Notices

Advice/Help/support...opiate withdrawls

Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice/Help/support...opiate withdrawls

Ive been battling with opiates for a little under a year...I dont know how i got myslef into such a messed up situation but im ready to stop now!

Ill give a little history and for those willing to read, youre help, advice and support would be greatly appreciated.
Im a former Marine,a personal trainer, and i have found myslef in a bad spot right now...I was in a motorcycle acident a little over 2 years ago. i went on and off the pain killers with no problems.

Fast forward to the begining of the summer when i broke up with my girlfriend of 8 years i found myslef taking a perk 30 here and there because it made me forget the pain i was in because of the breakup...and that soon became 4,5 and even 6 at a time. really anything i could get my hands on..oxys, perks, viks...not every day..but atleast ever other day, and the days i didnt have them i was depressed and felt like sh**.
that went on most of the summer...when in august i found methadone...i realized i could take 8 or 9 and feel great for a couple days..not think about my ex..and things seemed pretty good. but after a while that went away...i started getting depressed any time i didnt have them because they wernt around or my money was out.
I had been taking methadone for about 4 months..untill 2 days ago.

I came to my mom and came clean...I have a brother who is a heroin addict so i was scared to tell her my problem...but i did.

I am now on day 3 of no drugs...i feel like crap, no energy, no appitie...but most of all im depressed, i keep thinking about my ex...and wanting to use to take those thoughts away...I have read the horribale storys of methadone withdrawl but so far im just down...no energy, and sad very sad.

when i came clean to my mom i sobed in her arms for an hour...i have never felt like this before...but im determaned to stay clean and get over this feeling.....
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am glad that you have decided to live your life free from addiction. If you have any difficulty with the withdrawal, I suggest you consult a doctor. You will find much support and encouragement here-
Welcome!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you...is there any thing i should expect? i heard withdrawls dont happen till day 4 sumtimes....i need to get my mind in a better place also...i used to be a happy upbeat person...not so much right now.
was i not on the methadone for long enough to get the really bad withdrawls?? i dont know but im feeling prety low right now
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Still Learning..

Welcome!!

The first step is admitting you have a problem... and thats exactly what you have done and you should be proud of yourself.. You decided its time to stop and nobody is forcing you.. I suggest talking to your doctor about your addiction they will know what's best for you..

As far as withdrawals everybody is different.. you will most likely feel like sh!t for about 3-5 days.. after that you will start to feel better.. most withdrawals symptoms are diarrhea, insomnia, leg cramps, hot/cold sweats, and depression among other things.. But the intensity and how long it will last is different for each person.. Take as many hot showers as you can, drink lots of fluids, and sleep whenever you get a chance to.. try to attend a NA meeting.. Talking about your addiction to people who have been through it will help.. And remeber... you will get through this.. you will feel better.. Jut stay strong.. the best is yet to come! .. But again.. contacting a doctor about your addiction is the first step.. they will know whats best for you.. Keeping post on sr.. might seem dead now but people will be around to give you support and advice.. Best of luck and stay strong!!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply....
Tomorrow will be day 4....I actually went to a detox center to get some advice on day 1 and ended up meeting a great person there. Im going to a meeting with him tomorrow. I had to work tonight and felt like garbage...body aches, snezzing, runny nose. but im back at home and feel better now that im here....im going to get as much rest the next couple days. I keep you guys updated here....im determind to get through this!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing OK!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks..things seem to be getting a little better every day. Im still very lethargic, im getting cold chills all the time, and im just down, sad...but even that isnt as bad as day 1. Im still going stong....day 6 is tomorrow!
Now im leaving for work...a double shift at that...uhhhhh. ill check back soon!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eat to live, not live to eat

I too have a friend that has kicked his opiate habbit.... You are doing it cold turkey with nothing but support, i am astonished how your holding up.... You are very very strong, and I have so much admiration for you!
If you start to struggle too much dont hestitate to go to your GP doc. Methadone withdrawl is very long.... There are new meds out there with agonist / antagonist, properties that make them almost impossible to abuse and work wonders for people trying to break there opiate addiction. Good luck brother, thoughts and prayers out for you.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

keep being strong...i'm detoxing right now also, and i feel your pain. But when a couple weeks passes then you're done!! Goin cold turkey is pretty hardcore though with that stuff....u could go to the doctor and they can get you clean with little to no withdrawls. Whatever you choose...you're on the right path. Keep it up
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If you're at Day 6 you've almost got it whipped !! The psychological/depression part is difficult to get through also. Be on your toes. Exercise will help you A LOT !!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Merry Xmas Everyone!! Sorry I havent posted here in a while...I left my moms house after day 7 of my detox and i dont have internet at home.

Either way...Day 27!!! still going strong....I feel great! back in the gym training everyday, getting ready for an MMA fight in 2 months...life hasnt been this good in a while!
I have no cravings and no desire to use at all, i just think back to how horribale i felt less than a month ago and how i feel now...i never want to go back to that. the last year and a half of my life was very dark....

Anyway...im sorry i cant be around here more....ill check back when i can, and maybe next time i can be the one giving the advise and support!

I hope you all have a blessed holidays...i know mine have been.

later
Old 12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats devil dawg

Merry Christmas!
D
Old 12-25-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, don't take drugs to combat thoughts about women. Just learn how to duck objects really quickly...
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Zak

If you have access to jacuzzi use it, give yourself 10 days and and drink lots of water this helped me your not alone depression is part of the detox see your Dr. about that.It gets so much better after a few months ,also look for a P.A. meeting they really support and understand us pill addicts
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I am 911

Well I can tell you devildawg, that hits home for me. The stress I was under and a relationship contributed ALOT to my addiction problems.

I was in a stressful relationship during the time I was on my painkillers for chronic pain I am in, and during the relationship everytime she made me feel like blowing up, I'd just take a pill or two and everything would seem fine. I started out taking everything as prescribed, then through time and finding out what the pills did to me, I learned, hey this fixes sh*t, and it was downhill from there. I ended up not even being able to talk to her without being on my pills. And dwelling on the past is a huge problem for me, and one of my triggers. And I have yet to find a way to just put the past behind me and move on. I even think about girlfriends past, problems from the past, fights, anything that would stress me out. It's like I try and find something to stress me out.

And I think its horrible because you become used to popping pills to take away the problems of life. The grass gets greener, the sky more blue, and the clouds just roll away and the sun shines again. I know that feeling all too well. Pills didn't do to me what I've seem them do to a lot of users I've seen. It brought me up, yet down at the same time, if that makes sense. It brought me "up" in the sense it gave me energy, made me want to go out and do things, made me want to be a useful, hard working person. Unlike most people who would lose their job and everything over them the pills had the opposite effect on me. It made me a go getter. But it brought me "down" in the sense that it took my stress and anxiety away, and just made things all around better. And I have yet to find a doctor, pyschiatrist or anything to tell me why these pills did what they did to me. I also found that, when I took too many, I had what they call a paradoxial effect. I became mean, easy to anger, frustrated, mad at everything and everyone, and easilly irratated. It was a fine line between taking the right amount to feel "normal" and going over the line and taking too much and becoming that angry screwed up pillhead.

In my opinion, I think that just using for a "high" and getting clean would be easier, because now for me, everytime I get stressed, worried, worked up, or anything, I crave the pills. It's horrible. And I keep worrying myself thinking, is this how it's going to be my whole life? But then I just keep telling myself, just get through today. If I had just been a user to get high, I wouldn't be fighting the feeling constantly every day of wanting to go back to the pills to feel normal, stress free, and non depressed.