question!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question!

I have thought that in my road to recovery, I need to meet new, decent people. So my question is: WHere do you meet new, decent people? The thought of hanging out in a bar sickens me. I do go to church. Go to the gym alot. I just want to be around positive people!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've met some really nice people in my AlAnon group.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've taken up running over the past year. Runners are really cool people, positive, but not too goody-goody, funny, witty, and very encouraging souls. Most follow very healthy lifestyles. They LOVE it when other people start to run.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep doing things you enjoy! Join groups, take classes, whatever you are interested in, and you will meet people who enjoy the same things you do!

L
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

I've met a lot of good cyclists out on the road...if you share a common interest / passion, you've got the start of a friendship.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been advised to join clubs, go to the gym, meet people through friends, etc. Stay away from the bar scene or you will wind up with the same stuff you just got out of.

I am so limited with time because I have a toddler full time, but I am getting out more.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rock Climbing gym! That is where I've met the most decent, non-troubled, healthy people!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alanon, at the dog park, meeting people through other healthy friends, my spiritual community. I've gotten better at asking people for their e-mail address if I've just met them and am interested in getting to know them better because they have a positive "vibe".

What a great question to be asking yourself!
posie
Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tango class.... ok I'm biased.

Seriously though. Any kind of activity that you like doing (painting, drawing, stained glass, physical activities, etc) will get you to meet healthy, normal people.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Recovery Forums!

only the most finest refined people without issues hang out in those places.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not a socially-phobic or awkward person, for the most part. Even so, actually meeting and connecting with people is a challenge for me if I'm just "out there" hoping to find future friends.

I have met people easily, and made friendships, when I've become involved in something. That common bond is what is necessary, I believe. And intentionality is also very helpful. Meaning, a group that meets for primarily social purposes, i.e. book club, "after the alanon meeting" meeting, or "Events & Adventures" - just for socializing and meeting people, NOT dating. Going on a church retreat for women, or just to a church function where there's an objective (filling bags for the shelter, doing yardwork)
has been a great way to connect with other, likely healthier people.

Good luck, and persevere.....
Christine
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, we have no local Alanon group, but I have my AA home group. This coming Saturday is our annual campfire meeting at a nice little lake 10 miles west of town. We get good attendance from AA and Alanon both from all over the area. Entire families come, many bring their fishing poles.

Our 'resident' AA chef brings his nice grill and does up the burgers. Everyone else brings a covered dish. It's a really nice social event, and we have a speaker meeting after we eat.

Most of my friends are in recovery in some form or another, and I couldn't ask for a better group of friends.