going out on a limb here with a suggestion

Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going out on a limb here with a suggestion

Gang,

I had this little hair-brained idea recently, and I pushed it away cuz it seems so dumb - well, not so much dumb, just not very realistic. But it came back to me while reading some of you wonderful people's posts.

I have had the notion of taking a little trip for a year or two now. This is hard for me cuz I don't have much vacation time each year, nor much money. I may go visit a woman who has moved very far away, whom I haven't seen for over 20 years, who helped raise me when I was a teenager.

But...

Would there be any possibility of creating a S/R Friends & Family retreat??

I guess I'm talking the U.S.; even traveling from one city to another is too costly for some, but a lot of us are in the States. But I'm thinking if I take my tax refund (I always make sure I get one, since I can't hang onto money to save my life) the cost of a plane ticket wouldn't be SO much...

Anyway, no need to go any further, unless there is a spark of interest out there. I would think, though, that a major city/hub would be the smart choice (Atlanta, Vegas, Chicago, Dallas). Not for "night life" mind you, but for the better fares.

Well, like I said, just thought I'd put it out there - and I know, it's "out there"!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's out there at all!
Nice idea. But could you make it an annual, so I can come next year?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would there be any possibility of creating a S/R Friends & Family retreat??
I think it is a fantastic idea coffeedrinker.
cool.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
work in progress

I think it's a great idea....don't forget ORLANDO!!! Great place to meet, fun things to do and it's a pretty inexpensive city.

I like the idea.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love the idea! Thanks, coffeedrinker.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great idea.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that that is an awesome idea - keep me posted!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm always up for a road/plane trip

sofacat, I have a business meeting in Orlando the last full weekend of September.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know some have tried it, and there's been little get togethers but not big ones, most of us just cant afford to get away.

However, if everyone meets in Orlando, keep me posted there are a few of us under 2 hours from there
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

There was one a while back in nyc. I didnt get to go even though I live in nyc, but they had teeshirts made for members to purchase. I still have it!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

A group of us tried it - it's a lot to organize - and like it was mentioned - finances were a big thing for several members.

Then you have the different possible locations, child care needs/entertainment (plus the wide range of age group for kids), smoking/non-smoking, some who don't want to be around alcohol - some who are interested in relaxing around a pool having a fruity adult beverage (just 1 or 2 cause it's not an issue for them) . . .

just to mention a few of the things we ran into when trying to plan it.

It's an AWESOME idea & i would love love love to meet so many of you - it would be wonderful -

Just the practical aspect of it is going to be tough

so please keep me on the possible list if SR starts making a plan - I'd be interested in attending if possible - like so many of you - I LOVES A ROAD TRIP!

HUGS,
Rita
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How about instead of herding cats, we all decide on a date/city and are then responsible for ourselves? We don't have to stay in the same place. My friends and I plan a trip like this to a beach in FL every year, and we learned the less planning we do, the better it works out. We're all going to Panama City Beach in two weeks and only two things are set in stone: I know where I'm staying and I know we'll all hang out together at various times during the long weekend.

Call it a mini-vacation with the bonus of running into a few friends
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I actually organized a trip for 12 people from another message board I belonged to and yes, the biggest hurdle is picking a location that is convenient for the most people. I also plan travel as part of my job as an executive secretary.

These would be my suggestions:
1) ONE person is the main 'organizer' -- Coffeedrinker, that might be you.
2) Choose a major hub city as the destination -- and I would definitely recommend Las Vegas since flights and hotels are usually cheap. Orlando is a good choice, too, although more expensive. Cruise leaving from Miami is also a good choice.
3) Summer is the best time to book these things -- more people will be able to attend because kids' school and sports activities are not an issue. (Summer is also the low season for Vegas -- even cheaper!)
4) Pick a weekend and pick a hotel for the "hub" of activity and TELL people where it is -- don't ask for opinions or "what works" for people because you'll get 100 different answers and won't be able to decide anything.
5) Be prepared and be OK with it if the whole thing falls apart. In other words, book the trip with a girlfriend or whatever so that if it does fall apart, you can still go and have a good time.
6) Set up an icebreaker/reception at the hotel in one of the free meeting rooms at the beginning of the weekend and hand out a schedule of meeting times & places.... "Around the pool at 1:30"; "Dinner at Jack's Grill at 6:30"; "Breakfast on the patio at 9:00", etc. Nothing too structured, just places and times to hook up for those that want to hook up.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

tjp, you're 100% correct about Vegas summer rates. I've got two offers right now for 3 free nights at the MGM Grand and Hilton, and there are no strings attached. I had the same offers last year and used one in September. Also, we learned from all of our business trips to FL that hotel rates go up after 10/1.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips, TJP. Some of my thoughts as well (don't trying taking a poll) and this is what I think so far:

A weekend would prob work best for most - time off the job already, no school/activity issues to worry about with children (get them to the grandparents)

Chino's business in Orlando, plus Sofa's suggestion of that same city, makes me think that September might be really good. (Factor in what TJP said about rates up after Oct)
Also, I know that some of the beloved, and active, members live in Georgia, Louisiana, Florida. They can drive/carpool (?)

I guess in my mind this wouldn't be a "fun" vacation, but rather a relaxing, retreat-type experience. Doesn't have to be that; now that we're thinking major city/tourist sites, I just have to think of it in a different way.

Will def. keep y'all posted on the progress. I have two ideas working on right now.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((Coffee)) - though I'd love to meet more SR people (have met a couple, so far), I doubt I'll have the $$ or time (just started another job). I do think it's a great idea and hope it works out!

However, my cousin is getting married in Oct., and I'm GOING to find a way to get the weekend off, at least! I'll let you know the exact date, when I find out and maybe we can meet up when I'm up there?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy