Has anyone read this book?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone read this book?

I had a magazine out at work today and randomly flipped it open to a random page. It opened up to a page that had this book on it called "The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure." I thought it was kind of odd that in my Stars celebrity gossip magazine that was the page it flopped open too so I wrote down the name. Has anyone heard of this book or read it? Does anyone know if its worth purchasing? I'm going to look into it a little more but I figured I'd ask you guys first. I was thinking about getting it for my EAF(ex alcoholic fiance...did I do that right haha??).
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi Love926. Welcome to SR.
Personally speaking I would not buy a recovery book for somebody else, especially one promising a cure to one of the most 'cunning and baffling' conditions known to humanity.

In my own experience part of learning to detach from the insanity of this disease meant that I no longer interfere or 'help' another person with their recovery but choose to work on myself instead.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This book is written by a guy that runs a high-end rehab place in Malibu. He charges $30-$60k per stay. He says he rejects the "disease model" yet offers a "cure". This makes no sense to me. The AMA and the WHO both consider alcoholism and addiction to be diseases. That's good enough for me.

Having said all that, I am open minded enough to read it, but not enough to line his pockets any more.