Notices

Really wanting a pain pill

Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Really wanting a pain pill

As I've stated here on SR for several days now. I'm in the middle of a heavy cleanig job. Trying to get ready for my sister to move in with us. I have Hydro #10's from a prescription I get for my back. I was doing really good not needing them for the pain up until yesterday. My back pain is getting worse with all the extra manual labor I'm having to do. I will have 60 days clean this Saturday. I have tons more to do and to make it worse, my husband is now injured and can't hardly walk. So he's no longer able to help me with the work. I've tried all sorts of other methods to help with this pain and I'm at a loss as to what to do. The work has to be completed and I'm the ONLY one left to do it. As well as taking care of our 22 animals.

Is it wrong for me to take the pills while I'm going thru all this extra work that has been put upon me shortly after I made the decision to get off of them? I know they will ease the pain in my back, but I'm scared of what might happen. I am an addict, but I do have a serious back injury.

Does taking the pain meds do away with my clean time since I've been put in this perdicament? I can't decide what to do. But the work isn't getting done because of my injury.

I'm open for suggestions.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

As you can see by my posts, Im in no place to give advice as I am struggling to stay clean myself. However I can at least offer my opinion and hopefully it will give you something to think about.
Were pain meds your DOC? If so, I think its remarkable that you are able to have them in your home and still not take them. Once I am truly clean, it will be a cold day in hell before I keep them around the house for emergencies. I just cant handle that right now. You should be proud of yourself for being able to do it.
Now, I think if you are "counting" clean time then if you do decide to take them it shouldnt count against it IF you are legit with your pain and ONLY take them when you absolutely have to. BUT what are you going to do down the road? I mean this could be a continuous issue for you; have you considered that? Youve got to come up with a solution.
Also, if you do take them, I highly, highly recommend having someone else hold the bottle and give them to you as needed and as directed. Some other suggestions for pain besides OTC meds: massage and voltaren gel (prescription cream- works amazingly well). Good luck with your decision. If you do end up taking them, you shouldnt feel guilty IF you arent lying to yourself about why you are taking them. Make sure you post alot during that time, too.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TOD

I've had to reorder my priorities as you know. If the work is causing you pain - be realistic - do what you reasonably can, get help where possible, and damn the rest.

It goes against my grain too - but it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

As for pain pills - none of us should have to suffer. But as I understand it, hydros were your DOC.

If there's any other alternative, I'd look for it, because, to my mind, yes it does matter.

If you don't feel you can't compromise on your cleaning regimen, and suggestions like nallabelle's don't cut it, and things like tylenol and ibuprofen don't do it either - then I think you need to talk to your doctor about alternative and non addictive pain relief treatments, TOD

D
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My pill addiction started with a fall down the stairs which caused severe disc injury to my L4/L5. After months of refusing narcotics because some how in the back of my mind I knew I would lose control I relented. I started...slowly but surely I went from taking 1/x3 days to 1/xday to 4/xday to 10/xday. The only thing that kept me from taking more was the cost. I just could not pull the money from anywhere else. You and I have been SR friends for a few months. We have both gone through hell. We have lost so much to our addiction. Our clean days are almost the same. Mine is Jan 6. Think COLD TURKEY.. Think vomit, severe back pain, hot flashes to freezing, diarrhea that tears our rear end up, no sleep for weeks, jerky legs that wake you up when you finally can sleep...
I wish you did not have to do all this work so fast. This to me is really putting your sobriety in jeopardy. You have worked so damn hard to get where you are. I HATE to see this situation destroy the strength and power you have developed over your addiction. It is calling you, begging you to come back. CLOSE the door. Please. I know how hard this was for you. Is there anyone you can call to help? If I lived close I would be there in a heartbeat. Can you break the work up into manageable parts? Take 2 -3 hot showers a day? Take 800 mg Motrin or 500 mg Naprosyn every 4-6 hours? Flexeril? I just have really grown to care about you and want to see you stay sober. YES, it f*&^%n sucks at times, but our lives were not manageable. You have managed for 60 days. Give it one more day...just for today, say no.

