Notices

Trying again

Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

I've quit smoking so many times off and on that I've lost count!

I didn't start smoking until I was 19 or 20 years old, but have smoked most of the past 29 years (WOW, that's a l o n g time)! I quit both times I was pregnant and probably 3-4 other times, sometimes for a year or more.

My last cigarette was on Wednesday, 04/14/10. I joined a study to quit smoking through the U of MN. Their theory is if you take both Chantix and Zyban together the chances of quitting are greater. Both study groups get Chantix, then randomly you either get Zyban or a placebo. At the end of a year program you get paid (nominal, but what the heck - free medication!) I think I'm getting the placebo - I've taken both Chantix and Zyban at different times to quit smoking & I'm not feeling the same side effects I did when I took Zyban before. Who knows???

Anyway, I hope I have success in the long run. I keep meaning to apply the 12 steps to this and to have a good chat with God about turning it over to him and asking him to take all desire away. I just haven't done it though.

Hi to all, hope it is going well for you.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

Keep going!!! you can do it!!..
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. I'm trying to quit myself. Keep it up. I can't go on Wellbutrin I think it's the same as Zyban because I have an eating disorder. My pdoc said she didn't want to put me on Chantix , because of side effects could make me anxious and stuff. Do you have any side effects?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BBD

Good for you girls. I'm joining the Quitting crowd finally and am using the patch. It works great but for some reason I'm still getting up~~having coffee with 2 cigs and then patch and dressed....this is working fine. I am hoping I can stop the coffee and cigs soon....
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm having some nausea with the Chantix and a few vivid dreams that I remember (usually don't remember my dreams,) but that's about it. And I really think I'm getting a placebo instead of Zyban because when I took it about 5 years ago it made me VERY anxious and angry.

It's been 11 days, wow, seems longer. I still want to smoke sometimes, but it's pretty fleeting. I guess the whole "being part of a study" keeps me from cheating. That and even though I think the cigarette would taste so good (nobody but a smoker would say that!) being on the medication makes it taste bad, so I remind myself of that.

Good luck pinkgurl - can you try the patch?

BBD/Bonnie, good to see you here! Only 2 a day is good.

Thanks for the encouragement FreeBird. I feel like such a newbie.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

JMF.. this is cake, like a walk in the park.....(ok, with blindfolds on.. lol).. you can do it. The first couple of weeks is horrible. I did it without ANYTHING.. and was a miserable twit for a long time.. (wait, I might still be, I better ask my kids.. lol)..

You can do this.. everyone and do whatever they put the ol mind to!.. ;-)