Notices

Dreams

Old 06-28-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I have always been a vivid dreamer - when I first stopped drinking 2 years ago, my dreams consisted of a social situation and being in the same room with alcoholic beverages. I always felt really scared that they were there - almost averse to their presence. I would wake up relieved that I hadn't drank anything.

Now my dreams are of me drinking alcohol. I think (in my dream), that I know I shouldn't do it, but I do anyway thinking that it will be ok. I will drink several drinks and be ok with it, like no big deal.

I don't know how to change my dreams - does this mean that my resolve is weakening? I think that if I ever relapsed that it would be so much harder to stop.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sugar. I had and still once in awhile will have a drinking dream. I wake up usually pretty relieved it was a dream and not realty. I think those type of dreams are pretty common with folks.

Do you feel as though your resolve is weakening? What are your recovery tools? Are you in AA? If not, use SR and lean heavily on it. Just keep posting and reading and jump into chat if you need to. I think you will know if your mind is turning backward or forward.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sugarfiend

Welcome to SR.

Drinking dreams are fairly common and I think dreams can sometimes be just dreams, however vivid - in my case, they didn't mean my resolve was weakening or anything ...so long as you don't start to consciously believe it's 'ok'

D
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had 2 very weird dreams last night.

1st one I was with all my old friends from high school "I have not seen any of these people since I was 18 years old" and they were offering me all kinds of drugs and booze. I kept telling them no I was not interested and turned over a new life. They all started yelling at me calling me the most horrible names and physically shoving me around. I kept saying to them "no guys for real I am serious" but the verbal attacks on how much of a loser I was would not stop.

Then I woke up.

2nd dream, again I was back in high school and it was final exams and I was to write this exam for a class I had no idea about. I remember thinking WTF am I going to do and the feeling that EVERYTHING depended on me passing this unknown exam. So for some reason I am to wait until everyone else finishes the exam and the teacher brings me in to the exam room and hands me the exam. He sits beside me in another desk and is marking exams and has the master exam with all the answers beside him. About 10 minutes goes by and I am just flipping through the exam in total fear of not knowing a single question, then he gets up and walks out of the room leaving the master exam right on the table beside me with all the answers. I am looking at this exam beside me knowing that the only way in hell I am going to pass this exam is to cheat.

Then I wake up before I get the chance to look at it.

Damn strange dreams!