Ok, IN NO WAY will I judge you or not love you if you relent. I just want to give you a strong boost. Your chickies will love me for it. I am here for you. I am online form 5 - 9 tomorrow checking in continually for you. Sending healing thoughts and waves your way!!!!!!!!!!!

Court :ghug3
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I haven't taken any pain meds since the last post. I'm still trying to hold out. I took a vivarin to get me moving past the thought of wanting to just sit and hurt. I rubbed some absorbine junior on my back to help. So far I'm doing okay. I had to get the 22 animals cleaned up after and now I need to make a trip to wally world. My poor husband went to bed with his knee injury. I REALLY DON'T want to take the pain meds. My mind screams NO. It's this injured back that is screaming YES! So I'm in a battle with the two right now. I've never been in this kind of pain in the past after going CT off the pain meds. So this is a new experience to deal with. I have a very STRONG WILL POWER and the thought of coming up on 60 days clean is just driving me nuts.

I've also received an email from my son-in-law since this last posting asking if he could throw a surprise 30th BD party at our house before they deploy to Maryland. Oh Me, Oh My. Of course I told him yes.

My husband has the pain meds put away somewhere. He doesn't want me to take them, but he see's the pain I'm in also and is torn on his decision. I know well enough, my husband will injure himself even more to keep me from taking the meds by continuing to do the heavy work around here. I just can't afford for that to happen. He has zero medical insurance right now. I on the other hand am seen for free, as a retired veteran, at the VA Hospital.

What about later? I've gone CT off the pain meds around six times. I don't want to be on them. I wouldn't even be considering taking one now if it weren't for all the manual labor I've been thrown into having to take care of in a very short time. Which is putting a real strain on my injured lower back. And my DOC is pain meds, UNFORTUNATELY!!!! This is why I'm in such a dilemma as to whether or not to take them while I'm getting everything done. I've gone over 50 days not wanting to take them. I LOVE AND ENJOY the person I am off of them. So does my family. That's why I only want to take them while I get this job done. My lil sister will be moving in next weekend, 27, 28 March.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel for you and I am very grateful I am in a program that simply doesn't give me any options on whether I can or can't. I've suffered thru some hell pain and I wanted some relief but surprisingly I lived thru it all with motrin. It works. I can't be your judge about your pain but I know my addiction could kill me so I would rather live with my pain I think than with the possibility that I might not get another chance at recovery. Nobody but you can decide what is best for you but for me I would try anything else first.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi TOD

I've had to reorder my priorities as you know. If the work is causing you pain - be realistic - do what you reasonably can, get help where possible, and damn the rest.

It goes against my grain too - but it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

As for pain pills - none of us should have to suffer. But as I understand it, hydros were your DOC.

If there's any other alternative, I'd look for it, because, to my mind, yes it does matter.

If you don't feel you can't compromise on your cleaning regimen, and suggestions like nallabelle's don't cut it, and things like tylenol and ibuprofen don't do it either - then I think you need to talk to your doctor about alternative and non addictive pain relief treatments, TOD

D
Hi my friend:

I have lidocaine patches that only numb the surface. My pain is deep. I fractured vertrabraes L 1, 2, & 3 when I was 16 from a car wreck. The pain clinic gave me Prolotherapy back on 7 May 09. This treatment is what has put me in so much more pain. I just had (8) deep injections this past Friday. It helped for about two days. I have a stretchy thingy I wear around my lower middle that helps somewhat. I keep having sharp darting shooting pain that is continuously going through my whole lower back area. And to top it off. I have a heated pain feeling on top of all this. I do all sorts of exercises that was taught to me by a physical therapist. My doctor knows I've gone off the pain meds. He almost had a heart attack when I told him I did it CT. He gave me a stronger anti-inflammatory tablet that I asked for. We are doing everything we can to make me better.

