Notices

Going to give it a serious try

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to give it a serious try

I'm a little over 2 months sober so now that that's not gnawing on my mind every waking minute like it did the first couple weeks I feel it's time to really try to put down the smokes once and for all. I've smoked for the past 16 yrs and I've tried to quit MANY times, actually made it for 10 months about 2 yrs ago and went back. But now that I'm starting to push the big 4-0 age I really have been thinking a lot of giving it up lately. So no time like the present.

Lots of reasons to quit, health and the darn cost are two big ones. Smoke Newports and they are $6.40 here so I'm just trowing $45 a week down the drain and getting tired of doing that. So I have half a pack left which once those are gone by tonight then tomorrow I am going out and get the Patch (that's how I quit for 10 months before) and start doing like I do with sobriety and take it one day at a time.

Be warned though...expect me to be grumpy for the next 3-4 days LOL

Steve
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go for it, Steve!

For me, it was the evening of day 2 that was the worst. So far, anyway.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not having that morning couple smokes with my coffee today was no fun

Steve
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have a go Steve but remember your priority here! I've been saying i would quit from one month sober and i will...under different circumstances i would offer more encouragement as smoking sucks but the drinking will stick you and me in the ground way before smoking without our sobriety:-)
Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Steve)) - good luck. I smoked 'ports, too, and have gone 2 months, 3 weeks without THIS time (had 3 days short of 6 months the last time). I didn't try to quit until over 2 years clean time, though because I just wasn't ready. I also used the patches both times. Everyone is different.

I agree with yeahgr8...though some people can quit in early recovery, if it gets to be too much of a stress, remember the priority.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Completely understand what you guys are saying, and I agree. My sobriety is first & foremost of importance to me so if things get rough enough to start messing with that then I'm not going to push the envelope. Am going to try my best to quit this time though, we'll see how it goes.

Steve
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep going, Steve. I didn't make it as of today, but don't look behind at me, so to speak. I make it sound like trying to get out of a jungle or a fire. One thing I am happy about is that I didn't know I had the ability to make it to approx 5 days.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

worry about not drinking first

I quit smoking cigarettes back in Sept. My mind can still have me wanting to smoke.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see sobriety as the main thing, the most important thing, to maintain too. The fact that I caved bothers me, but I also have to realize that I'm not a super human. Maybe there is an arrogance in my early sobriety in wanting to stop smoking too. I wouldn't want anyone who is endeavoring to quit to feel like they don't have that OPTION, but I can see why it would be important to keep a healthy perspective about the sobriety being at the top. It's just a "whole 'nother" plane.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Made it 3 days and CAVED like a house of cards today

First day was not bad at all, yesterday was "okay"..today was just non stop with customers and suppliers, phone ringing and STRESS so I gave in to it, feel bad about it now but what can ya do but try again tomorrow. Eventually I'll get it.

Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ever try snus? Might get you through the worst part of the physical withdrawls
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually I have never heard of snus so not sure what it is, but I will goggle it and check it out. I planned to get a box of "patches" when I decided to quit Monday but I got cheap and didn't want to spend the $30 on a box of them. That's really amazing isn't?.....I'll spend almost $7 every day on smokes but I won't spend $30 for 2 weeks worth of patches. DUH....I be a smart'un!:crazy

Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Daywalker))) - too funny...when I quit this last time, I put it off for a few weeks because I didn't have the money for the patches. Someone said "um, but you have the money for the cigarettes? WTF?" Well, I was waiting tables, and Newports here are still only about $4/pack, so I could come up with the $4/day...NOT whatever the generic WalMart patches cost

I finally got the box of patches, though and gave up the 'ports. Now, I'm at a new job and guess what several of my coworkers smoke.....sigh. Luckily, I'm not tempted any more.

Don't beat yourself up, sobriety is #1, the stop-smoking part comes along.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Steve,

what'd you find out on the snus?

i was doing some research on it. I'm only concerned with a possibilty of raising my blood pressure!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I looked it up last night and did some reading about it. I'm not sure to be honest..It seems a lot like "dip" but they were saying how its steam dried so it makes it different from other dip/chew tobacco. I was trying to find something to see if it mentioned if it has any of the effects that dip/chew has such as addictive or mouth cancer risks or anything but I couldn't find any info about that sort of stuff on it. If it's a safe thing that would help me get away from the smokes then I'd try it, but I'd like to see what the effects are though. Don't want to just trade one bad habit for another know what I mean.

Have you tried it it or know anyone that has?

Steve
Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been using it for a while. Spares people from me being a real ******* on a bad day

grrr
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hmm you can't say ******* on here. I didn't know that lol
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

About how often do you use it in a day Chris? Have you been able to find any other info on any effects from it or does it seem to be a safe alternative far as you can tell?

Steve
Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Here's what I was reading today on it

Snus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My biggest problem about giving up smoking was being a social part of my day with guys I worked with before and after meetings etc. After I got past the hardest part of that, I still can be around smokers outside. I don't want to be in a room with them smoking.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Why not give Nicotine Anonymous a try, 12 step approach to becoming free from nicotine in all its forms. There are local and online meetings. There are many people who are in both programs at the meetings and can totally relate. My sponsor has over 29 sobriety/smobriety (as they call it for being sober from nicotine) in both programs and I met him first at a Nicotine Anonymous meeting.
Check it out if you can,

Nicotine Anonymous - A 12 Step Program offering support to those who want to stop all forms of tobacco and nicotine addiction. Formerly smokers anonymous.