Notices

Day 2

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HFA

Day 2

Made it thru day 2. Cravings were definitely there. Horrible day at work. Email server upgrade going bad, and then a power failure. Got no idea how long the generator will hold. Could be walking into a huge disaster tomorrow. Beer woulda helped ease the anxiety tonite. But lets call it day 2.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's better ways to ease anxiety HFA.

I used to scoff at deep breathing but exercises like this have helped me a lot, not only with anxiety but with some physical stuff too. Assuming you're not suffering from anything that exercises like this could exacerbate, it might be something to try for a week or two:

Breathing Exercises

D
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there HFA. I 100% agree with Dee on this. I developed anxiety with the years of heavy drinking and frequent binges. When I got off the sauce the massive panic attacks/anxiety stopped but I would lie if I didn't say that mild anxiety when I get stressed still lingers.

I now totally rely on breathing exercises and it works for me. I just focus on something other then the anxiety and just breath deep. Sometimes I get uber antsy though (like yesterday waiting for over an hour for a dr. appt) but it passes.

Key for me is to not feed into the anxiety. Meaning, before I would get a bit anxious and my mind would start racing and all I could do was think about it getting worse and the panic attack that I was sure was going to follow. Now I don't feed it. I just ignore it and breath deep and in about 10 minutes it passes.

I am like the queen of panic attacks. I know exactly how they feel and how they can smother you and my friend......drinking (which I used in recent years to calm me down) just made them worse. Been to too many ERs with them certain I was dying.

Hang in there and know that it will get better. Keep posting!!