Notices

Day 1

Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Thought I could do this on my own and in a way I am but I just needed to find somewhere like this (SR), I just need to put it down in writing, I don't know why.

Reading some of the posts here shocked me, well did it really? I read about people sneaking drinks around the house, quick gulps and then a return to the kitchen or couch. Seemed I was reading about people with big issues and what a waste of life until I opened up and realised those people are me to a letter.

I don't know what to write right now but I'm going to try and stop my self destruction right now and I just felt I needed to tell someone.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Persevere, Never give up!

Welcome to our family, so nice you joined, you don't need to do anything, just be yourself, keep reading and posting and you'll get lots of support!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I had to quit drinking on my own but I couldn't. It helps a great deal to admit to yourself and others that you need a little bit of help.

Oh yeah, I was a pro at sneaking drinks. I think a lot of us became one.

View, post when you feel like it. You'll feel better for it.

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ViewAskew! (Like that name!) Glad you're joining us on this journey - it's really worth it. Take it one day at a time and just keep posting and reading as much as you need to. It really helped me and I'm sure it will help you, too.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ViewAskew
I remember coming here and being shocked at how much of myself was reflected here too.

You're in the right place

D
Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. Realising and admitting you have a problem is a big step forward in the right direction. Keep reading and posting, you'll get loads of support and empathy here.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I am so glad you came here and all I want to do is give you a hug (I need one too) so here goes:
:ghug3
Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ViewAskew,

I was someone who snuck drinks and then returned to the sofa to watch TV. I was shocked at what alcohol did to me.

I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Viewaskew,

Yeah, I was one to sneaked drink from my garage at 4 in the morning before my wife got up, I'm 15 months sober and it all started with putting down the drink and getting honest and reaching out for help. So glad your here at SR, lots of support, stick around and keep reading and posting.

Road
Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome ViewAskew. Great name BTW.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Xo
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you all. I’m one of those, at the moment, who thinks “is this really an addiction or is it something I just like doing A LOT”
Think the crunch came when I got in large amount of beer for a small BBQ last Saturday and was left (as I subconsciously always knew I would) with a full wine fridge of beer. As was off all this week on holiday and for once, all alone with nothing to do but chill out in the sunshine, I wanted to make the day better so started on the stash at about 9am just after I took my daughter to school. Wrecked the day, felt so bad the next day I started again to make myself feel better, which I have to admit it did but once again, the day was spent wasted and trying to hide it when everyone came home then sweating all night wondering if my heart / liver / kidneys were finally going to give up and the thought of the next day coming and feeling like the floor of a tube train.

Anyway, enough self pity. Day 2 today, feel great but it hasn’t kicked in yet that I miss it but that’s just because of the newness of the situation and my resolve is boosted by my anger with my self. Nothing like a bit of rage to get you somewhere difficult eh but I know that’ll fade slowly and the thoughts will start creeping back in, thoughts of knowing that just a little will “take the edge of” and make something lacklustre more of a party. I guess I’ve come here in preparation for that time fast approaching.

Thanks again everyone and I wish all who are going or have gone through this my best wishes and support.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi ViewAskew - I can really relate to your account of the BBQ and having to drink the next day to feel a bit more normal. And the sweating..... ugh....
your post put me right back there, which is a good thing because I need to remember I don't want to be there again, ever.

I find that coming to SR every day really helps me stay strong, too. I know that we all need some kind of program or support to deal with this thing.

Glad you're feeling pretty good at Day 2 - that's great!