Al Anon format vs AA format

Old 04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al Anon format vs AA format

I find Al Anon meetings a little intimidating at times. I think it's a big reason why I never try many different groups.
The round table format almost forces one to participate and interact. It's almost a social thing.
Which is great but there are times I just wish some al anon groups had the AA format where you can just walk in, sit down and listen. No reading, no socializing, just in and out.

Is it against Al Anon rules to have the AA format of meetings? Are there meetings like this out there?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes-- I'm not big on the round table format myself. Of the meetings I've attended in my area, they've been about half "speak up if you want" type, and half "go around the circle" type. Even in the round table ones, though, there's usually a few who say they just want to listen that night, and pass.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Peach, I've never been to the round table kind. I hope you find one you like, both perspectives is SO helpful to me. :-)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you always have to hold hands and do the end thing?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can just go to AA meetings!

I find the Al Anon meetings a lot more intimate, that's what I like about them. The people in these meetings often have a lot of depth.

AA tends to be more like a party.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

at my meeting, there is never pressure or an expectation for each person to talk. i hope you find a good fit.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

The Alanon meetings I've been to here are almost identical to AA meetings. Same readings pretty much in the beginning. Only difference I noticed was how much more calm the participants seemed. :-) I think they drink less coffee too.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Do you always have to hold hands and do the end thing?
Yes, but AA meetings I've been too, do this as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TooMuchSunShine View Post
Peach, I've never been to the round table kind. I hope you find one you like, both perspectives is SO helpful to me. :-)
interesting. I doubt there is one in my area like this. I'm told they are all pretty much the same
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alanonicnov2008 View Post
You can just go to AA meetings!

I find the Al Anon meetings a lot more intimate, that's what I like about them. The people in these meetings often have a lot of depth.

AA tends to be more like a party.
I do, but AA meetings are only geared to addicts. Unless there is an Al anon speaker.

It's nice to have the intimate connection, but there are some days, I just can't socialize because I'm too tired.

AA like a party? Never see that
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
at my meeting, there is never pressure or an expectation for each person to talk. i hope you find a good fit.
There is no pressure in my home group, but there are times, I just don't/can't hear everyone reading/talking/sharing. No one is forced to talk in my group, but in the round table setting, you sort of have to participate.

My home group is a great fit, just would like to find one where I can kind of walk in, sit and not even get noticed.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

what about crosstalk?

Re: sharing: in 12-step meetings I've attended I've not felt obligated to share if I didn't want to, even in roundtable format.

How about cross-talk? The no crosstalk rule is VERY important in CoDA recovery meetings (where I started my work). I'm finding there is crosstalk in AA and Al-Anon. Is this normal?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree you just need to find the right fit.

Plus, no one is there to judge, if you don't feel like sharing, don't. Or if it's truly a roundtable (I've never been to one like that), simply say "Pass".

If the circle at the end is uncomfortable for you, just leave. There is a lady who regularly attends my home meeting. She always comes in after we recite the steps & traditions and leaves before the circle.

Remember you only need to take what you want & leave the rest. I would say that it applies to the meeting format as well!!

I much prefer my Alanon meeting to my RAH's AA meetings. Mine is so much more serene and comforting. Not a week goes by that RAH doesnt come in the door & mention a fight that broke out or even the cops being called!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by evmdimples View Post
Re: sharing: in 12-step meetings I've attended I've not felt obligated to share if I didn't want to, even in roundtable format.

How about cross-talk? The no crosstalk rule is VERY important in CoDA recovery meetings (where I started my work). I'm finding there is crosstalk in AA and Al-Anon. Is this normal?
I like the cross-talk, that is the "meat and potatoes" for me.
Our group does allows cross talk and this is really where I get the most out of the group.
I can read the steps, the traditions and the books on my own. I need to hear war stories and solutions.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
My home group is a great fit, just would like to find one where I can kind of walk in, sit and not even get noticed.

dress in camo maybe?? are you comfortable at the table if called on to simply say "I'd really just like to listen today, thanks" ??

i can see why AA meetings hold appeal, and certainly anyone is welcome at an OPEN AA meeting, however we need to keep in mind the PURPOSE of AA, for the alcoholic seeking a solution.

do you any AlAnon buddies that might be willing to go try out new meetings with you? maybe try a new one a week? that could be kind of a fun adventure!!! (hey, i hear that one at the boat house on tuesdays serves STARBUCKS!).

camo does bring out my eyes ;-)

Yes, I am never shy and have said "pass" on many days. That's all good, but I think for me, it's each person going around reading then their share.
I will do both when I've not had a long day, but there are days I just want to listen to speakers.

I've been to quite a few AA meetings, and my al anon group encourages us to go to AA meetings. I've always taken away so much strength from AA meetings.

Yes, I have a few A anon buds that want to try other meetings, but we all work different hours, or long hours and timing is never good for any of us.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drgnfly30 View Post
I agree you just need to find the right fit.

Plus, no one is there to judge, if you don't feel like sharing, don't. Or if it's truly a roundtable (I've never been to one like that), simply say "Pass".

If the circle at the end is uncomfortable for you, just leave. There is a lady who regularly attends my home meeting. She always comes in after we recite the steps & traditions and leaves before the circle.

Remember you only need to take what you want & leave the rest. I would say that it applies to the meeting format as well!!

I much prefer my Alanon meeting to my RAH's AA meetings. Mine is so much more serene and comforting. Not a week goes by that RAH doesnt come in the door & mention a fight that broke out or even the cops being called!

I have the sweetest home group where no one judges. They are all my friends now actually. I feel totally comfy with them.

Fights in AA? really? wow! The AA meetings I went to were so amazing, calm, respectful and really great.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

We've got such a small group and they only meet once a week. I've needed to vent so, it's been healthy for me to spill it out and get positive reinforcement.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do have to say that I'm surpised to find out there are Al Anon meetings that are set up like AA meetings. I will have to seek these ones out.