Introduction

Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hi SR! I've been lurking for about a year on this board and its time to introduce myself.
I'm a major codie in recovery and very much a work in progress.
I've been living with addicts all my life.
My father was a chronic alcoholic who died of the disease at 60. My husband of twenty five years died of alcoholism at 55. I'm currently living with my childhood sweetheart who is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict on the methadone program. My sister-in-law is a crack addict and I am raising her 15 year old son as she was badly neglecting him. I have two adult children of my own, a son who has severe autism and a daughter who is my best pal. She has given me two beautiful grandchildren and lives close by with her husband and family.
My nephew is doing very well with me. I strive to keep my home a calm nuturing place free of addiction drama. My recovering boyfriend is doing very well and has been on his program for two years. I just got legal custody of my nephew in a kith and kin agreement so I'm hoping things will get calmer with his mother as I can now take care of most of his needs. He's been badly damaged but remains a sweet guy and hopefully will have a good life.
This board has been a huge comfort to me. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome Ninja, I am so glad you stepped out of the shadows and joined us here.

Your story is heart breaking and yet it sounds like you have done a lot of work to find a good place for yourself in the midst of all this.

Thank you for sharing that with us, and please make yourself comfortable here as others will be along soon to welcome you also.

Hugs
Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

just want to chime in and welcome you. i'm glad you joined us too. sounds like you have been taking care of yourself and your son is blessed to have you. sorry about all your past troubles but you do sound like a true overcomer.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Yes, I'm slowly learning to survive quite well. Since the death of my husband, I've built my own business up to support the household, taken on my daughter as a partner to help support her household, learned that I am a pretty good artist (accepted as a member of the Portrait Society of Canada), and taught myself to play the guitar and banjo. Whew! Since taking the focus off addiction and putting it on my own physical and mental health I've been a busy gal!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Taking Baby Steps to Sanity

Ninja< welcome

Sounds like you have come a long way even before finding this place. Your nephew is really lucky to have you and I bet you feel lucky to have him.

I look forward to hearing from you from time to time.

- Susan
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero