Notices

There IS hope!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile There IS hope!

For those at the beginning of their sober journey, take heart. It DOES get better. I'm coming up on six months and rarely have cravings anymore and the few I do get are easily dismissed. I'm really enjoying sobriety and am learning to live without dulling my senses and feeling sick all the time. I still have the same problems, I just deal with them a lot better and don't have the need to run to the bottle everytime something throws me for a loop.

So if you're just starting out, or starting over, be hopeful because it does get better, not necessarily easier, but better. My physical and mental health are so much improved and I no longer feel that old shame and regret and self-hatred that used to be so familiar. I take better care of myself and those I am responsible for and go to bed at night thankful.

Don't give up on yourself! I've tried and failed so many times but am finally 'getting it right'. You can too.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, Least. I feel exactly the same. It's very hard to express the way it goes for us - there are so many different phases as we heal. The beginning is quite miserable for most of us, and I'm sure many just can't see beyond that point. I didn't for years, & just kept picking up again. If only I'd had someone to understand and tell me there is hope - that we do move past the dark times. I agree with you - the same problems may still exist, but now we can come up with solutions instead of staying stuck on square one. Proud of you for all you've accomplished!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post least!! Hope indeed! That is what my recovery has given me that is so refreshing. It feels great to have hope as opposed to hopelessness. It's a dangerous place to be at where you feel that you have no hope.

I guess the thing to remember is to just make sure that you don't pick up. Have faith that recovery is worth it. Remember why you decided to get sober/clean in the first place. It is so easy to forget.

When you are struggling with debating in your head whether to pick up again and that 'it wasn't that bad' then reach out to others in recovery. Share your feelings and emotions here on SR. Make sure that you tell on yourself before you pick up again. By picking up again you are never going to be able to recover and heal... just stay in the same depressing loop.

The great thing is that for each difficult time that you overcome in recovery then you are filled with confidence, strength and clarity.

Thanks Least and congratulations on your sober time. You give others hope.

peace x
Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks, least. Needed to hear that. I reminds me that if I drink today, I know exactly what will happen. Whereas if I stay sober, there are lots of possibilities! Hence, hope.

So glad to hear it gets better, craving-wise. Thanks and stay strong in your sobriety!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agreee.... their is hope!! Hang in there everyone it is possible, I have just over a year crack free and I never thought that was possible. But it is possible!!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Thanks, Least! There really is hope. I love these threads that let 'newbies' know, that yes it does get better and better and better. So much better that you can't even believe that alcohol (or anything, for that matter) could have such a death grip on you.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent post S!!! I say that to all the people I know that are new and struggling because there is so much truth to that. There are rough times ahead......always, however the more we deal with them and get through them, the easier the ones that lay ahead become. We get stronger emotionally and spiritually, and it's just amazing!!

Newcomer, it is so, so, so true!! Hang in there, it does get better.

Thanks Least.......
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, least! Always good to hear from those further along..and so happy for you and your 6 mos.!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah Least! (my twin)! you are a wise woman indeed....(must be the constant dog company because you KNOW what dog spells backward).

you always perservere through the darkest times and still come right back to the top. it's still so new to me, but you are absolutely right, there IS hope.

sobriety has brought me less self-hatred, less depression, better looks, more hair, real sleep and thinner hips....it's a winner and i feel less tired. i'll say it again, all your problems don't magically disappear, but mine seem just a little more managable.

thanks for sharing the hope word...we all need it anytime.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post least!! and thank-you!!! yes it does get better with time!!! I'm almost 4 months and feeling better with each passing day!!!! So everyone who is new..welcome aboard!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Amen Least.. Good Positive Post Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Its been a pleasure to read your posts in the last few months.
you have become an assest to SR imo.

you posted the rough times as well.....sometimes it was difficult to find words to give you hope.......but you did it least.

soak it up my friend.......and god be with you.....
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a great post to read before I turn in tonight. From a great SR person who always gives no matter what she is feeling. Really, really love you S! Hugs - Sarah
Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for such a great post least
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really needed to read that....

thank you so much!!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i try to pile on the hope like I count the sober days...some days it's harder but there is always that miracle of waking up and feeling GOOD, not hung over and wincing when I look in the mirror.

it is easier to imagine hope as sobiety takes root. and hope will come back even if you backslide, hope makes you keep trying.