Notices

Happy Birthday to.......AA!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Happy Birthday to.......AA!

75 Years!!

Last edited by CarolD; 06-10-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday AA !! thanks for saving my life.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A little AA trivia.

IS Jun 10 ,1935 the day :

1) Bill sat down with Ebby in his kitchen

2) Bill had his white light experience at Towns

3) Bill first met Bob met a the Seiberling gatehouse

4) Bob came back from AC, did his surgery and returned after making his amends.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

:day1 to AA!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
A little AA trivia.

The answer is 4. The events you listed are in chronological order, but Ebby relapsed or else he would've probably been AA's co-founder. Bill had been sober for several months, unsuccessfully trying yo work with other alcoholics, when he was sent to Akron. June 10th 1935 was the day of Dr. Bob's last drink.

If you want a great read on AA history I strongly suggest "Dr Bob and the Good Oldtimers". It taught me the answer to this question and lots of other stuff.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NEW YORK 10 Jun 2010 Alcoholics Anonymous movement turns 75

Recovering alcoholic William Griffith Wilson started Alcoholics Anonymous 75 years ago after helping a friend take his last drink. Wilson introduced himself at the first AA meeting with: "My name is Bill W., and I'm an alcoholic." Seventy-five years on, AA members still identify themselves only by first name and initial. The date invites a look at AA's history and methods and a roll call of celebrity members. AA, with 2 million members in 122 countries, describes itself as the world's largest self-help organization.

Its 12-step program for addictions of all kinds is particularly familiar to anyone who reads celebrity gossip. AA members officially remain anonymous, but paparazzi can keep an eye on court dockets to find a rich supply of celebrity addict material.

AA meetings -- held in church basements, school rooms, hospitals room, jails and similar venues -- are free everywhere. They usually begins with a recovering alcoholic telling a "drunkalog," an account of the dire straits that landed him or her at the meeting. Founder Wilson was a stockbroker until alcoholism claimed him. The event, at which nobody has to speak, is arranged by volunteers. AA has relied on the simplicity of its setup and unending supply of alcoholics and other addicts to keep the movement healthy.

Unlike countless other temperance movements, 75 years after its foundation, AA is still around. It has become widely accepted, and has been widely integrated into hospital rehabilitation therapy and court sentencing. Writing about his own alcoholism and the organization in Aug 2009, film critic Roger Ebert notes that: AA "eschews the accumulation of money or power, prohibits individual leadership and, as its sixth tradition enjoins, never 'endorses, finances, or lends the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise.' AA has no treasury, ... no lobbyists in Washington.

Nonetheless, it has attracted occasional charges that it is a cult or religion. But Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., headquartered in New York City, describes itself as a "voluntary fellowship of alcoholic persons who seek to get sober and remain sober through self-help and the help of other recovered alcoholics." Although general conventions are held periodically, all AA groups are essentially local and autonomous. Much of the program has a social and spiritual, but nonsectarian, according to the organization.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
A little AA trivia.

Ok, don't make me guess. But if I was guessing it would be (3)?
That's what I get for guessing
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Someone said last night at a meal after the meeting,cool huh!

Happy Bday AA...

Carol was just thinking, 75 years is a relatively short period of time in history and you have been there for a significant amount of that time....that must be pretty amazing!