Notices

Only an addict would...

Old 12-12-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Only an addict would...

A couple of things have been brought to my attention recently and although I have already shared my experience and opinions with those who came to me, I was just wondering what my SR family would have to say.

[1] Every year we have two holiday marathons...one at Thanksgiving and the other during the Xmas holiday. The facilty we generally use has a small platform area at the front of the room and this is usually where the secretary or chair of each meeting sits. Behind them (on the platform) is a podium that is used by the churches and politicians that frequently use the facilty. This year, during the Thankgiving marathon, several speakers chose to either speak from behind the podium or lean against it while sharing. Needless to say, a couple of members had a problem with that.

These two members are making a lot of noise - saying the the subcommittee that put on the marathon is violating traditions by promoting "big I's" over "little U's" by having their speakers "talk down" to the audience. They said the speakers that used the podium portrayed themselves as superior and the subcommittee is at fault. I was there and I saw no such superior behavior. I saw no tradition violation and as far as I know, the subcommittee isn't responsible for storage of props left in the facility or for where speakers stand when sharing (not directly, anyway). Only an addict would make a mountain out of a molehill in this situation. IMO, if they had a problem with anything they should've taken it up with the speakers. What do you think?

[2] Tonight there's a fundraiser being held at a facility our fellowship uses for meetings, dances, etc...Flyers were circulated announcing the event and many of our members are in an uproar. The event is not sponsored by any of our subcommittees nor any our our groups. Here's the deal - every year a bunch of male members get together to attend a convention in Ohio in January. This "get away for the men" has become a tradition here and many look forward to going every year. It has come to the point where the women of our area follow suit and attend a specific convention out of town annually. There's a whole lot of stories I could tell...but that's for another thread.

But here's what's upsetting members: the fundraiser isn't an NA approved event and there's no "body" to speak of being held accountable for the money raised. Many see it as a prime opportunity for the misappropriation of funds and that the NA name shouldn't have been used without bringing it to the ASC first. IMO, if they couldn't afford to go on their annual trip, they should've cancelled it or do as they've always done. Only an addict would come up with a way to get others to pay for their vacation. What do you think?

G
Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
REZ

1. I have no problem with people speaking at a podium. It's been done for years. Big deal.

2. Doesn't sound like a good situation to me. Why can't these people put their time/money into regular, NA-sanctioned events? I don't renegade meetings or fundraisers because there is no accountability/connection to the larger fellowship.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

The only disagreement I have with anything above is that "only an addict" would do them. Really those are pretty standard human behavior...inferiority complexes and wanting to get somebody to foot the bill.

I can understand why some people would have an issue with the use of a podium or raised dias and bring it up at a group conscience session. I think it's worth hashing out, because it can help people work through what their real issues are, why it bothers them, etc.

No way should a group us the NA name to raise funds for their personal trip, and attending a conference with a group of buddies qualifies as a personal trip. If buddies want to help one another out to pay their way, great, if they want to rent a kitchen somewhere and throw themselves a pancake breakrast fundraiser, great, as long as they under no circumstances mention NA, nor should they hand out flyers at the meetings. Their personal fundraiser would be something to mention to their buds after the meeting...since it has nothing to do with NA or recovery per se, but more with their personal choice to attend as an informal group.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

1. I don't get how the podium is a problem. If I were sponsoring someone who had a problem with a situation like that, I'd encourage her to inventory why her self-esteem was threatened.

2. These guys aren't the Cub Scouts, right?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
The only disagreement I have with anything above is that "only an addict" would do them. Really those are pretty standard human behavior...inferiority complexes and wanting to get somebody to foot the bill.
C'mon...Lol!! I was just kidding.

If I were sponsoring someone who had a problem with a situation like that, I'd encourage her to inventory why her self-esteem was threatened.
Exactly!!

Thank you.
G
Old 12-14-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh Please, Fer Christs sake. Tell them to grow up!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

#1. No problem here. I like to hear and see the person speaking to me anyway.
#2 no problem here for me as long as NA is not involved in any way. If a group of guys want to get together that all happen to be members of the same underground society so be it...however if it is being announced at NA mgts, using NA funds ect there lies the problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

1. Where people are sitting, or standing, when they speak is not as important
as them sharing a simple message of hope and freedom from active addiction.

2. This type of behavior speaks for itself.