Notices

RIP Mark H.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RIP Mark H.

I was saddened to learn that Mark Houston passed away on Feb. 19, 2010. While I never met the man, I've heard most all of his talks. While I was taken through the steps in 2007 I spent a lot of time listening to his FOTS tapes from 2001. His message absolutely helped pull me into the program. I was hooked and while I knew I had no idea what the spiritual path was going to look like, I didn't care. This man gave me hope. Of course, then I had to listen to folks he sponsored like Chris R. And then Mark's sponsor, Don P. As I would listen to these guys and hear how they had been given power, how their lives had been transformed and how they had been given power to help others, I realized that I was on the same path, and if I stayed close to the precise clear cut instructions laid out in the Big Book, I would have the same experience that they had. It has and continues to happen for me daily. RIP Mark, you were given the power to help others, and you helped thousands, including this alcoholic.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you, BP. I hate to hear it. Mark Houston and Joe Hawk (both now deceased) are two guys that packed the message no matter what. Thank God they left recorded talks behind, so that we can still learn from their experience.

From the obit: There will be a memorial service for Mark Houston on Sunday, February 28, 2010, from 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. at the Austin Music Hall, 208 Nueces St., Austin, TX 78701.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After listening to his audio. He was a searcher. Always looking for the next spiritual experience. Meditation at the exact same time monks do it. Doing a 5th step five times with different people. Steel on Steel. I thought some of that a bit excessive, but it worked for him. I love hearing him talk about amends. RIP
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have very much enjoyed listening to his talks. He is one of a number of people who have inspired me to put more action into the program.

Dose anyone know how he passed on?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG...I can't believe it! This is so sad and such a loss. I was just listening to one of his "How Free Do You Want to Be?" talks last night...He can't have been much more than 60 or so, can he?....this makes me so very sad.

freya
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As I was told over the weekend by people who knew him, he suffered an aneurysm. As those things tend to be, it was very sudden.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is with great sadness that we confirm that Mark Houston passed away on the evening of Friday, February 19th, 2010.

Please join us at a memorial service to celebrate and remember the life of Mark Houston.

Services will be held on Sunday, the 28th of February, 2010 at 2:oopm-5:00pm at the Austin Music Hall.

The Austin Music Hall is located at
208 Nueces Street
Austin, TX 78701

This is from the lahaciends website.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Chris. My brother suffered a brain aneurysm and lived. His case is a rarity. Unfortunately, it has affected him negatively and and in the past few years requires some home care. The good news is that he has been sober 22 years. He got the aneurysm when he was 1 yr sober.

Originally Posted by chrisinaustin View Post
As I was told over the weekend by people who knew him, he suffered an aneurysm. As those things tend to be, it was very sudden.