Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

7 3/4 months sober getting the burning desire but dont want to give in!!!

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hi folks. I know exactly why I'm in the predicament I'm in. I stopped going to meetings. MOre or less on a dry drunk now. I know that drinking isn't the problem, its the solution to me not wanting or being willing to deal with life on lifes terms. I'm so glad I havent taken that first drink yet, and I AM going to a meeting tomorrow after I workout. I want to start raising my hand and being apart of the group. Showing up to meetings is the 2nd hardest thing for me to do, raising my hand and saying stuff is the first hardest. People please, what shoulder I say? How do I get myself into the middle of AA not hanging on the fringes?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gold,

I hung around the fringes hoping that simply being there would provide me with what I needed. In reality, I just didn't want to do the necessary work. That was 6 years ago and I'm now back with 'the gift of desperation', a sponsor and have started to apply the steps to my life.

I am so glad you're getting to a meeting tomorrow. Maybe you could just take a deep breath and share exactly what you have written here, regardless of nerves. It won't be as bad as another x years of drinking and might well yield some solutions.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Gold,
Good for you to get back to the meetings! I was an 8 month dry drunk, if I had gone to a meeting at 7 3/4 months I would have saved myself years of misery. Print a copy of your post, raise your hand and read the parts you want to say to the AA group. At almost 8 months sober you got a good thing going, just get to the meeting! Please post again and tell us how it went. Thanks and good luck!!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

thanks you guys! it really is helpful to hear your words of encouragement because i know u guys know exactly how the **** im feeling lol!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LLG

no advice on the AA front, although what you posted sounds pretty good to me for what to say

I'm glad you're so self aware about this

D
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The people that get involved in AA turn up before the meeting and stick around afterwards...they also ask for help, if you can why dont you share what you have shared here if you are feeling a bit awkward about that grab someone after the meeting and ask them for a quick talk...make sure it isnt someone else who is dry though...

I was so scared of AA, dont know why in hindsight guess after so many years of surviving and not trusting others it wasnt easy to reach out...dunno?! Regardless you are in a good position to be able to get in there get on with some work and get recovered...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If it helps, just raise your hand and tell the group you just want to express your thanks for being there and for their shares. That's all you have to say. Next meeting, maybe it's a little easier to share your personal thoughts. GREAT job for staying sober this long -- you can do it!

GG
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good questions...

I am 21 months sober today. I can be attending meetings regularly and still go on a "dry drunk"... I consider a dry drunk a state of mind where I take back all my fears, resentments and self-will, it is where I forget to trust my higher power.

Raise your hand at the next meeting at the beginning, when they ask if somebody is having a problem that they need help with.... Tell them you are almost 8 months sober, but that you are still suffering... Ask for help to get some temporary sponsorship....

Go to meetings early... Stay late... Sit up front... And if you want to get off the fringes and into the middle of AA... help make the coffee, or help clean up and ask whoever is helping you how they work they program, ask them about problems you have experienced working the steps and how they solved them...

It's a beautiful program. Simple but not easy. We don't do it alone.

Mark
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
part time member

I find it interesting that you refer to yourself as 7 3/4 months sober. My husband used to say that he was 5 10 3/4. When he said that he meant that he was really, really close to 5 11 but not quite. He really wanted to be 5 11. I think that you really want to me 8 months. Do what you can to make it. Remember...one day at a time...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
How do I get myself into the middle of AA not hanging on the fringes?
Read page 17 and become part of the fellowship of the spirit by engaging in the common solution. You can not fail to be all the way in if you give yourself up to that solution.