Notices

my story

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile my story

i started taking percocet 5/325mg q6h, and then i was taking about 8-10 tablets a day. I also take either oxycontin 20mg twice a day or 40mg bid, total daily dose around 120mg of oxycodone. I decided that i do not want to take these anoymore. Monday was the last day where i had about 120mg and yesterday i only had 1 oxycontin 20mg (i thought it might be better to wean off of it rather than d/c it straight. What do you guys think about this? Any ideas or thoughts? Yesterday after cutting the dose by 100mg, i felt normal, i cleaned the whole house, and tried to keep busy. Today i woke up and told myself that i am not going to take ANY oxycodone. I am taking Vitamin B6, L-Tryosine 1000mg, and Aleve for a little muscle pain, but so far its going ok, i got a bit of a headache but other than that so far so good. I've been on the pills for about 2 years. I have some suboxone 2mg tablets in case of severe cravings that i will take if i need them but i havent had to take it yet. Im off work for the week, hopefully i will be oxy-free and feeling great by next monday!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Wild guess: this isn't the first time you've done this, yes?
You already seem pretty well informed.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

this is actually the first time ive done it! i work in medical environment so i have acess to information regarding all sorts of vitamin and medications. ive also been doing ALOT of research before stopping (reading different peoples experiences and the worst things to expect) so i prepare for the worst even if it doesnt happen (cross my fingers) I am sorta following the Thomas REcipe, but minus the Valium, i have some ativan from last year so i can take 1 or 2 of those if i need to to help me sleep at night. The only thing thats happening to me.....IM HUNGRY!!! lol
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jason

I think the responsible step is always seeing a doctor.
For me, I did a lot of self medicating over the years - and a lot of research - and it didn't work out so well.

D
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards.

Sounds like you're basically going cold-turkey off of 120mg/day of oxycodone, and you've been on it for 2 years straight?

You are not going to be feeling too well in the very near future I'm afraid. In fact, I'd imagine that, based on the timing you described earlier, right at this very moment you're sitting there going 'holy crap ... this is SOOO much worse than I'd imagined it could ever be'. That is, unless you've already caved and taken some subs. In which case, you're probably feeling perfectly fine. And you will ... until a couple days after those run out ... although being on them for a little bit can take a little bit of the edge off, in the long run, you still have w/d's to look forward to pretty much no matter what.

But I hope you can hang tough and skip the subs. Honestly, you CAN do it. If you can stay off the opioids, you really should be feeling pretty danged decent by the time you have to go to work Monday morning ...

Either way, good luck, and keep posting! Maybe get a medical professional involved, like Dee said
Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jason, If you ask me, going from 120mg down to 20 with hopes of not having a bad detox is not going to work so well. After 30+ yrs of doing opioids, it sounds to me like you are cold turkeing to me. The first couple of day's you might be fine but soon enough the body will let you know it wants the drugs.First question is how long have you been useing? the long, the harder the body will crave. I would suggest you get in touch with a detox center or Dr if you've been on the for any amount of time. Sure you could do it yourself, but y make it harder than it has to be. Good Luck and hope you come back to SR when your done.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I gathered you had experience in the medical field. So do I. For me, a little knowledge really was a dangerous thing.

Have you considered what you will do presuming you get past the physical w/d? It's best to have a plan in place now.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey guys, well ive been off of them for almost 72 hours, its been 3 days, i wont lie, i havent felt the best (aches and pains and constant headache), but i beared with it and dealt with it. I tried to keep my mind off of things and went to the mall x-mas shopping yesterday haha. Wasn't the best decision but oh well. I have been sleeping fine too. I havent taken and subs at all to ease the w/d's. I just hope this feeling like crap goes away soon!! i have a little more energy today when i woke up. I havent caved in at all, im on a mission
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Jason,

I was taking 30mg of percocet for a year and before that 10mg of lortab for 2 years. I was taking about 120mg of the percocet a day and 80mg of the lortab a day and the w/d were horrible. I did go to detox and I am thankful for those people! If it wasn't for detox I couldn't have done it alone.

If you go to a family doctor and tell them what's going on, I think most of them will give you detox meds to go home on. I went to my family doc the day I got out of detox and I was still withdrawing and he gave me meds to take home. Just think about seeing a doc, tell someone else so that you aren't alone. This isn't a battle you want to fight alone.

Good luck!!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stagebear:
umm no i havent thought about after the physical w/d....theres more to worry about ??? uh ohh
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by jason090883 View Post
Stagebear:
umm no i havent thought about after the physical w/d....theres more to worry about ??? uh ohh
It's not so much an issue of worrying but rather being prepared.
Try this analogy: As a general rule, diets don't work. The basic problem with dieting is that there's no long range plan for continued healthy eating following weight loss.
It may help to think of withdrawal as a diet- restricting or eliminating the intake of a specific substance. Many of us can do and have done it...many many times. Just as with a diet, we swear we've had enough. Dieters may post pictures of their fat selves on the fridge as reinforcement. We addicts swear we'll always remember the pain of withdrawal and will use that as a defense against ever using again.
Then, with both dieters and addicts, the spectre of that substance we so enjoyed reels it's ugly head again. And all painful memories are wiped away as quickly that dieters fat picture off the fridge.
Some people choose to use 12 step groups. Others re-devote themselves to family and jobs. Hobbies can be useful. There are many options. But it's dangerous to assume that, once we're past withdrawal, we needn't worry about ever using again.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

stagebear, you are very right by comparing this battle with a weightloss diet. you couldnt have put it any better! I have thought about what i will do when i finish with the withdrawls. I am going to get more involved in work and my relationship with the gf. no one knows i was taking the pills, not even my gf whom i live with, so i am going to stay off of them and start a clean slate to myself and treat everyone with respect and get all my emotions back right now, i dont have any pains, its just that i feel blah, like i just want to relax, like im lazy. I hope this goes away soon, i got cleaning to do! ive been drinking lots of fluids today and eating so hopefully it will give me my power back. My feelings on doctors is that I got myself into this situation, i should be responsible for getting myself out of it no matter how bad the w/d's are. I have to deal with it as i've done this to myself. but tomorrow will be day 4 and i am hoping that the end is near!!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well its friday! which means its day 4!! i feel alot better! i woke up at 7am and was ready to go....i dont really feel blah anymore, i can function perfectly fine (so far) thanks to everyone who posted on here, all of your comments really meant alot to me! I couldnt have done it without the support and reading about other peoples issues. Cold turkey is the way to go 3 days of blah, but then youll be fine, thanks again!! ill keep you all informed!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by jason090883 View Post
Cold turkey is the way to go 3 days of blah, but then youll be fine,
(Bold mine)
True for you, and I'm glad to read that. But c/t for some people is a much more involved process.