own, but honestly, they were getting on the one remaining nerve I had left yesterday. Add to that my specialty coding class where I have been slogging through coding pregnancy/childbirth/puerperium, abortion/ectopic pregnancy, congenital anomalies, and perinatal conditions.

Add to that my Health Records Applications IV class where we are taking actual patient charts and having to find the principal diagnosis, any secondary diagnoses, and any procedures to boot.

Oh, and yes, my philosophy class which I have been having the time of my life in-that would be another challenge.

Then toss in the unexpected and throw-together-quickly all the hoopla that went with Dad's surgery for the abdominal aortic aneurysm, and I fell behind in all 3 classes.

Both of my instructors (the same instructor teaches both health-related classes) have been terrific in allotting me grace periods for assignments.

Today I wrote the philosophy teacher to ask for an incomplete in order for me to extend that class a couple of weeks past final date, and I can get completely get caught up with the other 2 by Saturday. I haven't heard back yet, but I can't see her saying no as she's been very understanding.

Seriously, it's been something every semester, a challenge if you will.

I was supposed to originally start college with summer classes to ease me into the swing of things, and my computer/DSL modem got fried by a lightning strike a month before classes started.

First semester I ended up having hernia surgery that was supposed to be minor and laparoscopic, and ended up waking up with 6" worth of staples in my abdomen. Surgery was one week before school started.

Second semester I ended up hospitalized for 3 days with some kind of bacterial infection in my gut that initially landed me in ER.

Last semester I had more health issues crop up, including medication changes/discontinuances.

Now that I look over all of this, I can claim consistency in having a challenge or two at any given moment!

I actually hopped over to Dakota State University's site today because they do offer the bachelor's degree online for health information administration.

I sat there looking for a couple of minutes, decided I was certifiably insane, and threw that idea out the window for now.

I need about 2 weeks of no challenges. Is that too much to ask for?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I sat there looking for a couple of minutes, decided I was certifiably insane, and threw that idea out the window for now.
The best part was for now

Consistency is huge and I think you're pacing yourself. I pace my inconsistencies
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow--that makes my head spin just reading it. I have been there, Freedom, and you'll get through it. At the end of the day, you'll be one day closer to getting through it. And tomorrow at the end of the day, you'll be another day closer. And so on...

Your instructors sound like reasonable, understanding people. That's a huge bonus.

Think of it like childbirth--agony while you're going through it, but all worth it in the end. :ghug3 Hang in there!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Freedom. Are you nearing the home stretch yet?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Hang in there, Freedom. Are you nearing the home stretch yet?
I'm close! This fall will be my Practicum II, Clinicals, Death & Dying (another humanities class), and English Comp II. Unless I'm missing another class, that's it and I am done! (that's me dancing in the back of the truck on my avatar after I take my last final)
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mercy! I just get back on here and need a rest after reading this. You dared to even peek at that Batchelor degree course, (shakes her head in disbelief) OH Von.

You are Wonder Von.

God bless

Old 07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - sweetie, you are doing awesome, but I DO hope you get a break.

Believe it or not, I actually envy you. I can't even find the time to GET to my schoolwork. Mine, fortunately, gives me a year to finish ONE semester, but I certainly had no intention of it taking this long

As always....you inspire me!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well ... I just discovered I'm MUCH more selfish than I ever would have believed ...
My first thought, halfway through your list of accidents & injuries & aliments was "Oh my God DeVon will you PLEASE start taking better care of yourself ... I'm just working up the nerve to start posting about all my cr@p & I want you there to respond."
So ... rewind ... what I meant to say is ... DeVon, you're doing an awesome job of investing in your future & nothing worthwhile comes easy. Hang in there honey ... it will all be over sooner than you think & you'll have achieved some wonderful goals. Just remember to schedule some breaks along the way OK? You need to arrive at the end of it with your sanity intact

Last edited by Helenlee; 07-09-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Big old bear hug, Freedom (DeVon) - since it's online, hopefully it won't hurt. You are amazing, awesome and completely inspiring!

Remember to take an occassional break - a really good cup of coffee or tea, relax and recharge, if only for the space of one cup, before wading back into the classwork. Hang in there!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You folks are the best!

I am so frigging excited about coding. It's just fascinating, and meticulous work, but I excel in that.

Back when I was a programmer/analyst for an aviation data firm, I modified programs to retrieve specific data for one-time customers. You had to be meticulous and detail-oriented when you're responsible for 5 grand worth of data to a client.

I'm working on coding neoplastic diseases now.

Bronchial adenoma 212.3
Morphology code (this would be used in a cancer registry) M8141/1

Burkitt's lymphoma of intrapelvic lymph nodes 200.25
M9750/3

I know that probably doesn't mean much to the rest of you, but it's danged interesting and challenging for me.

After years of working jobs that required more muscle power than brains, this is a breath of fresh air.

I hit the jackpot when I enrolled in this degree program.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think you are amazing! I don't know how you do it all - it's so heroic!

I am a college instructor and have taught English comp and other humanities classes. Let me know if you need some feedback on a paper. I currently have lots of time and would be happy to help. :ghug3