Notices

Diversions

Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Diversions

I am easily sidetracked. I don't think that it is because I avoid the necessary; it is just that I find so much to he fascinating. If focus is the way to get somewhere, then diversion is the way to go nowhere.

Step Three is present to me. I think of it daily. Yet, I invariably get down the road and find it necessary to return to the center. Maybe life isn't meant to be a linear progression.

I determined to make a list of those things that are most important. My first two entries were:

One Day at a Time
First Things First

AA wisdom can take awhile to sink in. First instance, I read "One Day at a Time" on the walls and heard it quoted for several years before I ever tried to really apply it to one day of my life. The realization was electrifying... "So this is what it means..."

I am at a point where I need to do the same with First Things First--not just say it, but do it.

"This is the how and the why of it. First of all, we had to quit playing God."
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Now

Whenever I find myself worried or even thinking about something the future or something in the past that I can do nothing about right now, that's called projection, and it's a useless, harmful exercise. This is the second most important lesson I learned in recovery.

You sound a lot like me when I was at this point. The third step is nothing; it's just a decision to do the rest of the steps. The fourth step is the very next demonstration of how I turn my will and my life over in the moment. I can't turn it over all at once, for exactly the same reason that I can't stop drinking forever.

Subconsciously, I know what’s coming, so I distract myself like a cat with catnip. The rumor is that the fourth step is hard and scary, so I’m libel to find any distraction fascinating. But I met my sponsor after a meeting, and we both got down on our knees and said the third step prayer. That was it.

Then he prepared me for the fourth step and said I should be done in two weeks. I took four.

The work doesn’t do itself. Get busy. NOW.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DonaldS View Post
I am easily sidetracked. I don't think that it is because I avoid the necessary; it is just that I find so much to he fascinating. If focus is the way to get somewhere, then diversion is the way to go nowhere.

Step Three is present to me. I think of it daily. Yet, I invariably get down the road and find it necessary to return to the center. Maybe life isn't meant to be a linear progression.

I determined to make a list of those things that are most important. My first two entries were:

One Day at a Time
First Things First

AA wisdom can take awhile to sink in. First instance, I read "One Day at a Time" on the walls and heard it quoted for several years before I ever tried to really apply it to one day of my life. The realization was electrifying... "So this is what it means..."

I am at a point where I need to do the same with First Things First--not just say it, but do it.

"This is the how and the why of it. First of all, we had to quit playing God."
Yes you are, you didn't get halfway through your post before getting sidetracked again.

Yes take it easy-but take it nonetheless.