Notices

March 1st, 1977

Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

March 1st, 1977

Since I'm not going to a meeting until Wednesday, I thought I'd mention it here.

I talked to a friend of mine today who was around when I came to AA. He told me that I should "stand guard at the portal of thought" and "constant vigilance" was needed if I was to stay sober. Doug said, "one of these days it's going to get so good that if you ask for a boat, you'd better have a place to park it." Today he told me he'd just passed 41 years sober and is so grateful to be a recovering alcoholic because the freedom from alcohol allows him to do whatever he chooses to do today. He's 73 years old and still plays in a swamp rock band down in Texas and writes the music for the band.

Well, I'm 67 years old. I've been married 47 years and have 3 kids. Son 46, son 44 and my baby daughter who's 40 in July. Darlene and I have 10 grandkids, and soon to be 2 great-grandkids. We've become Cahtolic in the past couple years and sponsor a family of 9 in Peru through our church. We're both retired, have a 30 foot trailer permantly parked at a campground 3miles from our home. We spend most of our time, even during the winter at our trailer where we're cozy and surrounded with snow, deer, raccoons, squirels, possum and Canada geese. I could go on but I won't bore you all with any more. I just want to say that I haven't found it necessary to drink alcohol since the above date and I'm so grateful. Darlene is speaking at an open meeting on Wednesday, that she and I and our sponsors started 30 years ago in my sponsor's living room. When it got too big we had to move it to a beautiful catholic church down the street where the group still flourishes. When our church friends found out she was speaking, they elected to come hear her and support her.

Today I have my immediate family, my AA family and my new catholic family. I'm so blessed, and all this happened because on March 1st, 1977 when I was sitting in my living room with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other, I was given the gift of the desire to stop drinking. And all of you in my SR family, thank you for your support and friendship over the several years I've been coming here. I couldn't do it without all of you. I love you all.

Music
Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thats amazing! It did take me a few minutes to work out that you are a guy there, sorry forum and all that...i was thinking who's Darlene?! Thanks for the share man:-)
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your share Music.and thanks for being here.
i always enjoy your input.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome Music... Thanx for sharing.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Music, I wasn't bored, I like the detail of the snow, raccoons and deer. I was almost there

Congratulations on your Birthday and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Truly awesome. Congratulations, Music!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

thanks for sharing your recovery blessings with us

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up Awesome!!

:day

Music, it's gratifying to see the promised blessings coming true for you, your family and friends, and bringing light to your corner of the world all these many years. Over three decades of sustained solid sobriety really moves even the greatest mountains before any of us, and your faith is abundantly evident. Your share is a beautiful testament to what can be gifted when we just keep on the path of grace, gratitude, and service to all those we are fortunate enough to have touched their lives somehow. What a wonderous journey of happiness sobriety is for those who venture with it.

You touch my life, Music, and for that I'm grateful and enriched. All the best for all the rest of the many years to come. Godspeed.

Rob
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats a pretty good example of god doing for you that you couldnt do for yourself..

1977....I was 11 and i think that was the year of the queens silver jubilee here with lots of street parties....long summers making bow and arrows and chasing girl guides..lol..

have a great day..
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you music!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic. Music you're an inspiration.

Paul
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I was never very good at arithmetic, but isn't that something like 12,045 ODAAT's??

Thank you for leading by your example, Music, and for sharing your ES&H with our members.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Music - I've been reading your posts for a long time. To me, you are the perfect embodiment of a guy who carries the message. Thanks for the inspiration, and congratulations on your accomplishment.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Waht a beautiful and gratitude-filled post! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your anniversary!

freya
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Music, love reading your posts!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Music. There are a number of folks on this forum who when I see they have a post, I am pulled to that thread, and you are one of those guys.