I'm just really at my wits end right now. I've asked around for help and even offered to pay for it. There just isn't anyone to help.

Marsh: Thank you so much for your offer of help and kind words.

Nab: We are all one of a kind, aren't we? I hate these damn pills, but I know they bring relief and that's the bitch of it. I'm still trudging on right now w/o the opiates in my system. I will not buckle under to them unless I'm just too far gone in pain. And then I'd probably have to pry them out of my husband's possession. So I'm probably safe from taking them.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

As someone who has taken pain meds, my first question is this:
If you planned to remain clean, totally free of meds, why were they still there?
Is this an old script from a different injury or need?
Does the prescribing physician know of your addiction issues?
I did not choose to take pain meds until about a year of trying other avenues. When I did, it was only after careful consideration. But I made the mistake of self medicating first before I spoke honestly with my doctor. Don't make my mistake. If you are having pain issues, speak to the doctor first.
All opiates that have come into my home have been locked up and are never in my control.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

It's an old script. And no I haven't taken any. I'm just doing what I need to be doing to not take any.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I still haven't taken any pain meds. I took three of the leg cramp tablets and rubbed some more absorbine jr on my back. I did however make my Baileys in milk. I told my husband to take the pill I wanted for his leg. Don't know if he did though he needs it more than I do. His left leg, the muscle right above his knee cap is four times the size it should be. He can't hardly walk. He deals with pain WAY BETTER than I do and he's HURTING.

Bear: In answer to the question of why I have pills in the house. I usually don't have a problem once I've gotten off of them. Due to the fact I have to go thru the VA Hospital to get pain meds, it is a real BI**H to get any. Back when I injured all my female parts and went in for pain meds I thought I was going to curl up and die before I'd be given any. So I play by my rules not theirs now.

My doctor knows I have a problem with them. He will only prescribe so many a month. And since I always take more than I'm supposed to, I would rather not take any at all. It's just hard to explain the drive I have mentally to stay off of them when I'm not put into such a predicament of this manual labor right now.

I have so much to do by myself now I'm really hurting more than I normally would. Since the injections from last Friday. I'm starting to have really sharp pains going thru my lower back. I had bent over to pick something up off the floor beside my husbands chair about an hour ago and when I went to straighten up I had such a sharp pain shoot thru my back I took in a sharp breath and just stood there holding my breath and hanging onto his chair. This is just part of the pain I'm dealing with.

I have a GF that I graduated with and her husband was getting shots in his back also. He had to stop taking them due to they were causing him more harm than good. I think I'm at that point. I only want to take the pain meds to help me get things done before my sister moves in. And my husband would be handing them out. It wouldn't be up to me to take them when I wanted.

But as of right now I haven't taken any. I have the 60 days clean date in sight from the pain meds and I'm hanging onto that with clenching teeth.

Thank you everyone for thinking of me and helping to keep my mind on the right track. I have no desire to take the pain meds for the high. I just want some relief from the pain while I'm suffering thru this major job that has been pushed upon me.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

I just want to give you a strong boost. Your chickies will love me for it.

Yes Marshgirl: My chickies do love me more for not being strung out on the pain meds. My husband has taken over taking care of half the work for me up until two days ago when he got injured. SOOOOOOO! They ALL got cared for by myself yesterday and today. They do love their momma and show it to me all the time. Chinese Silkies are a very docile breed of chicken and they love to be loved on. They are little snugglers. I had to take my little Lucy girl, (my avatar) to the Vet today. She has an inner ear infection. She looks like she has Palsy with the way she shakes her head. Wiggle head is what I call it.

But back to myself: It's a damn shame I'm so close to 60 days and needing pain meds so bad. That 60 days is why I haven't taken a pill. I'm a stubborn cuss and I've said to way a many person; "I have a certificate that intitles me to be a Bi**h". Of course my husband says he's going to stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL RIGHT you are!!!!

