Notices

What's the best e-cigarette? HELP

Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

What's the best e-cigarette? HELP

I'm thinking that this may be my salvation. I want to switch to the e-cig then start the Chantix. I smoke Marlboro 27 blend which is like a medium strength cig. I'm looking for the most "satifaction" if that makes any sense. I really need help with this.

thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
I'm thinking that this may be my salvation. I want to switch to the e-cig then start the Chantix. I smoke Marlboro 27 blend which is like a medium strength cig. I'm looking for the most "satifaction" if that makes any sense. I really need help with this.

thanks
This is a quit smoking and quit nicotine group I hardly think it is the place to ask for recomendations for a electronic cigarette with nicotine in my opinion. It sounds like you want to stop smoking the best advice I have for you is to attend a nicotine anonymous group and read the materials located at whyquit.com.
You can do this!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Windy - you have mail.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Quit Smoking or not ????

Hi Windy,

I tried to quit smoking several times but found it was the way I quit drinking...
just make my mind up to do it & do it. I tried the medication my doc suggested but became very manic on it so just quit without anything to help.

I had been smoking the lightest cigs I could find which were Calton's with the amount of nicotine & tar printed on the package...but that could be false too.

I worked jig saw puzzles at my kitchen table to keep my hands busy & joined a Support Group that was for people trying to quit smoking that was on the Internet.

It has been five years now...& I still have a craving for them but remember how my Mom died of complications with COPD after being in a nursing home for two years on a ventalator. I also remember how hard it was for me to stay quit....this was much harder for me than quitting alcohol.

I wish you the best of luck....keep sharing & look for a support forum for the people that want to quit smoking.

kelsh
Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think asking about the e cigarettes is inappropriate here. I see it as a way to step down. I am interested in learning more about them too. I'm too afraid to try the Chantix. If anyone has info re the e cigs, please PM me.

Thanks!

Lenina
Old 12-13-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

I have been trying to quit smoking myself.

I would love to have some info on the e cigs, please pm me.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know which one is the best, but I have heard success from these e cigarettes. Eventually you're just smoking air but still making the gestures which is part 2 of the habit which is really hard for some of us. I'd like to try also. If anyone knows the best one, I'd like to know also!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been using the e-cigarette for about 6 weeks now and it is by far the best way to get off regular cigarettes, called "analogs" in the e-cig world. With my e-cig I have zero cravings for a regular cigarette. Can any traditional nicotine replacement therapy match that? The patch, gum, cold turkey do not even begin to put up a fight compared to this absolutely amazing recent invention.

It doesn't REALLY matter which one you get but I can tell you this: do not buy a starter kit for the ridiculous $125 or whatever places like smoking everywhere and GreenSmoke charge. You can find starter kits for models like the RN4081, M401, and DSE901 (to name a few popular ones) for $25-$50.. Add a 30mL bottle of e-liquid for $15-20 and you'll be SET for a month, if not more. After that you can just keep buying a 30ml bottle every month. Compare that to the price of nicotine gum or patches, c'mon. If you don't believe me, look it up on google product search. You can order in a variety of nicotine strengths, ranging from none to 36mg, and even higher. Most regular smokers will be comfortable starting with the 24 or 36 mg strength.

Basically, the device uses a lithium battery to heat a metal element that vaporizes a nicotine/propylene glycol mixture, creating a smoke-like vapor that you can see, smell, and hits your throat like any ol' ciggie.

In my experience, the e-cigarette is more enjoyable than regular smokes because it is a gadget. There is a bit of a learning curve and a bit of trial and error, maybe some frustrating moments, but quality is improving every month. I have way way more fun with this than a regular cig. Don't let anyone deter you from this idea or tell you it is a scam. It is untrue. These things have been growing in popularity since the moment of their inception. Get at least this: 2 batteries, manual or automatic doesn't matter, 2 atomizers, some cartridges, an AC and USB charger (in case one breaks, which happened to me and sent me back to regulars for 2 days) and some e-liquid (the pre-filled cartridges may be easier but will wind up more expensive in the end). You will not be disappointed. Do the research, try it out, see for yourself. We do not need to go completely broke or be kicked out of every establishment for our nicotine addiction anymore. Nor do we need to suffer complete insanity by suddenly quitting one day.

welcome to the new millenium folks. This is truly a godsend.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-12-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: removed forum link
Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have personally heard some bad reports about this method and don't recommend it.

Health Canada

On March 27, 2009, Health Canada issued an advisory against electronic cigarettes. The advisory stated "Although these electronic smoking products may be marketed as a safer alternative to conventional tobacco products and, in some cases, as an aid to quitting smoking, electronic smoking products may pose risks such as nicotine poisoning and addiction."

World Health Organization

The World Health Organization proclaimed in September 2008 that it does not consider the electronic cigarette to be a legitimate smoking cessation aid, and demanded that marketers immediately remove from their materials any suggestions that the WHO considers electronic cigarettes safe and effective. The WHO states that to its knowledge, "no rigorous, peer-reviewed studies have been conducted showing that the electronic cigarette is a safe and effective nicotine replacement therapy. WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid." WHO Tobacco Free Initiative director ad interim Douglas Bettcher states, "If the marketers of the electronic cigarette want to help smokers quit, then they need to conduct clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework. Until they do that, WHO cannot consider the electronic cigarette to be an appropriate nicotine replacement therapy, and it certainly cannot accept false suggestions that it has approved and endorsed the product."
Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid."

