Notices

Baltimore Convention

Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baltimore Convention

I'm just back from the Baltimore convention. The fellowship and the speakers were awesome. I had a great time. The only down side was that the fees are getting out of control there...$30 just to get in, $12 each for the dances, $20 for the banquet, $16 for the breakfasts...you could spend a fortune. I think it would be out of reach financially for many even with a lot of clean time. I think it's time they scale it back. Maybe a cheaper venue then the Hilton would be a start.

Love,
KJ
Old 12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

maybe you could become your area's CSR...Convention Service Rep.

I usually don't attend the paid events. I pay the registration fee because I can afford it.
No one is turned away from any of the workshops or speakers at any convention I have ever been to.

I go for the workshops and speakers. I like to join others I've met for dinner outside the hotel. If I stay at the hotel over night I take my own food for most of the meals I will need.

There is talk of eliminating some of the paid events such as the banquet in our region.

Peace,
Missy
Old 12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a good idea, Missy. I really think that in an area like Baltimore (or maybe everywhere in the country with the way the economy is going now?) that they should reconsider charging for every single thing. Most conventions I've been to have a free dance and a free comedy show. This is the first one I've been to where we had to pay for the dance, the comedy show, the banquet, everything.

I didn't see anyone get turned away from the meetings if they didn't have on a wristband. They did have some indigent packets. A lady I know got one and said it wasn't hard to get. I wouldn't do that because I have a job, but I'm glad they offered them for those who don't.

I think I will take your suggestion to heart and get involved in next year's convention. After all, I love going to them!

Thanks,
KJ
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If there is a DJ...they get paid...if there are comedians....they get paid...the caterer gets paid...the vendors make money...etc.

Often the meeting space(s) and banquet areas are included for use if the convention committee guarantees so many rooms to be rented during the event. Faciltities vary.
Other times meeting space is paid for. If the committees keep in mind the event is for the gathering of recovering addicts and not for profit to say....send money to WSO then things turn out more affordable.

I have and been involved in convention hosting and some regions do not operate the same as others.

For example in my region (Indiana) we don't have to worry about anyone having to pay for parking. Now...in my sponsor's region (Chicago) parking it um....well no less than outrageous!
Chicago banquets can be $50 to $55 bucks!! I did attend the banquet last year at the Chicago Regional Conv. and the food was a buffet (all you can eat) and it was prepared by some outstanding chefs and was supreme! It was excellent food but I will not spend that much again, it was still too pricey.
ISNAC (Indiana) banquet was $35 last year....and the food really isn't that great.

Becoming involved in the planning is the best way to get into the solution.

peace,
Missy

Last edited by Missybuns; 12-01-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that the main problem here is where they are hosting it. They have it in the heart of downtown. Parking is a lot, the hotels in the Inner Harbor area are very expensive, and of course, the Hilton charges more for everything then almost any other place, because it is nice. If they had it in the Baltimore suburbs, as they used to, say at the Mariott Hunt Valley, it would be much more affordable and parking would be free. Plus, there would be a lot of options to eat out. At the Hilton it is really high to eat. And the only places near are really up there too. I think that the planners are mostly people with many years of recovery who have good careers. They may be forgetting that most addicts are struggling financially, especially now.

Love,
KJ
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Down in Charlottesville we had ours at the Doubletree.........6 nationally known speakers,two 24hr cafes,a dance,24hr meetings , and one fee $25. I think. I don't know what we paid the hotel. The hotel was so empressed with the convention they kept a rack of our handouts for the hotel.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"6 nationally known speakers"

It just tickles me when people become or attempt to become celebs in an anonymous fellowship. I have yet to see one of them stick and stay.

I agree on the topic. Conventions are costly and its nice to attend one that isnt every now and again.