Co-parenting with an Alcoholic Scene 2

Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Co-parenting with an Alcoholic Scene 2

I decided to start my own thread so as not to highjack LTD's.

I need to vent too.

Sigh..........

XAH lives in my town. Due to his choice he sees each kid 5 days per month. Which totals 10 days a month. On occassion he has both at once. I am thankful I can provide the stability and reliability for most of their days.

So, a few weeks ago 13 year old excitedly tells me, "Mom, guess what??? I was babysitting for friends of dad's. Dad, this couple and a lady visiting them all went out while I stayed with the 14 month old. When they came back they were so drunk they couldn't walk. Dad had to help them in the house. But, mom, the neat part was dad wasn't drunk."

Sigh.... and kid and dad left these people with the baby and my kid thought that was normal. Great opportunity for a talk. She really thought it cool her dad was not falling down drunk and that he set a good example. I had to tie myself to a chair to not blurt out, "What 49 year old hangs out with young 30's in a bar to get that loaded?" Not exactly a family activity. And for God's sake what about that baby? What about him driving the 13 year old home?

Fast forward to yesterday. He has plans to go visit the lady from above. Problem is she lives 10 hours away. He has 13 year old. So, he drives her 3 hours from here to leave her with his relatives. He does not run this by me first, which would have been the respectful thing to do. He does not leave insurance info with relatives, and he ditches his kid on this long weekend so he can have a holiday with his new lover.

Oh, we have been separated 3 years, divorced 1.5 and he has never taken a long weekend with the kids. He only has long weekends with himself and his friends. I guess the 10 days of parenting a month are enough. And this is the guy that initially wanted no change in the kids' lives and would be fully involved.

Vent over. I feel like I am in a Jerry Springer Show.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry

Sometimes I can't decide if it would be better to have an XAH who fights to be involved (like mine) or who doesn't want to be...seems like both kind of suck.