Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step Seven

When ready, we say something like this: ”My Creator,
I am now willing that you should have all of me,
good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me
every single defect of character which stands in the
way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant
me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding.
Amen.“ We have then completed Step Seven.

All of me? Good and bad? Step seven starts with the word humbly. I think most of us can agree that steps 4 and 5 were humbling experiences. So to balk at this step is to run the risk of missing the key element to its success...

Of course, living with my defects after my eyes have been opened in the 5th step is a tall order indeed! But the goal here is to grow along spiritual lines, but back to the thing that always jumps out at me-

All of me? Good and bad?

So God is ok with me as I am? This is not a license to wallow in my defects of course. A huge part of this step is simply the realization that my defects can be arrested with spiritual help. In step 7 I needed to look outside the rooms for some guidance with that help.Like so many other issues, Bill provides the example for this rationale:

Remember the story about Bill hearing the voice in his head (If the laborer is worthy of hire?) Had he relied on his intuition alone we may have had a tradition of payment for helping alcoholics.

So I still find it of value to seek spiritual guidance. Often a sponsor will prove invaluable for me. I have utilized ordained men of the cloth as well.

So- if I were to break down the seventh step into one word I would have to say-

HELP!

The problem I come across is identifying the answer
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

cool post Steve.

Six and Seven are like the "sleeper steps" to me....they look sooo simple on the surface but there's a whoooooooooooole lot to 'em once you really try to sit with them for a while. 6 & 7 have really been my primary focus for the past, oh I dunno, year or so. Willingness to REALLY change and willingness to REALLY turn everything over to God is a toughie for me. About the best I can do is "one thing at a time" sometimes.

Thank God Bill wrote "Progress, not perfection"
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
[ back to the thing that always jumps out at me-

All of me? Good and bad?

......if I only asked God to remove my character defects, then I would be back to directing the show.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

[B][I]

HELP!

DETACHMENT!

Even though the prayer begins with the word "Humbly", I see humility as being the foundation principle of every step (12&12 page 70).

Step 5 is where we have laid the foundation and step 7 is where we begin to build an edifice. In order to build a sanctified edifice we need to be free of the bondage of self (step 3) and any extraneous luggage (character defects).

IMO step 7 is really a continuation of step 3 (3 has no Amen), and an intermediate detachment step. Step11 has the word ONLY in it to finalize the detachment process.

If you think the word "detachment" has no place in AA you need only look at how many times it's synonym is used - surrender.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

DETACHMENT!
I've been reading "The Soul of Sponsorship: The friendship of Fr. Ed Dowling, S.J., and Bill Wilson in Letters," and Fr. Dowling speaks quite a bit about detachment. Wilson relied on Fr. Dowling's insight as he wrote the 12 x 12, and he especially asked for it while writing steps 6 & 7.

In one of his letters to Bill, he writes:

Most spiritual development seems to be not through achievement but through detachment:
--Detachment from the sensual gratification of alcohol brings the spiritual gifts of clear thinking and peace of mind.
--Detachment from the spiritual goal of authorship and proprietorship brings the spiritual gift of fellowship with thousands who could be authors and proprietors.
--Detachment from the sophisticated satisfaction of seeing one's own way can bring the peace of a childlike dependence on a "father who can't let us down."
Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not on step 7 yet, but it is definately on my mind as I am sober and my "defects" become clear....because my powerlessness over those defects is also clear to me

I have moral and philisophical convictions galore but am unable to live up to them.

I believe this step has some similarity to step one

As far as good and bad..well persistance and stubborness come from the same root charactor trait I think...it is in how that trait is applied that is the issue....and I have a tendancy to lie to myself and precieve things incorrectly which leads to chaos.

I would rather trust my HP to determine what needs to be removed and what serves a purpose.

And as I always say...thank god Bill W was grandious and god didn't remove all of it....
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The problem I have is recognizing and taking advantage of the opportunities.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wait a second. That's IT? One paragraph?

Oh no, it has to be more complicated than that.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've heard an interesting take on 6 and 7 that hinges on the belief that, at only 3 years sober when the AA book was written, Bill and the first 100 may not have fully understood 6 & 7 themselves. When you read the 12 & 12, however, they start off with "This is the step that separates the men from the boys." (in step 6)

It was only upon more reflection, meditation, prayer, and practicing of the steps they came to understand that all of the steps can be learned, understood, and practiced at much deeper levels than initially written about.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

^^^^^^^ I don't mean to sound as if I'm advocating taking what is supposed to be a simple program and making it complex (but oh how I seem to love to do that......lol). I'm just stating that profound changes don't always occur easily - or as easily as the obsession to drink was "cured" by our respective higher powers.

Just because we turn our character defects and exact natures over to a God of our understanding and ask Him to remove them from us doesn't mean He'll necessarily remove all of them (as we all know all to well). Some of those defects, well, we're stuck with them for the time being. We have to be content with exercising self restraint and self control over them for now. Understanding which ones are still hanging around (steps 4 and 5) because we haven't gotten willing enough to let go of them yet (step 6) or because God just hasn't removed "that one" from us yet, provides us the opportunity to carry our end of the bargain with God.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day trader-
As we grow along spiritual lines so should our understanding of the steps. There is a book called Not God by Ernest Kurtz that talks alot about Bill's spiritual growth. Alot of folks find it hard to believe that Bill states that it wasn't until he was 5 years sober that he felt that he finally took AA's 5th step.

