update on husband

Old 01-17-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tam

update on husband

hello everyone, well got my husband into rehab last tuesday, he was excited and went in..BUT 4 hours later, they wouldnt give him anything to keep him calm (he is bipolar) and he walked out, the young couple he is living with picked him up. the next night he was in the ER combative and manic, again
needing meds to calm down and shots for pain..he was verbally abusive to me so I left and he called the couple to bring him his bottle of oxycodone.
he is back living in their apt. (they are 26 he is 52)..he takes 360 mg.day
since that time, I have disabled his car, removed him from our car ins. and
have not paid any of his bills (a parking fine was due last week)..and he basically has no money. I think Im doing the right things here to not enable him, after going through 5 rough weeks, I have pretty much got myself under control with handling this situation (I dont feel so panic,depressed,angry)but
I miss him very much (we are married 25 years,he has no other family but mine) as he is a terrific guy.
friday he told our boss he is calling another rehab monday (will believe it when he does)
my question is.. his pain management dr.was contacted by the first rehab and
the ER dept...he has an appt. in 2 weeks..will this dr.continue to give him these meds knowing that he has a problem with them? this dr.wont take my calls (privacy act)..but now he heard from the hospitals confirming my concerns with his addiction.
thank you all for your support, after reading other posts it has helped me through this journey.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have an answer to your question but this caught my eye

I have disabled his car, removed him from our car ins.
and want to say good for you! My daughter knows I will do the same if I think she's relapsed.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tam

yes, I was a few steps ahead of him and still am, taking alot of effort and thinking on my part, but we have to do this for them to get help. (of course my main objective was to keep the public/him safe)..
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have no wise words, Tam, but am sending some hugs and a bucket of prayers that he makes better choices soon and gets the support he needs medically.

Glad you are taking care of yourself.

Hugs
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have established your boundaries and done what you can to protect yourselves and others. Can't say whether his doctor will still prescribe (I sure hope not, but I've seen stranger things than that) but if an addict wants to use there is always a way. I hope he decides he is done soon.