Notices

Jail

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jail

Has anyone out there ever had to detox from opiates in jail and if so how bad is it ? I'm probably going to be going to jail because about 8 months I got with some pills and they gave me probation, but I think my PO is going to violate. I'm just trying to detox before I go, but I don't know if Ill be able to. I'm sure scared of doing this in jail but on the flip side I know I will get it over with. Please let me know.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sis-in-law detoxed from Opiates many times in jail. Its awful, but on the bright side you arent expected to go to work, clean the house,mind the kids etc. Get a bunk as close to the toilet as you can, drink plenty of water, and go to the NA meetings there. My sis-in-law is now in recovery.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really think you should detox before jail if you have any control over it. Jail would be depressing anyways, and with the opiate withdrawal depression... I just can't imagine it. My vote is no on the the jail detox. It's nice to be able to go outside when you want and have little tiny things you love like your bed to be able to have during withdrawal.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Right now I'm guessing you might have access to a warm bed, some extra blankets, plenty of fluids (including Gatorate), as many hot baths as you need, chicken soup, ways of keeping yourself distracted (movies, SR, TV, whatever), a private bathroom...all things that can make the experience just a little bit less unpleasant.

If you want my advice, as someone who detoxed at home after a 6 year addiction to smoking heroin -- it sucked, but it was worth every second a thousand times over. Just remember that the symptoms are simply symptoms -- all of them will pass, and as long as you keep pushing ahead and stay clean, you will never have to go through withdrawal again.

A lot of addicts do wind up detoxing behind bars. The only good thing I can see coming out of that is that the pain and misery might be severe enough to set you straight.

I second the suggestion about finding meetings, no matter where you are.

Of course, the best day to start getting free from active addiction is always today. Life is precious (even if active addiction doesn't always make it feel that way) -- it really is.

I wish you a lot of courage, determination and tenacity. Things will get better clean.

Stay safe. Take really good care of yourself.

Huge hugs!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you at least taper as much as possible in the time remaining before you go to jail? The other option is to check into a detox or 30 day treatment center. Usually, when VOP warrants are served, the people serving them will wait until you finish the treatment. They have to wait because the staff won't usually admit to the police you are in there unless you are wanted on a dangerous felony, like homicide. So just do the treatment, and then, if you are given the grace to be allowed to detox in medical supervision, when you are done, have the courtesy to turn yourself in to do your time. And get to as many meetings as you can while in treatment and in jail. Once you are done dealing with these distractions, your recovery will be that much more focused.

Love,
KJ
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually get sick to my stomach when I see posts about going to jail for taking pills. It's unbelievable.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Take 2 or 3 pairs of long johns and warm socks. Jail is cold. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If he/she is going to "violate" you ...which isn't likely...as YOU probably violated ur supervision, you may want to consider asking them for residential inpatient treatment in lieu of jail.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dont know how it is for probation but nj state parole lets you violate 3 times before they give you time. If you violate for a dirty **** and your cool with your PO they might send you to a halfway house. For 180 days which is what they would give you in jail. Now when I was in state they had methadone maintainence, so do some research and see if your local jail does. Otherwise its going to suck no doubt about it. Jail sucks, withdraws suck, and them both together and what do you got? A giant suckfest! (no prison pun intended)
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Punka**

If you detox on your own, you're much more likely to stay sober I'd think.

If you do it in jail its almost like being forced to do it, and not 110% a choice that you've made on your own, thus making you more likely to return to the same behaviors.

I'd really try to kick it before going to jail if you can. Jail is miserable enough as it is! Especially the first week when they usually have you in quarantine! Here in Philly, they do have methadone maint. but it's usually a week before you see the doctor, so sickness has set in already at that point.

If you have the resources, I'd go ahead and try to get on Suboxone. If you have an existing prescription, I think it's required by law that the jail administers medication previously prescribed by a physician (as long as you bring the script in with you, ALREADY FILLED) at least until you are evaluated by one of their doctors! That way you've got something to curb your sickness when you go. Hell, your PO may even consider that you took the initiative to enlist in suboxone treatment and waive your violation??

It's worth a shot!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My mom used to be a prison (now, this is not jail, I'm talking state prison, fwiw) nurse part-time for extra money. She said that she used to see heroin and methadone addicts lying in pools of their own filth and vomit, so sick they couldn't even move from bed, crying non-stop for somebody to please get them some methadone before they die ... and that the guards liked to come by with fire hoses and blast them 'clean' from outside their cells (cause they stank), typically while they berated them in most foul-mouthed of ways. Then they got to shiver in their wet bedding and clothes for hours until they dried off.

They basically tortured junkies there, and laughed about it.

No doubt a lot of these clowns went to church on Sundays, too ... but that's another subject for another time

Now, I doubt they'd treat you like this in county jail if you're just there for violating parole, but ... if I were you, (despite making light of the subject upthread) I'd try real hard to avoid kicking dope in jail OR prison.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Punka**

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
My mom used to be a prison (now, this is not jail, I'm talking state prison, fwiw) nurse part-time for extra money. She said that she used to see heroin and methadone addicts lying in pools of their own filth and vomit, so sick they couldn't even move from bed, crying non-stop for somebody to please get them some methadone before they die ... and that the guards liked to come by with fire hoses and blast them 'clean' from outside their cells (cause they stank), typically while they berated them in most foul-mouthed of ways. Then they got to shiver in their wet bedding and clothes for hours until they dried off.

They basically tortured junkies there, and laughed about it.

No doubt a lot of these clowns went to church on Sundays, too ... but that's another subject for another time

Now, I doubt they'd treat you like this in county jail if you're just there for violating parole, but ... if I were you, (despite making light of the subject upthread) I'd try real hard to avoid kicking dope in jail OR prison.
I was in county jail for a brief stay a few years back. They put those who were detoxing in fire-proof 'security gowns' and gave them no sheets or blankets (only the strange paper sheets) and labeled them a suicide risk until they were cleared by a medical doctor and the psych.

Here is a link that shows the type of gowns I'm talking about:

MINNCOR Correctional Products
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I just wanted to say...I don't know, I'm speechless...

I think reading that really just makes me want to cry.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

You should check into the prison // county jail laws in florida on this issue. I did most of my running and using up in NYC and I know by law they are required to give you methadone daily if you tell them you are detoxing from heroin.

As for how much worse the withdrawal is? I can't say for sure as I have never been arrested and forced to detox in jail but I do know quite a few people who have. You get mixed responses. Some say it is awful while others say it actually lessens the mental withdrawal because there is no place to go. Mind doesn't f*** with you as much about scams you can pull and who you can rob in order to get money.

Good luck man ~~ Scott
Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SykoSuboxone

Opiate detox in jail is THE worst thing I have ever had to go through in my life. And Ive had to do it 3 times, it never get s any easier. IF you even think you might have to go, I would advise you detox yourself and chill for about 2 weeks prior to going, because you do not want to go through that in jail.

I too am facing time, again, have to go to court 2 days before Christmas, but Ive been sober for a couple months now, so the detox thing wont be as much of a problem. I dont know how bad drying up on suboxone is, but it cant be as bad as coing off of methadone and fentanyl. Best wishes