appointment with a lawyer

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

appointment with a lawyer

Well, Thursday I go to see a lawyer. I have not started to think about what questions I want to ask yet.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
We have three teens, a house, cars.... He left about 6 weeks ago. Hasn't hardly said boo to me in all that time. I did go and file for a protective order, have not gone to see the judge yet. I need to sit and get my thoughts together for that as well.
If anyone has any tidbits, been there, done that advice, I would be thankful. H
Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Write down questions and write down the answers. Remember lots of state domestic law info can be found online. Do not use your lawyer as a counselor at $350/hr, keep it business, try not to make it personal. Remember Lawyers profit by making everything a drawn out fight with filing for this and filing that. Your Lawyer works for you as a highly paid consultant.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would try to come up with your "ideal" outcome and ask about the possibility of that and what it would cost you in terms of time and money. I would also try to come up with an "acceptable" outcome to compare time and money for that. And I'd come up with an "unacceptable" outcome and ask about the possibility of that.

I'd find out what their policy on returning calls and emails is - like, do they return calls within 24 hours?

Try to get a feel for whether you can click with the attorney. You want someone who cares about you and who you feel comfortable with. Not every attorney-client relationship will be a good fit. You could ask why they practice this type of law, experience they've had with situations involving alcoholics, experience with cases where there are teens, etc.

And ask anything that comes to mind! Don't worry that your questions are dumb. Your lawyer is there to help you navigate the legal system. He/she needs to know what holes in understanding he/she can fill for you!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I had several div. lawyers that screwed me more than my ex.
They are great at talking you into a big retainer and than drawing the case out to get all the $$$$ they can. They try to get you to talk only through lawyers. BEWARE !

See if you can get your ex to talk things through or use a mediator.
If he works, attach his wages for the child support, don't take his word that he'll pay regularly.

Do ALL you can to be close to your kids and get them talking...even as teens this will be a troubling time .

Reach out to friends and family for support, comfort and an ear.
Be patient, life will get better.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you can find a copy of this book... I found it most helpful...

Here is a limited preview

Divorcing: The Complete Guide for ... - Google Books

Full Review: Melvin M. Belli et al - Divorcing Books
Change can sometimes be painful, even if it is change for the better. Our natural desire often tells us to stay in our comfort zone leaving the difficult decision for later. Even if the known is not good for us, at least it is known and somehow knowing is half the battle. The book Divorcing by Mel Krantzler, Ph.D., Melvin M. Belli, Sr. and Christopher S. Taylor provides the reader with some of the latest information about divorce.

Famous attorney Melvin Belli and psychological counselor Mel Krantzler join together to give helpful information on how to deal with the emotional, psychological, social, economic and legal difficulties of divorce. This paperback book published in 1992 through St. Martin’s Paperbacks is a model choice if you are considering divorce.

Melvin Belli explains the frightening legal landscapes of divorce charting readers through the scary terrain. In chapter one he explains his own personal story of divorce. Belli comes from a traditional two-parent background initially believing family life was forever. However despite his deep ardent family and religious beliefs he has been divorced four times. He also admits his remorse regarding the pain his children endured when he divorced.

Mel Krantzler shares his own personal experience telling how his 1970 divorce became a creative experience allowing him to form a self-help group. Krantzler stresses the importance of forgiving himself and his former spouse.

Chapter two deals with the facts and myths associated with divorce. Krantzler provides thoughtful advice regarding the problems people face in the process of deciding to get a divorce. Indecision, of course, is a part of life with mixed feelings when it comes to divorce. This chapter dives into the reality people in distressed marriage's face. The vicious circle that indecision creates is mentally and physically exhausting. This book unravels some of the mysteries helping the reader understand the emotional turmoil, legal questions, and other problems that you will confront as you move forward in the separation process. The book also presents a good framework for evaluating your situation and deciding whether or not you are a future divorcee.

In chapters three, six, eight, ten, Attorney Melvin Belli provides clear and detailed legal advice regarding the various legalities associated with divorce. He touches upon child custody, child snatching, physical violence Palimony. Belli does an excellent job explaining the complex legal issues however it’s important that the reader understand he is not a therapist.

Despite his best advice a lawyer is not a referee, a policeman, or patron saint. Mel Krantzler, PhD fills in the gaps in chapters seven, nine, eleven, twelve, and fourteen separating the legal and therapeutic needs encountered during this process. When it comes to the children, this presents special problems. By the authors mentioning the children sensitivities regarding a divorce the reader is better able to protect them. Although Krantzler is extremely helpful, the sad reality is that the children will be affected for life.

Krantzler does an excellent job addressing issues separating or divorcing couples will have to face. Krantzler does an excellent job in chapter thirteen tackling the process of finding a new lasting relationship. For a person preoccupied with all the details that the divorce process brings i.e. the legal hassles, financial manipulation, and emotional upsets, any consideration of their physical or sexual needs is often put on the back burner. The frank and honest discussion regarding the emotional turmoil of being single again is refreshing.

This book also helps you begin to understand and deal with the emotional, cognitive, legal, custodial, and other issues that you will be confronted with when separation is on the agenda. The book also presents a good framework for evaluating your situation and deciding whether or not you are a future divorcee.

When divorce is the only way out this is the book you need to have. The collaboration of an attorney and psychologist address some of the most vital issues of divorce including deciding whether to divorce, dealing with the guilt, and sadness, legal questions are answered plus recommendations on choosing an attorney.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. I will write my quesions down and thanks for reminding my that the lawyer is not my couselor, and to keep it short.
I had thought about a mediator, but I don't think that AH is going to be amicable about this. He has been steadily ranting and raving about me while he has been at his parents house. Thanks again,H