Notices

Sober Monday

Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Sober Monday

It was so nice this morning to do the school run and look people in the eye instead of avoiding them because I am ashamed to be hungover and all I can think of is getting home and crawling into bed until I have to go back and pick him up at hometime.

When I am hungover my son doesn't get good food because I can't manage it. Today I happily bought him fresh stir fry veg and chicken breast to cook his favourite chow mein tonight. It feels great to nourish myself physically and spiritually........and nourish him well physically. The small things like this mean so much.

All the best to everyone having a day sober today and to those still drinking/using, life is so rewarding sober. I'm grateful.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your post sounds very similar to me. I used to take my Daughter to school and hang back a little as I knew I STUNK of booze.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you, intention! It feel *so good* to wake up rested and not hung over. Reminds me of being a kid, before alcohol ever hit my body. To welcome the day and to bring a sober self to people I love - that is the best. I'm grateful too, and thanks for helping me to remember it.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JJB

Me too I was looking forward to waking up wide eyed and bushy tailed after a sober weekend but instead woke up with a terrible headache, aching all over and a desire to sleep , sleep , sleep.
Ah well at least i knew it was the flu and could go and see the doctor in good conscience!
To think that I used to actually inflict such symptoms on myself-madness!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
Your post sounds very similar to me. I used to take my Daughter to school and hang back a little as I knew I STUNK of booze.
Hi Spen,
I never used to smell of booze because I only drank wine. Well that is what I told myself.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
To welcome the day and to bring a sober self to people I love - that is the best. I'm grateful too, and thanks for helping me to remember it.
Hi Sneezy, it's something we must never forget. Having relapsed after years of recovery, I know that every day I must work my programme to stay sober and clean. Enjoy yourself at your best
Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Ah well at least i knew it was the flu and could go and see the doctor in good conscience!
To think that I used to actually inflict such symptoms on myself-madness!
Hi JJB, you had me worried there when I first read that - grateful to have the flu ! Hope you feel better soon, but even your worse day sober can never be as bad as your best day drunk.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJB

ha yes, maybe I should have posted on the "gratitude list" thread instead LOL
Enjoy your day with your son!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate!

Funny - I used to count myself "hung over" only on Sundays. However Monday mornings were hell too, and all day Monday, I would be in a fog, and just barely maintaining.

How wonderful it is to be truly awake and rested and ready to take on the day. I literally feel like a different person than my old Monday person. And, really - I wouldn't totally straighten up back to something like 'normal' until Thursday of each week. God, the torture I put my mind and body through!

Sneezy - you said something that really struck me...feeling like when you were a kid before the booze hit your body. That's an interesting concept, because when I have my moments of panic at wondering if I'll ever be able to have "fun" again, etc. - I think back to when I was a child and teen before drinking. I remember that I used to laugh and 'play', and have plenty of fun being with my friends, who were also not drinkers. Therefore, I know it's possible...and possible for me.

Intention ---->
Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good day, dinner sounds yummy!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can relate. I would normally spend most of my Sundays drunk, so Mondays were pretty bad. Very nice to wake up hangover free.

I got through my first weekend sober in about 9 years, I am on day 8 today.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Krodos, that's AWESOME! :day6
Old 01-11-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good stuff here - thanks for the memory of how it used to be. I can't believe I poisoned myself for so long, thinking I was dealing with life by numbing myself.

I liked Sneezy's thought about childhood, too - that's something to contemplate. Why did we think we needed to improve on the happiness we had then? For me, I thought I was buffering myself from adult stress & responsibility. It sure did backfire.

Great thoughts from everyone this morning, thank you.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by humblestudent View Post
. And, really - I wouldn't totally straighten up back to something like 'normal' until Thursday of each week. God, the torture I put my mind and body through!

Intention ---->
Thankyou Humblestudent.

I was so similar to you. About Thursday I would start to feel normal again. You would never guess what I did on Friday !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Krodos View Post
I got through my first weekend sober in about 9 years, I am on day 8 today.
That's incredible. Congratulations, Krodos. You must feel great
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover is the absolute best part for me. I don't think I realized how badly I felt until I felt good. When I think of some of those mornings..practically still drunk from the night before, just wanting to go back to bed after the boys got on the bus. It's really amazing I managed it for so long. I don't ever want to be back there and it wasn't that long ago. Thanks for the post, intention! Congrats on 8 days, Krodos!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I couldn't have done it without this forum. If I felt a craving and had thoughts of going to buy some alcohol, I reminded myself that I wouldn't be able to post my awesome progress here anymore.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think another Godshot is occurring here...

Recently, I had been thinking of this very same thing (things I used to do drunk and so happy that I don't do them now) and here it is in this awesome thread.

I like that it's in the newcomer's forum where it's very visible.

What I find very, very cool is that when I go to the dr's, I proudly check the NO box on the 'Do you drink alcohol question' and know that it's not a lie!

...and I've got the clear eyes and head to prove it :rotfxko
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
What I find very, very cool is that when I go to the dr's, I proudly check the NO box on the 'Do you drink alcohol question' and know that it's not a lie!

...and I've got the clear eyes and head to prove it :rotfxko

LOL I used to lie on that one everytime !