I threw the bottle of pills in the cat room. They are using it for a batting toy. Don't worry, it's got a child proof cap. I don't do cats and I stay out of that room. So there's no telling where that bottle will end up in that cluttered room. I can't handle cat hair and that bottle will be covered in it as well as other stuff I won't mention.

I've had my music jamming while I've been working and that's a real picker upper for me. I'm a night owl and it's 2:45 am in the morning. So I'm going back to work in the bedrooms now before it gets any earlier.

Stay sweet and I'll watch for your posts. You are an inspiration and being so close in our clean time I don't want you too much further ahead of me than you already are. I just feel like if I took a pill I wouldn't feel right about my clean time. No matter if it was for painful reasons.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((TOD))

I am not a lawyer or anything to do with the legal stuff but I think if you call your attorney or the judge and can document (have pics before and after the work started, receipts for the number and size of trips to the dump or disposal area, etc) and show that both you and your husband have legitimate injuries, the judge may grant you some extra time to get the job done.

It's also possible that if you are physically unable to do the heavy lifting the judge or county might be able to offer some help or financial advice. Please, have your husband call your lawyer. If you don't have one, can you get legal aid? Some law offices do pro bono work but I don't know where to find it. Can the VA help you there?

If you or your husband is a Union Member, there's something called "Union Plus" that has 30 minutes free legal advice over the phone. I think if you check the union webpage, it has a link.

All the stress might be making your pain worse from tension. Please, your health comes first!

I hope this helps. Just know I'm thinking about you and your husband. You're not alone.

Much love,

Lenina
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hi Lenina:

Oh my! Where did I go wrong with this posting?

This job I'm doing has nothing to do with the Legal System. This is all our mess we are trying to get cleaned up inside these two bedrooms and the barn in order to get ready for my sister to move in that is getting a divorce. We had chicken crates in one of these bedrooms and they are now moved outside. My sister is allergic to hay dust. The floor in the closet had to be replaced due to a leaky hot water tank. The floor was wet and moldy.

And as far as the VA is concerned. They could give a rats ass about us veterans. We are pretty much a SSN to them. And women veterans have it WAY worse than the men do. I was in serious pain and bleeding daily for a year. My OBGYN at the VAH said I was mental and needed to be locked up and do not give me a hysterectomy. It took me a year of fighting every day to get it. The first words out of my mouth after surgery to my husband were; "The pain is gone". Imagine the less pain I would have had if I could have gotten that hysterectomy sooner? So no, I don't ask the VA for much. And to think our President wants to turn everything over to the Government for Health Care. That's just a very scary thought.

Sorry for the misunderstanding as to what I'm having to go thru and the short time I have to do it in.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((TOD)))

Sorry I was misunderstanding the situation, is there any one, family, friends, neighbors who can help? I believe there's companies who will do this job you for a fee. Can you get a fund raiser together?

Is it possible the county might offer some help if asked? Maybe ask the Chaplin? S/he may know or have some advice.

I am so sorry to know the VA is letting our vets down. I used to do some volunteer work in a VA Hospital. Also with the USO. Among other things, so let me think, there's something out there to help!

I'll check in first thing in the morning with you, please don't make your injuries worse!

You're in my thoughts.

Much love.

Lenina
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Thank you Lenina:

I haven't taken any pain meds. I just took my night night pills about ten minutes ago. So I'll be hitting the sack in about an hour w/o any pain meds in me. *****. My house right now looks like you took it and shook it all up and everything inside is not where it's supposed to be. My livingroom has been the catch all place. We spend most of our time here in the smoke room which is a converted porch on the backside. My back is hurting, but nothing out of the ordinary right now. It's the Prolotherapy treatment that has put me in this condition. My back wasn't this bad before that treatment. I grew up hauling hay bales, firewood and splitting truck loads of firewood. Then after 22 years in the Army, you can well imagine I'm a fairly muscular woman. So I have the strength to do the job, just not the back pain with it. I just might have to spend the money on the extra water and fill the whirlpool up later on today. It would probably do me some good to let the water beat the you know what out of my back muscles. I'll get back to ya on whether or not I did this.

