nearly o.d.ed on vallium

Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nearly o.d.ed on vallium

I am in need of some venting.

AH has been in the hospital since Monday. He had been not feeling well for a few days, he was doing a lot of coughing, etc. Throughout Sunday night he was doing a lot of loud moaning and mumbling, I knew he was on something. His breathing was very labored.

Wound up that he was pretty darn near o.d.ing from vallium.

Today they are going to be releasing him and his biggest concern right now is that he missed his appointment with his pain med dr. yesterday and needs to call them to reschedule it, asap. They have detoxed him, he is clean and all he wants to do is put it all back in. I just don't get.

Yesterday I took our kids to the hospital to visit him. On the trip home my 17 year old says, 'Dad is being selfish by not quitting. But you are being selfish in your own way too, Mom. You should make dad quit, rather than just letting him do whatever he wants.' I tried to explain detachment and about letting him make his own choices the best I could to her. I think she got it a little. I wish the dumba** AH could see what he is doing to his family.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm glad he survived but sorry he's back at it.

Big hugs for you because it's got to be hard to watch.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

oh if we could "Make them quit" - ha ha ha

just a suggestion - but I believe the 17 yr old may benefit from some Alateen materials - might help her understand some of the stuff that's going on in the household (and you may have already done this - not sure)

Remember it's ok to take care of YOU and Your children - regardless of the choices he makes - ALL of you deserve to live Happy, Joyous and Free of that daily stress, pain and agony.

Sending BIG HUGS to you,
Rita
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

anvilhead,

I know I am a little slow at taking care of myself. I have been telling myself, 'We'll get through this, it will end and we will all be happy.' Then I stop and realize that he has been using/abusing for the past 7 years, (probably more) and I tell myself, "HE HAS NO INTENTIONS ON QUITTING, HOW MUCH LONGER ARE YOU GOING HOLD ON TO THE ILLUSION THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE OK!!" It is just taking me a long time to go through the process, but...........I HAVE retained a divorce attorney, and just last Wednesday I signed the papers to file.

I do plan on having a life without drugs again.............
Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does your daughter know about the divorce? She seems a little confused. Have you explained to her that you are leaving because you aren't going to have drugs in your life and you can't make someone quit using if they aren't ready too? (I guess that's the bit about detachment, eh?)

Glad to hear you are moving on.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, she does not know about the divorce yet. I was really hoping that the AH and I could have that discussion together with both kids. That is the recommend approach and I feel pretty stongly about it happening that way. That way if they have any questions or comments that are directed at him he is there to answer for himself.