Notices

Can I detox off opiates using suboxone ?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can I detox off opiates using suboxone ?

I have about 9 suboxone left I got from a friend. I don't have money to go to the doc to get my own and I don't want to be depending on anything any more. A half of subox seems to last me all day and into the next morning. I guess my question is can I shorten my opiate withdraw by using these or will I just be prolonging the inevitable. I have heard that rehabs sometimes give these to people to detox in a short amount of time. THANK YOU for your replies. This is a great place.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Taking subs is not going to really shorten the total detox period (if anything it makes it last longer), but if you wean down using those 9 you've got (like, you'll want to get down to much lower than 4mg/day) before you quit, there's decent chance the w/d's will be less painful than they would've been had you just gone cold-turkey from whatever short-acting opioids you were getting high on before.

If you don't wean down, they are just prolonging the inevitable, and possibly making it worse. Stepping off of 4mg/subs per day is no picnic at all. You might *think* you're okay because w/d's will take a couple days to kick in ... but they WILL kick in, and they'll not be fun.

Welcome to the boards, and best of luck to you