Love ya Lil Woman. And thanks a bunch.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I have to work very hard so my posts don't sound judgmental. It's not something I'm very good at. So, I'll just make it a disclaimer before I begin. I never judge anyone's decision to use pain meds.
But I remain confused. If you view taking any opiates ever as a relapse, yet you keep them around, it feels like a set-up to me.
If you need pain medication, which is taken with guidance from a doctor who knows your situation and is taken for legit pain within prescribed guidelines without excess use after careful consideration, do you still view that as relapse?
I'm concerned that you're "hanging on" for 60 days with this "either/or" view of pain meds yet they're still in your home.
I am neither encouraging nor discouraging the use of meds. I just don't understand your current position. I'm concerned that you could find yourself in intense pain, take a pill, call it a relapse and get a case of the "f*ck-it's" and fall into chronic use again.
Do you understand what I mean?
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Progressive Metal Vocalist

Hi,
I agree with both DEE & STAGEBEAR--

This seems very uncomfortable (no pun) for you. TO thine own self be true. No one here will know what you do--you will know. So, with what you are saying about relapse and hanging on to old pills sure seems like a path to ultimate failure. I'd probably chuck the pain medication and if the back pain is THAT SEVERE then the ER may be your option.
Pain won't kill you-drugs will.

Please be careful....

Mark/Gun_S
Old 03-18-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Don't. thank you
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Heathen

Flush them, and ask that your doctor offer you non-narcotic pain relief options. That would be what I would do, if I truly didn't want to take pilss again. Actually, that IS what I did. I have pain too sometimes, but I'm an addict. I cannot and will not flirt that closely with my addiction again. I am strong, and I can endure much more pain than I ever thought I could while I was using.. hell I'd take a few vicodin for a hangnail.. stupid rationalization. There would be absolutely no reason for me to have pills in my house unless I intended on using them. That would make as much sense to me as buying a steak and keeping it in my fridge (I'm a vegetarian). Nonsense.. I know if *I* had a bottle of pills, it would be because I knew I would take them at some point. Luckily with a lot of hard work, and a bit of pain I have found other ways to deal with my 'bad back' days.. (or hangnail days ).
Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

AAAAHHHH Bear: I HAVE NEVER JUDGED YOU ON WHAT YOU SAY. I take everything you say with a grain of salt. Anyone reading can take it or leave it. Hell! I've worn Army combat boots for over 22 years. I've heard and seen everything imagineable. So don't be afraid to speak your mind where I'm concerned. If you hurt my feelings, you'll be the first to hear about it, FROM ME! Now that that has been said.

I am neither encouraging nor discouraging the use of meds. I just don't understand your current position. I'm concerned that you could find yourself in intense pain, take a pill, call it a relapse and get a case of the "f*ck-it's" and fall into chronic use again.
Do you understand what I mean?

Yes I am in intense pain. I don't worry about the "f*ck-it's" because I truly don't like being that person on the pain meds. There was a time back in 2005/2006 where I got off the pain meds. I had about 20 of them in the house. I had 2 1/2 years clean before I ever took another one. It was due to the female parts being injured.

My doctor knew about the lower back pain and was trying all sorts of treatments to help. That's when I received the Prolotherapy from him. It made the pain into this intense pain I have now. The pain is all thru my lower muscles on both sides of my lower back. The lower vertabraes were also affected with this injection.

I'm not looking for a reason to take the pills. I've been put into a position of doing manual labor that has put me here. So yes I'm also confused in what to do for myself. There isn't anything new my doctor can do for me at this time. We've tried all there is. Once I get past this manual labor I'll be able to go back to my normal pace. I'm not looking to relapse and won't have the pills readily handy to do this. They are in control of my husbands' care.

I still haven't taken any and will do my best not to.