# 1 (permalink)  
REZ

JFT December 28

December 28

Depression

“We are no longer fighting fear, anger, guilt, self-pity, or depression.”

Basic Text, p. 27

––––=––––

As addicts, many of us experience depression from time to time. When we feel depressed, we may be tempted to isolate ourselves. However, if we do this, our depression may turn to despair. We can’t afford to let depression lead us back to using.

Instead, we try to go about the routine of our lives. We make meeting attendance and contact with our sponsor top priorities. Sharing with others about our feelings may let us know we aren’t the only ones who have been depressed in recovery. Working with a newcomer can work wonders for our own state of mind. And, most importantly, prayer and meditation can help us tap the power we need to survive depression.

We practice acceptance and remember that feelings like depression will unquestionably pass in time. Rather than struggle with our feelings, we accept them and ask for the strength to walk through them.

––––=––––

Just for today: I accept that my feelings of depression won’t last forever. I will talk openly about my feelings with my sponsor or another person who understands.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
REZ

It's important for me to remember that my feelings--good, bad, whatever--will change. I won't feel depressed (or elated) forever. By keeping some perspective on my feelings, I can learn to survive my emotions without using drugs.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am feeling overwhelmed by feelings...it's hard to do the next right thing when it doesn't feel like my HP, the world or other people don't care, notice or respond to all my efforts the way I think they should.

It's hard. I am jealous, paranoid, angry, disappointed and as a result of all that poison...depressed. I am wondering why all my effort isn't having an effect on "them" (stupid I know, I'm just being honest here) but even more so why it isn't having more of an effect on ME.

The desire to use hasn't been magically lifted, I'm still waiting for the much coveted pink cloud, the only area I seem to be winning in is "newcomer with the most defects".

I should be wearing a "I went into recovery and all I got was this bad attitude" t-shirt.

I guess you could say that I've lost sight of why I am doing this. Same old life, same old pain, same old me...nothing to buffer. My life is just as unmanageable, I am just as unmanageable.

My HP says "grab a spoon and start digging", unfortunately it seems the only way to get rid of the junk I dig up is to eat it, and it's causing a mighty case of indigestion.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
REZ

Hang in there! Things will get better if you don't use and keep on doing the next right thing.