Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

New to Recovery, want to quit so bad, these doctors keep pushing and pushing pills

Notices

New to Recovery, want to quit so bad, these doctors keep pushing and pushing pills

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool New to Recovery, want to quit so bad, these doctors keep pushing and pushing pills

Im at the point where while im in class i need to run to the bathroom to do a pill and i set a goal to be sober in 2 weeks my anxiety is to high to goto meetings in person so I decided to try it out here online, im 22 yrs old, I goto school for Microsoft, I hurt my back and have been prescribed 240 oxycodone, 90 xanax for the past year, will I be able to gradually cut back and be sober in 2 weeks? Im new to all this, any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, like a detox program maybe, I live in Palm Beach, FL, I would prefer to only discuss with people that know my PAIN, :/ Thank You and God Bless!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would highly recommend you discuss weaning off the drugs with another Dr if the one you have doesn't listen to you about wanting to quit. What is his reasoning?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi xLoveIsPaiNx561

Welcome to SR.

As a caveat let me say I have no personal experience of these drugs - read around and you'll find a lot of other people's stories, both here and in our substance abuse forum.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Like ghal suggested, I too strongly suggest medical supervision when dealing with problems like this.

If your current Dr is unsuitable to you for any reason please find another.

good luck
D
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the doc

i dont have health insurance so switching to another doctor i cannot afford and the doctor i have been seeing for the year now prescribing me oxycodone and xanax im ready to get off i tried to cold turkey and THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE had no idea about "withdrawl sypmtoms" omg i dont even wana go there, he has also told me " i may need to be on opiates the rest of my life " is that true?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insurance or not, only another Dr can tell you if thats true xLoveIsPaiNx561.

None of us can analyse your problem or comment on your treatment. We cannot give out medical advice here.

I'm not American so I have no advice about how to get medical help without insurance.

I'd check around to see if you're eligible for any free clinics in your area, or any kind of federal or state medical aid or financial subsidy or assistance.

D
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you realize you need to get off the drugs.

I really hope you can talk to a dr about weaning off the drugs, or go to an ER and ask for help.

As far as the drs comment about you needing to be on opiates forever, I hope that isn't true. If it is, then you and your dr can work out something that you're both comfortable with. But, I know that there are alternative treatments to back problems, so it definitely is worth looking for another opinion.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dana Point, California

Narcotic Free Addiciton Recovery

There are a lot of recovery experts out there that provide solutions on getting free of pain medications and managing pain. Your probably need to call a detox center first and there are quite a few listed on SoberRecovery off the main page. I know from experience that detox hurts like hell and is actually dangerous without medical supervision, especially the Xanax.

Hang in there and make some calls guy.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
karen12

I know everything about Xanax. I took 8mg xanax, 4mg klonopin and 30mg temazepam a day for over 2 years (all powerful benzodiazepines). I drank alcohol everyday.

I didn't know how to slow taper off and tried many c/t attempts for over a year having seizures and convlusions. Causing brain shock that only furthered the damage.

I am in year three now after trying to get off and am still very sick, but very much improved. It has been a walk in hell and words cannot describe how horrible it was. I convulsed in a ball and had electrical currents in both arms and legs for many months. I went in and out of reality for 18 months. I thought it would never end and I was damaged for life. I never knew such pain for so long. I thought about suicide to excape the hell.

I am tapering off percocet and it's a walk in the park compaired to benzos. The opiate taper is flaring up my benzo symptoms though.

You need to slow taper off with a long acting benzo like klonopin or valium. Find a taper protocol that fits your needs. When I say slow I mean many months. Rehabs won't do this for you, they can't, it takes too long. They will take you off in a week or two or just 3 days with an anti-seizure med.

Some people can come off easier than others. I hope your a lucky one.

karen