Think it's going to be along night ...

Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think it's going to be along night ...

I'm Back again! I'm certainly on standby right now and not sure what's going to happen. Firstly, my AH after almost constant drinking for 10 days has been having withdrawals since Sunday night and as has been vomiting since then regularly. I told him that withdrawals can be dangerous and perhaps he should be in hospital but he said that he was ok for now 'only purging'. He's not shaking like the previous time he went through this and I can't see how I make him go to hospital right now ..... not sure what to do???

Then there's my cat, she's been under the weather this past couple of days and tonight when I got in (later, as I had a counselling session after work) was very wobbly on her feet and kept falling over. I immediately spoke to the vet who was just closing .... he said to come in first thing in the morning. She calmed down a little and had some food but then reverted to falling over. She's asleep at the moment but I'm very concerned for her so keeping a close eye on her too. I'm half thinking of sleeping down on the dining room floor with her ...... not sure if that's a wee bit codie!!!??? I don't feel inclined to sleep down on the lounge floor for him though .... not least because he's been living in that room all week then then vomiting in a bowl ....it smells rotten!!

Just about to do another cat check ... thanks for listening while I share my worries!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Roon,
Your AH may die from withdrawal. He cannot decide for himself if he is just purging, he could be losing all his fluids and I think eletrolytes. Your AH cannot make a decision for himself any more than your cat can right now.
Please call an ambulance.
He has been vomiting for two days? Please at least call the hospital and tell them he is an alcoholic who is coming off a ten day binge and has been vomiting for two days.
Beth
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about this kind of withdrawal, but Wicked does. You can always call an ER or detox facility and ask questions. They would probably advise you to take him in, or call for an ambulance if he is not agreeable.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is not medical advice, but my experience. I was an RN before my addiction ended that career.

If he has been vomiting for two days, it is very likely that his electrolytes are out of whack...things like potassium and sodium, which are extremely important. One can make your heart stop, one can make you have seizures. From what I've read here, alcohol withdrawal can also cause your blood pressure to go sky high...that puts him at a risk for a stroke. When I was in nursing school, the only person I saw die at the mental health facility/rehab was someone who was detoxing from alcohol.

I'm a cat lover. If you don't know that your cat is drinking, see if you can get it to drink something. Elvis (the cat in my avatar) recently got sick and I gave him water with the syringe thing you can buy for kids at a grocery store/pharmacy. They can go without food for days...not so without water.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the insights. He refused for some time to accept he could be in danger and was feeling ok and that actually no one could make him go to hospital. In the end I rang NHS direct (National Health Service) who spoke to him and he agreed to go to the local A&E for re-hydration as suggested. We grabbed a cab and I dropped him off there. He's back home, vomiting stopped and feeling sorry for himself now. I'm feeling very emotionally detached about him at the moment with angry thoughts popping up. I've been thinking that a boundary regarding getting medical help if/when withdrawals occur again is in order. Again I wonder how long I can go on like this.

Amy, Elvis looks so handsome! Unfortunately Elvie my cat, has a suspected brain tumour and has had a few small strokes, she seems to have gone blind in one eye and partial sight in the other. The vet suggested she be nursed and supervised at home for 24 hours and see if there is any improvement. I've been giving her water with a syringe and roast chicken when I can tempt her but she's really having difficulty walking. She's one of two cats who rule the house and over the past 18 months have been the best tonic and company when I've been lonely and grieving. Bless them!! Many thanks for yours thoughts and prayers x
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Roon,
I am glad he got re-hydrated. And the vomiting stopped, but now it's time for the pity party. Geez, so predictable. LOL (i am a recovering alcoholic). I understand being angry, I would be angry too. What about that boundary? I have no ideas on that right now.

Oh, Elvie has a brain tumor. So sorry to hear that. I wish she could just be re-hydrated like your husband. I know she loves that roast chicken. I have a dog myself, but my daughter's cat is quite charming. I will keep Elvie in my thoughts.

Beth