He is really trying.......10 days since using

Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He is really trying.......10 days since using

Im proud of my brother, he went cold turkey basically expect he did have suboxe for the first 3 days, after that nothing, he did feel crappy but not as bad as he would have days 1=3, so its been 10 days since he last used Heroin! Now he just has to get a job and he is activally looking, and he needs out of where he is living, or his sobriety wont last too long. 2 meetings a day, calls sponser daily, working out at gym and did something today he wouldnt of done if using, he was working out and found an ipod touch and actually brought it to the desk at the gym, if he was using it would of went in his pocket and got traded for drugs..........so far good job! Keep praying!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know 10 days doesn't seem long to the "average" person...but I know its an eternity to us parents! Great news...tell him to keep up the good work...
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great news, nichole!

yes, encouragement is good. i know my addict once mentioned to me that my positive comments - given every so often - was beneficial for him.

i know you and your bro are very close. but i would urge you to take a back seat in his process. he is finding other people and as he continues to expand his circle of clean and sober friends, it will be for the good. for both of you.
remember, "one drunk helping another"
Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have taken a step back the last few days, i call him once in the morning and not 5 times a day anymore, and if he wants to talk more than that he calls me. He called this morning at 8 tellling me he just left his meeting and what his plans were for the day, told him id call him tonight after my son goes to bed, told him keep up the good work and i loved him.

He has a baby coming in sept and he really wants to be a great father, and he knows he cant be using or being in the babies life wont be an option. His ex is being really difficult and coming up with all kinda of reason why she will terminate his visits when the time comes...its really insane and just hope she doesnt push him over the egde. She called me last night asking me some crazy questions, she asked me if he is pimping a girl out that he hangs around with beccause her friend saw this girl get in a car and come back an hour later and get out of the car...she is just looking for any reason she can to prevent him from seeing this child when its born although she says she wants him to see the child.

Anyway, today he is clean and its 11 days
Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am glad your brother is doing his best. I want you to remember herion is a mean drug it will wait around every cornor just to jump back on him. It is all up to him and I pray he can recover for himself. God Bless.
your friend
Maggiemac
Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sure is a very mean drug and the dealers that sell it are pretty rotten themselves!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It all sounds really good. Try to remember that early recovery is a real roller coaster ride with feelings. And a lot of times the things we addicts did during active addiction start crashing in on us ever though we are now clean--that's called "dealing with the wreckage created in active addiction during recovery." It can really make it tough, especially during the first few months. Don't be tempted to rescue when this happens, as part of his recovery is cleaning this up himself (with encouragement from his sponsor.) No lending money. No giving him "little jobs around the house" to earn a few bucks. He should be able to find a little early recovery job on his own, even if it is minimum wage, that's fine for now. Early recovery is very humbling for most of us. It needs to be. You're doing the only thing you can and should do if you remain available to listen in a loving way to encourage successes and sympathize when he vents his frustrations (but not tooooooo much. He has a network and sponsor to call if he feels like using at 3am!)

Love,
KJ