Simply put, this is harm reduction. You have to admit it is better than trying and failing over and over to quit smoking cigarettes. The nicotine poisoning risk refers to the liquid. Don't spill it all over yourself or drink it.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I have personally heard some bad reports about this method and don't recommend it.
This is a quit smoking/nicotine group. I do not see how a E-Cigarette fits into this equation here. Would it be appropriate for a alcoholic to take a pill version of alcohol so as not to be drinking?

to become free from the drug nicotine,
Try Nicotine Anonymous or Whyquit.org.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If the pill halted cravings and were easier to step off than the booze itself, I'd say it would be very pertinent to the issue of cessation.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought e cigs were pretty much akin to the gum or to patches.
Turns out that's not the case.

They're banned in my country - Australia - for safety reasons, and I see the US FDA is concerned too:

FDA Warns of Health Risks Posed by E-Cigarettes.

I'm no longer a smoker so I have no personal axe to grind - but I think anyone thinking about using these methods needs to know these things too.

D
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

*All* information is good to have.
But, the issue of harm reduction is *also* a positive good.

And please, let us not forget that the WHO is a POLITICAL organization.
There are politics involved in smoke cessation too, ladies and gentlemen.
And BIG MONEY!
"If the marketers of the electronic cigarette want to help smokers quit, then they need to conduct clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework. Until they do that, WHO cannot consider the electronic cigarette to be an appropriate nicotine replacement therapy,
Unless, of course, there is a constituency powerful enough to pressure them to do the studies faster, or to skip studies, because people are dying.

Well, people *are* dying! From smoking cigarettes.
And this product reduces that harm.

and it, (WHO), certainly cannot accept false suggestions that it has approved and endorsed the product."
I never saw anyone suggest that anywhere.
And I've been researching this product for quite some time.
For the very reason people are interested in it here.

I, too, want more information, from people who have actual experience using the product. Because I've struggled for a very long time. And I *know* that at least *part* of my issue with quitting is the hand/mouth movements.
(Please don't tell me to use a straw, cinnamon stick, toothpick, etc. Been there, done that. It's *not* the same.)

And harm reduction *does* matter.
Lives matter.
At least mine does to me.

Shalom!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Life!

Dee,
That article is mostly addressed to the parents of children - who are not allowed to smoke in the US anyway.

And it goes on to say that there may be some bad chemicals in the e-cigs. It mentions two. That's no where near the over 500 in regular cigarettes!

Harm reduction.
It's what e-cigs are about.

Though, I completely agree that information is good, so people can make an *informed* choice.
But, choice is the key word here.

So, please do not PM this very important information to each other.
Support each other, as this forum is *meant* to do!
This is one more way to reduce the harm of cigarette smoking.
For us and others.
(Others suffer no harmful second hand smoke.)

And *I* want to know that information!!!

And those who do not *approve,*
(not those offering information, mind you!),
But, those who are simply negative
to the idea of e-cigs as harm reduction.
Well...*perhaps* you need not reply?
Because this thread is clearly not for you.
And you're not being supportive
to those of us who have struggled for YEARS
And years and years.

Shalom!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said Teach I have no axe to grind - I'm not a smoker anymore.
I just think people should be given access to all sides of the argument

D
Old 01-13-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Life!

I agree, Dee.
People *need* information.

That's why I hate to see people saying "PM me with your information" on this board.
Especially if they're afraid of negative backlash.
(Not articles with information, mind you. I never think they hurt, even if I disagree with the premise of them.)

But, on a forum about smoke cessation,
we should be *sharing* what can help.
That's why we're here!

Shalom!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am a closet smoker, only smoking a few cigarettes a day but finding it difficult to quit altogether. I'm afraid cold turkey will be my method of choice. Putting anti-freeze in my lungs is not an option to me.

Not intending to debate here, just bringing forward information from reputable sources.

The American Lung Association applauds the Food and Drug Administration for its announcement about e-cigarettes. FDA's preliminary findings show e-cigarettes contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals, including ingredients found in antifreeze.

For too long, e-cigarette manufacturers have sold these nicotine delivery devices - absent FDA review and approval. These findings indicate FDA is serious about enforcing the law to protect consumers from unapproved products.

In light of these initial findings, the American Lung Association urges the FDA to act immediately to halt the sale and distribution of all e-cigarettes unless the products have been reviewed and approved for sale by the FDA.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

propylene glycol is is "generally considered safe" for consumption by the FDA. It is a food-grade anti-freeze used for many more purposes than just that. Let's not confuse it with the stuff you put in your car's radiator.

I'll take my chances with a food-grade preservative over all the other chemicals found in tobacco smoke.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

E-cigarettes do NOTHING other than deliver nicotine a different way. I tried them, reverted back to regular cigarettes eventually until I quit cold turkey.

Most effective way to quit cold turkey? Read Allen Carr's book "The easy way to quit smoking".
I smoked two pack a day & had been smoking for over thirty years. It was rediculously easy to quit JUST BY READING THAT BOOK. Three days of discomfort and I have been good ever since.

One thing though. You have to WANT TO QUIT. If you really don't want to quit smoking, don't bother reading the book.