Notices

New to this, but guess that is nothing new.....;-)

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this, but guess that is nothing new.....;-)

Hi there,

Should start by saying I'm from the United Kingdom. Always thought I could 'handle' my drink until a couple of years ago, .........Once I start drinking and 'get merry', then, for some reason I just have to get sooooo drunk!! No idea why, never used to be like that 6 years ago, but more recently as soon as I start drinking, I just have to get drunk. I feel so stupid confiding here, feel weak for saying I CAN'T CONTROL my drinking like my friends can, but it is true. Have tried a few things.......not taking much money out with me, saying to myself I can control it etc.....but none of it works. So hoping, that after my ramblings that someone out there may be able to give me some words of their finer wisdom!!
And as one of my favourite comedy characters wouild say (Frasier Crane) ....."I'm listening"...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sleepyhollow

You'll find a lot of us here in your position - I tried for 20 years to 'control' my drinking like my friends could. I never could manage it.

In the end I accepted I couldn't and gave up drinking entirely. It meant a lot of changes, but my life now is immeasurably better.

SR was instrumental in helping me find my way to a solution that worked for me.
I hope we can help you too

Welcome!
D
Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well thanks Dee74!! As you must all know, it is scary proposition admitting you have a problem. I ma looking for 'words for wisdom' from people wiser than me, and "trodden that road'!!
Hope I have come to the right site and, (possibly) there are people in the same situation as me (possibly from the UK too, or anywhere).
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'm an Aussie LOL but yeah there's loads of UK people here too.

It is a scary proposition - I must have fought that fear alone for 5 years or so...but the support here is great

D
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR, Sleepy. Lots of good people here. Look around the site....and post often.....you'll learn tons.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would start by seeing your doctor and explaining that you want to stop drinking. Depending on your drinking habits, you may need medical help to safely detox from the alcohol. AFter being detoxed, it could help you to get into some kind of 'treatment', like outpatient counseling. AA could help you too. PLease see your doctor. You CAN stop drinking, you may just need help in getting stopped.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community!