That does not invalidate what he did earlier. I look at the steps in three different phases-

The clean up
The seeker
The builder
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Maybe I shoulda kept my mouth shut.... heh.

I didn't mean to imply that it in any way invalidated anything in the BB. I was implying that the BB is our basic text. Further understanding and what I could argue "complete" understanding of the steps and how we can apply the principles to our lives won't necessarily be found in any one-liner, one paragraph, one page or even a chapter in any one book.

I've had that book recommended to me before Steve. I guess your recommendation is a sign for me to go get the darn thing. I keep making excuses to not buy any new ones because I've got a couple I'm dragging my heels through right now and hate to add another into the mix......but I'll certainly check it out.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Just because we turn our character defects and exact natures over to a God of our understanding and ask Him to remove them from us doesn't mean He'll necessarily remove all of them (as we all know all to well). Some of those defects, well, we're stuck with them for the time being.

God will always have me be like Him if I turn my life and will over to Him because I can only serve Him if I am like Him.

If I am stuck with a character defect, it is not because he won't remove it, it is because I am not willing to turn all of me over to Him.

Whenever I have inventoried because my character defects have emerged, it is always my Ego which has come into play and caused chaos and discontenment, as it always does! And if it is my Ego (self-will) then it means I have Edged God Out or to put it in Step 3 terms, not turned my life and will over to God.

I have never inventoried and found that the reason for the defect is because God never removed it.

I can always be like God (without character defects) if I surrender my will. As it says about the Promises on p84 "They will always materialize if we work for them"
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

It was only upon more reflection, meditation, prayer, and practicing of the steps they came to understand that all of the steps can be learned, understood, and practiced at much deeper levels than initially written about.

The more that I work them, the more that I learn, the more I grow the more I realise that I actually know very little and there is much more to learn.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Often times it is our defects that serve God's purpose as much as ( if not more so) than our assets. People relate to us in AA not because of how wonderful we are, but because of how defective we are. They watch us work through a particular defect and are inspired and say " maybe I can get over this too". When we tell our stories, it is our struggles that inspire others. When we share of our troubles others connect with us.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since i don't believe in an interventionist god, I have a little different POV on this step. first of all, I do believe I'm part of a universal god (or mind, or love) and, like a hologram...it is in me and I am in it. It has shared (as love does) the power of mindfulness, of choice with me, but there is no judgement: no sin, only error. Error can be corrected. Sin is eternal.

Anyway....I believe the so-called "character defects" or "shortcomings," are related to my thoughts and behaviors: thus, I can with practice change them. They are not "removed." But the better I get at "practicing these principles in all my affairs," the less those character defects show up. Of course, if I cease my practice, they may be lurking in wait for me: thus....my only defense is to maintain my spiritual fitness.

I believe that focusing on the problem keeps me attached to the problem, and agree with the value of detachment. For me, since ego is all about attachment, and since ego isn't going away any time soon, that means "attaching" myself to the solution rather than the problem. What I resist, persists. I think that practicing honesty is the solution to dishonesty.

blessings
zenbear
Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Often times it is our defects that serve God's purpose as much as ( if not more so) than our assets. People relate to us in AA not because of how wonderful we are, but because of how defective we are. They watch us work through a particular defect and are inspired and say " maybe I can get over this too". When we tell our stories, it is our struggles that inspire others. When we share of our troubles others connect with us.
I think the most laughter I hear in meetings is when people share how they have been acting out their character defects - we amused by the insanity of it and can relate because we know that in all probability we would have acted in a similar way or have done, many times over.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zbear23 View Post

Error can be corrected. Sin is eternal.
Cool thread.

I used to see it that way zbear. I have come to understand sin as behavior or action which blocks you from God. If I stop the behavior/sin I'm no longer removed or blocked from God.

So in step seven I am looking to come back to God. And, as usual, especially here, it is progress not perfection.

In Him, with Him....

Mark
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Interventionist-

Nature intervenes when we polute her oceans and air and retaliates with disease and greenhouse gasses ( not opening the door to debate an outside issue, just giving an example!). She also rewards us for being good stewards of her resources. That is intervention.

People intervene when others want to do better- folks will often go out of their way to help the perosn who is really trying as opposed to the one who is half-assing it.

Someone is in a burning building screaming help and complete stranger drop what they are doing and rush to their aid. These things do happen everyday in our world.

I do not believe in a Deaity with a name myself- I do believe in a power that I can tap into that has been providing me with examples in everyday life if I only look. Step seven is my asking for help, steps 8-11 is me accepting the help that is given and step 12 is the result.

Anyway....I believe the so-called "character defects" or "shortcomings," are related to my thoughts and behaviors: thus, I can with practice change them. They are not "removed." But the better I get at "practicing these principles in all my affairs," the less those character defects show up. Of course, if I cease my practice, they may be lurking in wait for me: thus....my only defense is to maintain my spiritual fitness.
The wording is quite optional....

I agree with all of that
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound as if I'm advocating taking what is supposed to be a simple program and making it complex
No advocating needed. The program is simple and complex. Simple to read and understand but complex in the way that it went against every instinct I had when I came to AA. The steps went completely against my nature. It's been said so many times: "The AA program is simple, but not easy."