Question

Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Hi everyone,
I am hoping I can get a little direction and help. My dad is an addict and has relapsed again (3rd time). When he was confronted, he denied it. I understand that relapse is part of recovery, but I am having a hard time on how do I support him, but still keep healthy boundries. I dont think I would be struggling so much, if he would have come clean. Can I do both? I would love any feedback.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board Dan. I wish I had some useful information for you, but as none of the alcoholics in my life ever tried recovery, I'm afraid I'm not sure how to respond. I'm sure someone else will be along to offer up something.

Meanwhile, I do recommend that you read the "stickies" at the top of this forum if you haven't already.

Something that I think is pertinent to your current situation is the first rule of rescue (used by anyone in any physical rescue situation): never put the rescuer at risk. No matter what is going on, you need to make sure you take care of yourself first, and your dad second (assuming you decide to do anything in regards to his situation).

Also remember that you can not control his behavior. He will do what he will do, no matter what you do to support, hinder or otherwise attempt to alter his behaviors. You are not responsible for him.